Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Bream Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Did you see an alligator in lake Murray? That is a warmouth. Not scientific but a cross between a bass and a shellcracker. AKA stumpknocker as it hits after bait hits stump.
    a "warmouth" is not also commonly known as a "stumpknocker". a stumpknocker is a spotted sunfish. a warmouth is also a kind of sunfish, but not a spotted sunfish.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Where did you catch it?

I catch them fairly often on Greenwood when fishing bream and shellcracker beds, seen them on Clark’s Hill as well.
    Private pond in Gilbert. I usually only target largemouth, but may need to give the panfish some attention. Fish fry
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Did you see an alligator in lake Murray? .
    It was an alligator fish hybrid
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Private pond in Gilbert. I usually only target largemouth, but may need to give the panfish some attention. Fish fry
    Panfish eat much better than bass, I prefer bass blackened instead of fried
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It's all about knowing how to trim the fat off of a bass filet

Ok

Used to catch a fair amount of them when I was young in my swamp. Never much quality tho. May have caught 5-6 that size.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Mollie

Come on now. Bass are delicious. Panfish are delicious too. I think fish on the bone are the best tasting. Fry small bass whole and then see if you feel the same.

I’ll agree with the fish on the bone tasting the best. I don’t cook them that way myself often, there’s usually too many old women and kids around when we cook up fish and they prefer filets. But every year when the Horn boys do their fish fry there’s a huge container of bone-in bream. There’s an old timer I rabbit hunt with some and I always sit across the table from him and it’s like a contest between us seeing who can eat the most of those whole bream

its a mollie. and your man card has been revoked.

go can some veggies for the bunker.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The warmouth, is a freshwater fish of the sunfish family that is found throughout the eastern United States. Other local names include molly, redeye, goggle-eye, red-eyed bream, and strawberry perch.

Copied from Google

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Googles wrong. Red eye is a bass, goggle eye is a crappie.

When I was a kid we had access to a couple of land locked oxbows of Little Pee Dee. Well, land locked during the summer when the river fell out, anyway. In the wintertime (while we were shooting woodrows feeding on the oak ridges between the lake and the river), I always imagined all the fish leaving the hustle and bustle of the main river and swimming through the swamp and settling into the oxbows, where living would be easy...or so they thought. When the water fell out the next spring, my brother and I were there to fall in on them like (almost literally) fish in a barrel. My Dad would paddle my brother and I down the lake parallel to the bank. Bream busters and crickets were the ticket. We could flick a cricket on a cork up in the cypress knees or right off the butt of a big cypress and that's where those big ol' fat mollies would hide. I'll always remember how they would bite...you'd see the cork wiggle a little and then start to move across the surface. That's when you set the hook. If you had a good one, for a moment you thought you were snagged on a knee. Those were some serious slabs. A couple more feet off the bank you'd catch those monster knobby headed copperhead blue gills and an occasional redbreast. If you were really feeling froggy you could toss your bait off the other side of the boat, where most enterprising mudfish would hop on a cricket pretty quick and take you for the ride of your life on a bream buster. If the low water persisted into the first few weeks of September, we'd listen to Jim Phillips call a Clemson Tiger football game on the radio while catching them...then maybe even shoot some doves in my Granddaddy's cut cornfield - now that was living!!!

Now I have kids of my own. We fish a ton and they've caught a bunch of mollies in the creeks and ponds around the house. But they are nothing like those old hogs my brother and I used to haul out of the knees in the Little Pee Dee River swamp. I need to get back in there somehow.

Haven't fished a pond with those in some years but that sure appears a lot darker colored than what we have here. Fierce defenders of their beds. Have caught them on bass jitter bugs like that.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles