Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Stone Tools guide

Default SC Stone Tools guide

Guys posting pics of S.C. stone tools made me think of this handy guide for identifying SC tools. Including a general guide to pottery as well. Can’t get the pottery attachment to load.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Anko; 06-29-2020 at 05:35 PM.

I love American Indian artifacts. My wife and I spent many, many hours in fields looking for them in S.GA. She(my wife) is about to inherit her father's collection that has been valued at 6 figures. He's actively searched for artifacts for over 60 years.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

So are the names representative of a location or a specific tool maker? I’m just getting into and have found what I believe to be a few points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    So are the names representative of a location or a specific tool maker? I’m just getting into and have found what I believe to be a few points

Judging by some of the names it could be tribes

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I saw some guy on YouTube finding all kinds of stuff in newberry. Just so happens my family owns a good bit of land along the saluda River. I have always wanted to learn how to know where to dig.

Almost all of my points have been found in fields, fire breaks, or cutovers.

A hill above a creek is a money spot too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

1BB708C0-894E-4CF3-8DFC-528FC2DCA474.jpg

Still one of the coolest I’ve ever seen
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Need more info on this Saluda river tract your family owns. Would love to go help you out.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Smitch,

That is one beautiful point.

87B55E00-CA45-4D1D-8AD0-9EE04DAD655F.jpg

The brain trust thread got me looking at some of mine. I have boxes full I found as a kid. Pulled out one cigar box and these were just the good ones that were some material other than quartz.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post

The brain trust thread got me looking at some of mine. I have boxes full I found as a kid. Pulled out one cigar box and these were just the good ones that were some material other than quartz.
    Chert.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    1BB708C0-894E-4CF3-8DFC-528FC2DCA474.jpg

Still one of the coolest I’ve ever seen
    That is nice!

7831DD25-F314-4A0A-AF3A-3D0D6486E0BF.jpg

Found this one just now walking in a new neighborhood construction site.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 06-30-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

80E0365E-4304-4225-8407-47D2A5F3E3FD.jpg

The names came from locations and/or where they’re distinctive to a certain culture that could be identified by stratification. Oldest deepest, younger shallow. Example, Savannah types are focused in the Savannah river valley, yet spread throughout the SE. Marrow mtn types are distinctive from a location in NC. MM are found in a stratified site beneath the SR.

Just a note, the oldest start upper left to the youngest lower right in the original graphic.

I attached a picture of my favorites. Notice the quartz Dalton in the middle square. Beside it is a beveled edged Palmer, with two versions of SR on each end. So oldest, 12k-10k BP range. Next Palmer in the 8k BP range, and the SRS in the 3k BP range. Ironically, the big SR is made of volcanic rock from NC. All from a small area in Aiken county. Hundreds of Stone tools from there were donated to the land owner. I dug a lot as a kid...

Ps, I typing this on a phone while hot as shit. Hope it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post

There is a nice Dalton in the mix. Assuming upstate? Sweet!

I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

That is wicked...

They are often named for the location where they first found and documented the style in strata so they could get an accurate age.