Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more speed

Default Need more speed

I am currently running 32-33ph max WOT with myself and a small child. Boat is a high tide 1503 with 3 blade 14pitch prop.

I am fine with the hole shot but sometimes we are making long hauls to spots and it is annoying being passed by a pontoon boat. I would think I should be getting a little more top end?

Would you go up or down on pitch? And what would a 4 blade do?

4 blade will most likely be slower but have better hole shot. What motor are you running?

What is your current WOT RPM. 14p seems about right though.

4 blade is for hole shot and grip. Usually a 3 blade will give better speed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sorry just saw the replies. The motor is merc 40. I bought a tach but it hasn’t come yet so I’ll check back when I get it.

buy a bigger motor

Jackplate?

How far below the pad is the prop shaft center?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I have setup numerous HTs over the years. If you have a 3 cyl 59 c.i. Merc, you don't have near enough prop. Report back with your WOT and we can help get her dialed in. You are going to need to be in the 16-19 pitch range depending on how you want to run her. 4 blade will do nothing but slow you down.

ETA: Tilt/Trim is a necessity on HT 1503 if you want optimum performance....snap a pic of the bottom of the boat and the motor position with it down. Make sure it is from prop level perspective not from above the transom looking down.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-26-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    buy a bigger motor
    The wife actually said that too! I had to stop a minute because I’ve never heard that from her before. I’m considering selling it all and going bigger, but for now I’ll probably stick tight until the fall.

Thanks for the help, I will snap some pics tomorrow. It is a 2cyl and does have tilt/trim. I usually trim it all the way down and then raise it a quick second or two, that has given me the best speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    The wife actually said that too! I had to stop a minute because I’ve never heard that from her before. I’m considering selling it all and going bigger, but for now I’ll probably stick tight until the fall.

Thanks for the help, I will snap some pics tomorrow. It is a 2cyl and does have tilt/trim. I usually trim it all the way down and then raise it a quick second or two, that has given me the best speeds.
    If it is the 2 cyl 40 you might be getting all you can out of it...those are not known to be strong motors and you may not be able to go up much in prop. Let us know the WOT revs once you get the tach installed.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-26-2020 at 08:18 AM.

According to prop slip calculators, the max at WOT and 5500 is 36.4 mph with no prop slippage. That motor has a 2:1 gear ratio and a WOT between 4500-5500. You have to turn at least a 16p at 5500 to get over 40mph.

Of course this is if I am doing it right...

Would engine compression have anything to do with this ? I don't have gauges now , but I am going to find one on amazon today just to check it out.

Would engine compression have anything to do with this ? I don't have gauges now , but I am going to find one on amazon today just to check it out.
    You would know immediately if you lost one of the only two holes on that motor.

I don't mean loosing a cylinder completely. I just meant what if one, or both cylinders, are running low and possibly only running 70-80psi

I don't mean loosing a cylinder completely. I just meant what if one, or both cylinders, are running low and possibly only running 70-80psi
    I don’t think it’s a problem with compression. The speed you said earlier is accurate for that boat/motor. Best bet is going up to a 16 or 17p prop and also tweak motor height. Going up in prop will still only get you 3-4mph faster max. Regarding motor mounting height, set cavitation plate on you motor level with the bottom of the boat and then adjust height accordingly. If it still bogs, raise the motor higher on the transom, if it porpoises lower motor height.
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 06-26-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Where are you located? I have a two props that will fit that motor. Off the top of my head I want to say one is a 19p and one may be a 17p. Not sure, will check when I get home.

Ok thanks, let me take some pictures tonight of where it is sitting and we can go from there. I am on the coast but have family upstate if need be,

Do how’s that look?

I think you are, largely, horsepower limited. You can, possibly, squeeze out a mph or two with a jack-plate and a different prop but it will be at the cost of stability. If it were me, I'd leave it especially if you often have a small child in the boat with you.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.