Thread: Skip after sitting...

Default Skip after sitting...

2001 2500hd, 8.1L

The last two times I’ve traveled for work, when I got back and was able to drive my truck, it idles rough and runs rough for the first little bit. When I’m able to get down the road a short distance it smooths out and stays that way. I didn’t think anything about till last week when I traveled again, got back and it did the same thing. Is it really something about sitting for a week or is that a coincidence? Otherwise runs fine. I recently had the fuel pump replaced if you think that could have something to do with it.

Injectors maybe?

Got a scan tool by chance?

I had an ECT sensor go bad on mine and it was causing sporadic rough idle
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Intake gasket will cause rough idle but my 6.0L does it worse in cold weather. No issues in the summer months.

Leaking check valve letting fuel return into the tank could cause an issue. Is it hard to start, like it has to crank over longer than normal after sitting?

Nope. Cranks right up. And runs fine when I run it daily.

Had the same issue with a 2000 Camry, 4 cylinder with over 200,000 miles. It would run rough and skip at start up. Codes showed a misfire on one of the cylinders. Changed plugs, wires and even coils. Someone told me it might be a small leak in the head gasket causing water to leak in the cylinder. Put some Blue Devil head gasket sealer in the radiator and never had another issue.
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwing View Post
    Had the same issue with a 2000 Camry, 4 cylinder with over 200,000 miles. It would run rough and skip at start up. Codes showed a misfire on one of the cylinders. Changed plugs, wires and even coils. Someone told me it might be a small leak in the head gasket causing water to leak in the cylinder. Put some Blue Devil head gasket sealer in the radiator and never had another issue.
    That's interesting. It does lose a little coolant. Usually about a quart to half gallon every other month or so.