Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion on Suzuki Outboards

My DF140 just turned 7. The only issue I've had was the IAC valve going out last year on it. It was very near the end of the warranty period and they swapped it out with zero questions. My next boat will very likely have a Zuke on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Had a 140 with no problems at all. My buddy has a pair of 300s on his boat and no problems. The biggest thing is finding who services them. Here in chapin there is one local option and I wouldn’t ever tell my worst enemy to take a boat there.

There are a few companies putting Suzuki motors on their boats. I'm not going to argue that. And I'm not going to argue that all of their motors fail quickly due to corrosion issues. But, there are multiple boat dealers up and down Hwy 17 that no longer sell or suggest Suzuki due to constant corrosion issues. I know of a few units that are older and still run flawlessly. I just know that if a manufacturer stated to not use the motor in the manner I plan on using it in, I'm not going to buy it. That's all.

We need input from our resident boat dealer on this no salt issue- who dat? Goin Coastal?

A pair of the zukes just won the bigrock, Just hope they are better made than the cars they tried to build. That was a nightmare for them
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    We need input from our resident boat dealer on this no salt issue- who dat? Goin Coastal?
    All you can get on a Sportsman is a Yamaha. At the end of the day it’s a crap shoot, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, you could get a lemon no matter what you pick.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 07-01-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    The manual literally states to not use the Suzuki brand in saltwater. They may have the best warranty out there, but they will not warranty corrosion, and that's exactly what kills those motors. They're good for about 2.5 years and then the salt water corrosion takes over.
    Oh crap!! I need to sell mine quick!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Love2labs View Post
    The manual literally states to not use the Suzuki brand in saltwater.
    What model is that?

This 150/175 manual does caution you to flush the motor after using in saltwater, but doesn't say not to use in saltwater. Also cautions you not to leave the motor down in salt water if mooring the boat. Both seem like common sense statements.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    A pair of the zukes just won the bigrock, Just hope they are better made than the cars they tried to build. That was a nightmare for them
    A lifted and regeared Samurai is bad assed off road

I had some great Zuki moto x bikes

That 1.3L was as powerful as 90 year old man.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    That 1.3L was as powerful as 90 year old man.
    LOL- and as slow

I have a df50 and has been a solid motor.

I have a DF90 on my 20' skiff. It's been a great motor and loved the price I paid. The older Suzuki's had a dissimilar metal plug or bolt that caused rapid corrosion in the block, which has since been corrected. Fuel economy is unbelievable. My old 90 Yami 2 stroke would cost me $50 to run out to N Inlet for the day. Now I can go out there 3 times for $50.

I rented a boat with a 250 Suzuki first time to the Bahamas and noticed it wasn’t peeing. Didn’t have a paperclip or any 100 lb mono so called boat rental place and was told “nooooo mon exhaust through the hub. It’s fiiiiiine if it’s not peeing.” I was at Treasure and headed to Elbow and told him that. He said alll goood mon. I’ll come get you if Somting happens. So I said fuck and ran it at 3800-4200 rpms for the 35-40ish min it takes to get to Tahiti Beach from Treasure. Anchored when got there borrowed a piece of wire and cleaned it out and it peed the rest of the week. Maybe I don’t know anything about outboards but I wouldn’t drive mine across h Elaine if it wasn’t peeing. Suzuki’s, that one at least will run an hour with out peeing and never sound overheat alarm for what it’s worth.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Years ago, I followed one(Samurai) in Tellico down to Helicopter Pad and The Rock Garden. That little thing was VERY capable! He went everywhere my sprung over CJ on 37s went...I am still impressed to this day. Also spent the night in the Jeeps in a rainstorm on the side of the mountain in Windrock because the same Samurai grenaded the transfer case. We had to daisy chain Jeeps in front of and behind him to get him off the mountain.

I won my first trophy on a 125 zukie and said nothing about the bikes. Yellow was king back them
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Anchored when got there borrowed a piece of wire and cleaned it out and it peed the rest of the week. Maybe I don’t know anything about outboards but I wouldn’t drive mine across h Elaine if it wasn’t peeing. Suzuki’s, that one at least will run an hour with out peeing and never sound overheat alarm for what it’s worth.
    I think all engines will still cool internally and that is more so a check for the operator. (Obv you want it to be flowing always though). I keep a water balloon filler on my boat to hook up on hose and that attach to pee hose to back flush . Usually loosens the crud

On Suzuki’s my mechanic has mentioned parts on back order and low units sticking/seizing. Had a friend w one that had computer go. Others have mentioned cheap internal parts. Have a buddy that had twin 175s and he put his boat away wet and had a lot of hours w no problems