Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Fun 2020

Default June Fun 2020

Headed north for a week two weeks ago. We had grand plans of the Bahamas but due to COVID, plans changed to a domestic trip.

Trailered my buddy's boat to NC for a week of beach and fishing. Readied the boat Friday, headed up Early AM Saturday in the rain.

Fished Sunday in the stacked up 4x4's blowing 15-20kts. Followed a few big boats through the inlet. Not fun, tough fishing, never got on the YFT, ended up with 10 skipjacks or so.

Regrouped, recovered and were blown out for the next 3 days. Had fun touring around in the rain, went to Corolla to see the ponies, saw some Carolina Boats in construction, had some delicious softshells etc.

The rain finally broke on Wed AM, Beach Day and prepped for fishing.

Thursday we rode out on a much nicer ocean heading to a different direction than where we found the skipjacks the Sunday before.

Got into the YFT and had constant action all morning. We ened up with 11 good fish and probably lost that many or more in equipment failure or sharks.

We would troll through the fish, hook up with 2-3, fight them, turn around and reset the spread. It was absolutely killer fishing.

Friday

Headed out to repeat Thursday in a half day before packing the boat up for the trip home. Found some fish, trolled through and hooked up on the center rigger, absolutely dumps it. Decide to try to go chase the fish, put it in the rod holder and start cranking. 20minutes into the fight we realized this isn't the same fish we left on the ledge the afternoon before. Fish sounds and we get straight up and down, decided to get in the bucket harness to see if some rod action can make some progress on the fish. NADA. After an hour, the fish heads for the surface, we gain about 200yds on it then after 8-10minutes, it sounds again. The closest we got to it on the surface was probably 300yds. Rotate out of the bucket harness for the next two hours with 22lbs of drag making no progress and finally chafe through the fluoro leader. On Thursday we busted a lot of 80lb leaders putting too much heat on the fish trying to stay away from sharks. We were hesitant to push the drag up past 30lbs because we knew it would make some tackle fail.

Never got to see the fish, thats why we go back! Suspecting a slightly out of place Bluefin or a monster blue marlin.

Licked our wounds, made a few more passes, caught 3 more YFT and headed for the hill at 12.

Trailer back to SC, jokingly discuss fishing out of Charleston the next day but decide we all like being married and opt to fish later.

Friday 6/26
    Get a break in the weather and decide we need to eat something other than yft. Shot some scamps, caught lots of ARS on surface intervals. Took us a few dives find some groupers, ARS and Lionfish were thick. Viz was great on the bottom, muddy green water for the first 40ft, opened up nicely below with 50-60ft of vis.

I'm contemplating getting a zookeeper and targeting lionfish. I probably saw 100-150 in 3 dives without looking for them.

Forecast.jpgLancenJohnTuna.jpgLoganCam.jpgMagoo Tuna.jpgPokeBowl.jpg

nice, I could gobble that shit up right now

No doubt.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

More PicsIMG_20200626_190110_502.jpgroughSporty.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-30-2020 at 11:25 AM.

It could’ve been a big eye.... they’re still being caught up there and one pushing 200lbs can make you think you’ve hooked a 1000lb sea monster.

Looks like a great trip. Next year....beef up
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Good job Logan. Nicely done.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post

I'm contemplating getting a zookeeper and targeting lionfish. I probably saw 100-150 in 3 dives without looking for them.
    They are selling them up here for $17.99 per lb.

Nice trip! Thanks for sharing.

We were thinking bigeye but after talking to a few guys who fish up there often, guessing something different. Either way, sea monster haha, and I'm looking forward to sticking a gaff in its head. I hope it was a WR Bigeye and it'll be there next trip.
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-29-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    We were thinking bigeye but after talking to a few guys who fish up there often, guessing something different. Either way, sea monster haha, and I'm looking forward to stickjng a gaff in its head.
    We had 4 or 5 runs a few weeks ago that couldn’t slow down or turn. This was bottom fishing 30 miles. And when I say can’t turn or slow, it was an AVET EX50/2 loaded with JB 130 on a 125# leader 50# on strike. Ran straight away, thinking big tiger but this GW were pinging in that area too. Never know.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Awesome time! I'm stealing that pic with you in the CCB hat to send to Tyler.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Perfect on the pic, if he needs better quality I can send to him as well.

Safety stop on Friday, had a pretty big remora swim up and I immediately started looking for his big buddy that he had been riding. Never saw a big shark around us but was in 10-12ft of viz. The white shark I saw off Charleston was on a safety stop but was in November. I am puzzled why they are still around with these water temps!
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-29-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Looks like a good time. Oregon inlet? Where’d y’all stay?

Nice man.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Good read. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Nags Head, Resort Realty is great to work with. More tuna pics today, was having trouble loading yesterday.

Is that Moneyhun in the 1st pic?

That is Moneyhun.
    Last edited by scdiver; 06-30-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Awesome trip!

We're heading to Oriental next week and fishing outta Beaufort Inlet.

Hopefully the weather will allow us to get some distance in our little boat.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Marsh Tacky sighting.

Freeman boatworks, I get it now. You said 4x4's with 15-20 kt winds, I gently rolled my eyes but then continued reading and looking at your post. Nice catching, Billy makes quality boats.
    "run and gun guide service"