Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2020 1in=1mi

Default In 2020 1in=1mi

In 2018, I had a pretty cool opportunity to make a career change. I was running the engineering department for a small, privately held pressure vessel manufacturer in Cayce. Cool job. Real engineering work. Excellent experience working from design guy into THE guy.

The opportunity arose for me to help build a new plant in Blythewood. I helped pull the building out of the ground, get through the regulatory/inspections, install what will be half of what we will have as far as extrusion assets, and manage both the engineering and maintenance activities on a day to day basis.

The best part of this: Installing a culture where folks WANT to come to work; where it's challenging, but rewarding; where you would invite family and friends to work beside you.

I hired a new maintenance manager, in January 2020, to take over the day-to-day maintenance activities and allow me to focus more towards the engineering requirements around here. He came in, made a splash, reorganized our shop, and started hanging flags. We have the American Flag, SC Flag, Clemson flag, Auburn Flag, POW flag, Gadsden flag, and the Alabama State Flag. I thought the flags would be a nice touch and give my maintenance guys something of themselves that they could add to our space.

Today, I received instruction from my Plant Manager that we were to remove the Gadsden Flag as there was a verbal complaint made this morning as to the offensiveness of this flag.

I hate the world we live in.

I told him that he's the boss (because he's the boss). I also told him that since "they" (no racially insensitive intent here as I wasn't told who complained) are offended by a piece of history from the American Revolution that has roots in the state of SC that I would also be removing the rest of the flags; including the American Flag.

All flags have been taken down and stored properly.

We've lost boys. Get used to it. The buck doesn't stop here and I see no end in sight.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Very sad times indeed...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I know how you feel, I had to take a nice deer head off the wall in my office.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 06-23-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sounds to me like you lost it.

You coulda just manned up and said the flag is staying?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I had to take the Stihl calendar down from our shop over 10years ago when a complaint was made.
    Low country redneck who moved north

You won't wrap the ol blue Nova in the Gadsden flag and drive it to work every day.

That sucks Matt.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Maybe you should focus on something other than driving trains

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Maybe you should focus on something other than driving trains
    Made me chuckle.

I had to pick up a beer can off the floor in my office today because I missed the trash can I was aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I had to pick up a beer can off the floor in my office today because I missed the trash can I was aiming for.
    Heck yea I have a mini fridge in my office with beer in it and 4 bottles in my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Sounds to me like you lost it.

You coulda just manned up and said the flag is staying?
    He chose financial security over principles, but most of us are guilty of that. It will cost us in the long run.

Just wait a few weeks and put them back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    He chose financial security over principles, but most of us are guilty of that. It will cost us in the long run.
    I understand the historical significant but what is "principaled " about keeping it when you don't own the building or the business?
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

When the tea party co-opted the Gadsden it became a (Republican) political statement to a degree and gained more steam during Obama's presidency.

I bought a Gadsden flag face mask because my plant made it mandatory. I was strongly recommended today not to wear it anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    I understand the historical significant but what is "principaled " about keeping it when you don't own the building or the business?
    You are right and I wasn't trying to call him out, but we roll over far too easily for the one person who is going to be offended. He sounds like he's a pretty important person in the company and there's a good chance the one complaining is the worst employ in the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    I bought a Gadsden flag face mask because my plant made it mandatory. I was strongly recommended today not to wear it anymore.
    I have quit jobs over less- if you do- you will find a roost to crow from, where they are proud to see the sun rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    You are right and I wasn't trying to call him out, but we roll over far too easily for the one person who is going to be offended. He sounds like he's a pretty important person in the company and there's a good chance the one complaining is the worst employ in the plant.
    Bend a knee or get sued and loose.

How is it offensive for you to display it/wear it, but not offensive to be told that what you think is perfectly acceptable is offensive, therefore saying that you, in effect, are offensive?

I think saying “we have lost”, is misleading. We haven’t been playing. We just forfeit every time someone challenges us. You’re right about there not being an end in sight. Not until someone fights back.

Be the change you want to see.
    Last edited by wskinner; 06-23-2020 at 07:37 PM.

A manager at a former job told a coworker in front of myself and others, that his MAGA hat was offensive and was causing a distraction in the break room. Strange times.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 06-23-2020 at 08:23 PM.