Thread: Jack plate suggestions

Default Jack plate suggestions

Currently running a cmc breakaway but with the motor mounted as high as it will go it’s still sitting 3 or 4 inches too low. I would like to stick with a breakaway plate but not sure if that’s possible or if I just have to go to a regular jack plate. Let’s hear some suggestions.

3DAF449B-C79E-4E1C-AFC2-E2805D40E6D9.jpg

Motor is a 60 4 stroke on a 1648 War Eagle.

Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I have a Vance hydraulic jack plate and like it a lot. I only wish that I bought the breakaway version.

Bobs

Have a TH Marine/Atlas Micro Jacker, Yamaha 50hp and I really like it.

Bob's quoted me 6 weeks out when I repowered and I didn't want to wait or mount the motor twice.

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    So far, so good.
    Circle back on this a few years down the road.

this....... ill never have another boat with out one. they are worth every single penny

Can anyone speak on Bob’s vs Vance? Vance has more kick up travel and a chain limiter, but I’m worried about it not having a way to lock in place. Bob’s has pins to lock the kick up swivel but has 15 degrees less travel and I’ve heard people say you can damage the hydraulic cylinder if you hit something while underway (both have disclaimers saying that obstacles shouldn’t be hit going faster than 5mph). Aside from functional differences I’ve also found that Bob’s had a better warranty than Vance. I’m about to pull the trigger on one of the two for my 18CC G3/90 Yam but there is very little about either on the interweb.

Bobs jackplate are what most have that I see.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhonkey Donkey View Post
    Can anyone speak on Bob’s vs Vance? Vance has more kick up travel and a chain limiter, but I’m worried about it not having a way to lock in place. Bob’s has pins to lock the kick up swivel but has 15 degrees less travel and I’ve heard people say you can damage the hydraulic cylinder if you hit something while underway (both have disclaimers saying that obstacles shouldn’t be hit going faster than 5mph). Aside from functional differences I’ve also found that Bob’s had a better warranty than Vance. I’m about to pull the trigger on one of the two for my 18CC G3/90 Yam but there is very little about either on the interweb.
    I've since sold the boat that I started this thread with but my new one has a Vance kick and jack with a 60 4 stroke. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Have you hit anything while underway? The benefit of the bobs IMO is that the pins keep the kickback function from working if you are riding and hit a log. Also, how did your Vance handle reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Circle back on this a few years down the road.
    Still trucking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhonkey Donkey View Post
    Have you hit anything while underway? The benefit of the bobs IMO is that the pins keep the kickback function from working if you are riding and hit a log. Also, how did your Vance handle reverse?
    I’ve hit more logs, stumps and sandbars than I could count with it and so far it’s doing great. I haven’t had any issues with reversing. I’ve broken skegs and cracked welds hitting stuff with a standard jack plate.

Since the original post I swapped out my Vance hydraulic jack plate for the Vance jack plate with breakaway and it is great. Quality product.

The builder of my upcoming boat is a big fan of the Atlas micro as seem to be common trend with poling skiffs. I shall see for myself.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau