Thread: 450 Bushmaster

Default 450 Bushmaster

Somebody enlighten me on this caliber. Judging by the bullet I'm lead to believe it would be a hog killing machine ( I like for things I shoot to react as if being hit by a truck, especially hogs and coyotes). But I know nothing about it.

My friend has one in an AR platform. He leaned it against a 100 year old red oak, the oak fell.

I'm not exactly known for my cross country treks on foot, so weight won't be a factor. However, if your friend were to shoot said tree, what kind of damage are we talking? At $35 a box for bullets, I'd hope it could make a pig do some "breakin 2, electric bugaloo" type moves.

I ran the BM for awhile, sold it bought the RR 458 Socom, much preferred the Socom over BM. Honestly unless head shooting neither are any more effective on hogs than a standard cartridge with a well placed shot. Though the grain weight is high the mv is pretty low. Many a hog shot in the shoulder and lungs with the BM and the Socom traveled quite awhile unless head shot. No idea how many hogs I have laid out with a 7 twist 5.56 77 grn SMK or a 22 mag for that matter. Sold the Socom upper and bought another Wylde upper in 7 twist, just food for thought.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I ran the BM for awhile, sold it bought the RR 458 Socom, much preferred the Socom over BM. Honestly unless head shooting neither are any more effective on hogs than a standard cartridge with a well placed shot. Though the grain weight is high the mv is pretty low. Many a hog shot in the shoulder and lungs with the BM and the Socom traveled quite awhile unless head shot. No idea how many hogs I have laid out with a 7 twist 5.56 77 grn SMK or a 22 mag for that matter. Sold the Socom upper and bought another Wylde upper in 7 twist, just food for thought.

I agree with this. I just don’t see why people always want a 50bmg for hogs. If I use a rifle for hogs I use a 5.56 with the
    70gr Barnes or a 22 mag. The 350 legend may be another one for you to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The backstory is, my boss came up to me one day and said he thought he had found a good deal on an AR, but knew nothing about them. So of course I asked what kind, what caliber, etc. He came back to me the next day and said it was a Bushmaster. So of course I'm thinking Bushmaster rifle, so I told him for what he's going to do with it (plinking once or twice a year) it should be good to go. He comes in the next day with the gun and it's a 450 Bushmaster caliber, made by a company I've never heard of. He got a case of buyer's remorse kind of quick and offered the gun to me, and when I saw the bullet it intrigued me, but I just couldn't jump on it without knowing a little more about it. I told him to hold on to it til a little closer to election day, and people will be clamoring for anything gun related and he can get his investment back.
    Last edited by Pcole; 06-30-2020 at 08:29 PM.