Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a break

Default Take a break

Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I’d like to have about a dozen of them bottom ones.

67A130CD-4C9B-47A3-B328-AC47E33BE8F0.jpg
    Fella on another site helped with some tips. Just got a better one.

Yeah I need to put the tools down and go do this one morning. Looks like fun
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Ain’t nothing like catching big titties on an ultra light. I get more exited about getting them home and in the grease than I do about catching them! I get all giddy when I find big titties. The faster I can get a dozen in my bucket, the quicker I can get home and put the wife on the phone to call folks for a fish fry! Soon as number 12 comes off the hook, I beeline for the house!

So you eating fish tonight?

Na just taking a break and piddling. Biggest yet today.
    E3A4E6DC-49AD-4F4F-B61B-49A6917E8081.jpg

20200603_183932.jpg

I try to spend 10 minutes fishing every evening when I get home. Helps me unwind.

Man.... if I lived by a pond I’d have to buy house autry and vegetable oil by the cases! Y’all need to be doing some spoon work when y’all get home!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    20200603_183932.jpg

I try to spend 10 minutes fishing every evening when I get home. Helps me unwind.
    Yessir. Ants swarming here when I quit and bream rising all over as storm coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Ain’t nothing like catching big titties on an ultra light.
    There is something better. See Five-Oh's post. Bought myself a fly rod for Father's Day and have been figuring it out.

shellcrackers are fun

so are bream
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’m trying to see how big the crackers are in my pond. They’ve been mostly untouched till now.

THey are aggressive little bastards. Run a lot of bream out. Bass don’t scare them as much. You certainly have some solid pounders. FWIW they really like worms.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-25-2020 at 11:32 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for the tips but I'm fairly familiar with fly fishing already. The link to the Calloway pattern is probably worthwhile but the fact remains that fishing with a weight forward floating line isn't going to put your fly into shell cracker zones as much as I'd like, especially with the 7.5' leader suggested. For deeper fishing I use a 9' leader and floro tippet to get the fly down quickly, if that helps any of you. I've done some serious targeting for shell crackers already with a fly rod using all sorts of weighted flies including bead chain, lead bodied, larvae patterns, worm patterns, midge patterns, mayfly patterns and even small bait fish patterns. Also tried floating and sinking lines. Have caught a bunch of fish but crackers have not been consistent until I resorted to light spinning tackle and current jig and presentation. Worms would probably be even better but I'm fine with artificial jigs. I don't claim to know anything, just saying I've seen a jump in success with this change and I ain't fishing for crackers on beds. I still like a fly rod fine but it's way better for bluegills, easier to reach them I guess.

As far as Calloway gardens, my Dad fished down there several times about 12-15 year back I guess, met and knew the Carter fella and even turkey hunted once on a visit with him and another fella. My dad also wore out the bream in those Calloway ponds with my bream killer aka "purple glitter getter".

I just posted this thread to give a distraction from the crap pot world view all of you are currently bombarded with anyway.

I enjoyed your pictures. Panfish on the fly rod is one of my favorite things. I’ve had good success wrapping those with lead wire and using a longer leader as mentioned. Thanks for the pictures, it got me out this morning!

And the bream killer is a great one, second only to the bream bully!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    second only to the bream bully!
    We need to recage your gyroscopes. Bream bully is the end all, be all brimp fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"