Thread: PUBLIC LAND

I was wondering where I could find (in writing) the regulations on hunting public land as far as rivers and lakes are concerned. I have always "heard" it was legal without a WMA permit, but have never seen this written. I have also "heard" that you needed a WMA permit to hunt on lake Keowee. Hopefully you all can help me find this information. Also before anyone goes off on me for being a "newbie" let me defend myself beforehand.
    -I am an ethical hunter, I won't set up on top of you, I get up early to get to my spot if someone is there I go somewhere else. I hunt by myself just me and my dog. That is why I hunt ducks, for the pure satisfaction of seeing my dogs work for me. As a matter of fact I have offered to go with others just so my dogs can work and me not hunt, but holes are so secretive around here it is pitiful. I understand I won't tell you where I hunt either I just want to stay legal and have a good time.

Go to the DNR website and check out the migratory bird regulations for 2006-2007. Most answers you need will be on the website. If you have any other questions call the Columbia office and they will get a local DNR officer to give you a call. Good Luck! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

tradorion Coots

Off the top of my head i do not know the Keowee Answer...

if you need (or needed in the early 90's) a WMA Permit to hunt there then i was legal (but only b/c i bought mine for deer hunting i had NO CLUE about ducks...)

As for "public" vs. WMA--- most WMA's are designated or marked... places on the Santee Lakes or one the coast that are public water but not marked do not require a WMA permit.

The simplest way is to call DNR and ask for a local GW to give you the heads-up on the areas in question.

T