Thread: Checkering

Default Checkering

Anybody do any? It looks like something I would like to learn. Point me in the right direction as far where to get information on tooling, how to instructions etc. Don't have a clue so barebones beginer information would be greatly appreciated.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

There’s a FB group I’m in and some of those guys are amazing. Will see if I can find the name. A lot of good info in there

Most boards I see have the rules / instructions on the back of the box

Larry potterfield with Midway USA has a good video

Monte Kennedy's book, try and find a set of Brownell's tools. The Brownell's ( not the parts company) tools are see thru. Use carbide cutters and get a veiner, spacer for mullered borders if that is something you want. Go to Accurate reloading and there are some tutorials on checkering. Start with a flat surface and simple 30 degree pattern. You will need to decide the LPI you want, that is how cutters are sold. most folks start with a 16-20 LPI to get used to the procedure. Also you will need to decide flat top or full diamond. Most pros use a stock checkering cradle for the rotation while checkering.I have done it and it is tedious and time consuming, very unforgiving.

I think I've got a set you can try, and some old Mauser stocks to practice on.

I mean, the stocks gonna look like a cat scratching post and you're gonna throw the tools across the room.

But you can try.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I think I've got a set you can try, and some old Mauser stocks to practice on.

I mean, the stocks gonna look like a cat scratching post and you're gonna throw the tools across the room.

But you can try.
    Thank you for the offer. I hate to borrow tools. Much rather screw my own stuff up. Appreciate the offer.