Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat wiring re-work

Default Boat wiring re-work

Have never been happy with this boat wiring from day 1. I don’t know how these companies get away with these wiring jobs. Every wore was pulled tight with absolutely no service loops or slack. Replacing components could only be achieved by butt connecting 12””” inches of wire to the new component and back to the original harness.

I have recently been having some issues with pumps and lights and figured it was time to give it a re-do...

The boat is an 08 model and has spent most of its life in saltwater... This is the same wire, one end from the bilge, on end from the console... its a 16ga wore swollen to about 8ga size..

I decided to build my own harness, even though I could have sourced one from Key West apparently. It’s all anchor double insulated duplex wire from 16ga to 10ga sizes for different pumps.

The console is small, it’s been a squeeze... the original dash was toast so I sourced a new acrylic one as well.. had the speedo deleted and a new layout for two voltmeters, fuel gauge, and a Tach. Also had two switches added instead of the 12v port to add a raw water system, and a switch to be able to kill all my electronics. (Long story of previous Garmin unit shorting out and me not being able to disconnect it before it fried)

Not done yet, but thought I’d share the process. I’m two full days into it, but final plans include new amp, and JL Audio 8.8 speakers in console as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fireman; 06-28-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Nice work!

Have you ever thought about cleaning that boat?

I knew it was a KW from the first pic.

You need my on board charger in the trading post.

Love these types of threads. Good job, dude.

You need to buy stock in Clorox!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Looking good! New dash board makes a world of difference.

Doing a clean wiring job takes time and talent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Put some straight bleach in a spray bottle and coat the inside good. Walk away for 5 min and then hose it off. Should come clean easily. Awesome work on the wiring!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I knew it was a KW from the first pic.
    Me too...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Me too...
    Yep my 1720 looked like it was wired by a 10 yo. I learned a lot about boat wiring messing with it.

I am currently trying to figure out how far I want to go on mine after the lights crapping out Friday evening.
    cut\'em

Default Boat wiring re-work

My plan is to clean it. I’ve never cleaned the console because of the wiring mess that was in there. I couldn’t store anything and I didn’t ever open it except to pull the battery out once a year... I cleaned the old stern battery box and bilge and ran out of Clorox. I didn’t want to drive 30 minutes to town to get some. It will be cleaned before I put the batteries back in...

Last edited by Fireman; 06-28-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Looks great. Trying to follow your wiring as I’m about to do the same on a smaller scale.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I am currently trying to figure out how far I want to go on mine after the lights crapping out Friday evening.
    That’s how mine started. Was in the console trying to trouble shoot it, couldn’t pull the switch panel out to access the back of the switches because there was no slack in the harness... so I yanked it, the wires broke, and I said to hell with it, and ripped it all out in a fit of rage... it was due....

You for hire

By the time he gets done raging against the machine- probably not

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    You for hire
    Actually I am, PM sent...

Got some more work done on it finally. New speakers, amp, and wiring all buttoned up. Only thing left to do is mount the new switch panel and make the final connections.

Also have to figure out a way to make all the engine and binnacle wires tuck away and look nice.

Nice. Your first picture looks like my Scout.

I had someone upgrade the sound system in my boat. All along I was told how good it was and all about their fine work. And all this with their knowing full well I took my jon to the coast.

I had to get it rewired after one trip. Household speaker wires do not hold up to the outdoor corrosion.

Phoneman's cousin redid the wiring and sealed everything up real nice. Every so often I need to spray contacts but I found out I need to do that all around the boat. Helps a lot on lights and switches. Saves replacements.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.