Thread: Need more speed

I guess we need to start looking for a 60hp

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I guess we need to start looking for a 60hp
    2 stroke 90 tiller and hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    2 stroke 90 tiller and hold on.
    Beat me to it.

I am getting tired of mixing oil and have been considering a four stroke. If I went four stroke, would 60 be alright? No jackplate.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I am getting tired of mixing oil and have been considering a four stroke. If I went four stroke, would 60 be alright? No jackplate.
    You want a 2 stroke. I’d bet a 60 4 stroke would be heavy on that boat. Look at your weights.

60 4stroke was heavy on my 1602 ht. But tohatsu is making some lighter weight motors now. You could look into that. But there’s also a decent looking boat on Craigslist that fits your bill right now too.

I saw that. If I could sell mine I’d pick that up, love the console.

It may be nice but at $8k+ I feel like there are a lot better options than a high tide.

You’ve peaked my interest, what would those better options be

Get a bigger motor or get a 59 ci merc
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Get a bigger motor or get a 59 ci merc and definitely need some set back either with a jack plate or just a breakaway plate.
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

You're real limited with that 2 cyl 40 right off the bat. Don't think compression is your issue, or you wouldn't even be running in the 30's, but it's worth checking anyway. Probably looking at 115ish psi on the compression. I'd have to google it to see what it should be at. Since you're on the fence about a different boat already, the real solution would be to offload the current Ht and find what you're really looking for. You can probably find modern 4 strokes that should weigh in at very close to what your current 40hp weighs.

But, for sake of conversation, you'll need to do some experimenting with props to get her running right. That tach will help immensely. You can really open a can of worms here, as prop shopping can be a science experiment. Blade geometry has just as much, if not more, to do with performance than pitch and diameter. Once you find the right 3 blade prop for your rig, if you transitioned to 4 blade prop with similar blade shape, you'd likely lose 2 or 3 mph. But you could run the motor higher so you might come close to gaining those 2-3 mph back right there. With the 4 blade you'd get better fuel economy due to reduced prop slip, better holeshot and better carrying a load.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I appreciate that and agree. I love that boat for myself, but it’s not the best for taking out a house full of kids. I hate trying to sell a boat mid summer, I’ll need a buyer and a new boat quick or I’ll be losing good fishing time! I might toss it up on the Facebook to see if anyone bites and just keep using it. You want a project !?? Haha

Ha, I need another project like I need another hole in my noggin. Do yourself a favor and decide what you want before you sell your current rig and pray the timing works out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I found a few, not much out there right now. I don’t want to compromise if I’m doing this again