Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charleston SC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Fortunately, I can read, so I get the gist of the discussion. Again, just don't know what you were looking for.
    Because I wasn't looking for anything. I was jerking roddie's chain because he only posts on political posts- which is fine- more power to him. You however, regularly chime in on my posts trying to make me look stupid - on the public forum- and then send me PM's saying you're not coming after me and you respect my opinion, yada yada yada. I'll tell you here like I tell you there: it's opinion, I'm not above being wrong, I don't disrespect anyone until they disrespect me, and I won't be intimidated or have my words twisted in to something I didn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Because I wasn't looking for anything. I was jerking roddie's chain because he only posts on political posts- which is fine- more power to him. You however, regularly chime in on my posts trying to make me look stupid - on the public forum- and then send me PM's saying you're not coming after me and you respect my opinion, yada yada yada. I'll tell you here like I tell you there: it's opinion, I'm not above being wrong, I don't disrespect anyone until they disrespect me, and I won't be intimidated or have my words twisted in to something I didn't say.
    A few of y'all come across as angry. And everything that's goin' on has really brought it to light. Yikes.

...and for the record, I meant what I said when I PM'd you. However, betraying my trust sheds some additional light on who I'm dealing with, so thanks for that insight.

I'm not angry, and I have no intention of betraying your trust. I just don't get that you act one way toward me in one setting and another in a different setting. Like me or not, what you see is what you get. You and I have gone toe to toe and we've agreed fervently. Some political BS going on around us isn't going to change that.

I just back ......
    damn Clemson fans

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I just back ......
    damn Clemson fans
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Here is some history that will shed light on a side of slavery not thought or talked too much about.
    The 5th or 6th Great Grandfather, named who he left his 81 slaves to by name in his will.
    Listed in his bible, were the names of every slave he ever owned.
    And after the war, 90% remained on the farm in warren County, NC.
    I am confused, does that make me a racist?

From the Will of NATHANIEL MACON, dtd Aug 10, 1833:
    To my grandson WILLIAM EATON JUNIOR:
    HARRY and his wife HESTER
    old man FRANK and his wife DOLLY

To my grandson NATHANIEL M. MARTIN:
    PHIL and his wife CHINA

I lend to my grandson in law Drury S.MARTIN:
    GINNY and her daughter

Slaves EPHRAIM and LUCY to which grandchild they prefer

Half of remainder of Slaves to go to all the children of my late daughter BETSY K. MARTIN (except NATHANIEL M. MARTIN)

The other half, one third part to my grandson WILLIAM PATON JUNR.
    The other two thirds to my grandchildren BETSY K. M. FIELD (wife of EATON FIELD) BUCKNER EATON and CHARLES PATON (children of my daughter SEIGNORA) to be equally divided between them.

An Inventory of the Estate of NATHANIEL MACON dec'd returned by his Executor W. N. EDWARDS to November Sessions 1837:
    List of Slaves - Eighty in number-

Old Frank
    Lucy
    Ephraim
    Polly
    Minny
    Dan
    Harry
    Sally
    Phil
    Nelly
    Lew
    Mary
    Neaton
    Effy
    Cloe
    Little Polly
    Moses
    Nelson
    Billy
    Priscilla
    Aaron
    Isaiah
    Betty
    Brown
    Nancy
    Huldy
    Tempe
    Easter
    Katy
    Maria
    John
    Miranda
    Aggy
    Mansfield
    Owen
    Robert
    Cornelius
    Milly
    Molly
    Willis
    Eliza
    Essex William
    Martha
    Emanuel
    Sprigg
    Solomon
    Amy
    Cary
    Betsy
    Frederick
    Nassery
    Chana
    Lucretia
    Julia Ann
    Phil
    Lydia
    Nathan
    Isaac
    Rhody
    Littleton
    Hannah
    Weldon
    Jacob
    Willis
    Peter
    Perry
    Janet
    George
    Clary
    Also born since death of Testator:
    Tony
    Martha
    Henry

Also:
    Jenny & Child- in possession of Drury S. Marrow
    Harriet- in possession of Col. Jos. Maclin & Wife
    Susanna- in possession of Henry L. Martin
    Matilda- in possession of Nath'l M. Martin
    Rachel- in possession of Wm. K. Martin
    Lucinda- in possession of William Eaton Jr.

Following list of about 123 Slaves with their dates of birth were found
    Nathaniel Macon Bible:
    KATE born 1743
    HUMPHREY born 1740
    GEORGE born 1755
    FRANK born 20 Feby 1754
    BOB born 1756
    ISBELL born 1754- dead
    LUCY born 1759
    EPHRAIM born 8 May 1765
    TITUS born 1769
    POLLY born 1769
    MINNA born 1773
    VENUS born 1772
    ANTHONY born 1778
    ADAM born 1782
    DAN born 1782
    TOM born 1783
    SABRINA born 1779
    NELLE born 1779 - dead
    HARRY born 1785
    GREAT ESTHER born 1780
    TANSY born 1785
    FRANK born 26 Dec'r 1785
    ESTHER born 20 Dec'r 1787
    JANE born 1788
    JAMES SPRIGG born 12 Feby 1789
    BETTY born 20 June 1791
    JOHN born 1793
    SOLOMON born 1794
    JAMES born 1795
    STEPHEN born 1796
    BILLEY born 1796
    HANNAH born Sept 1796
    SALLEY born 26 April 1798
    PLEASANT born 1799
    PRISCILLA born 1798
    NELLE born 5 Jany 1800
    ANNA born 10 June 1800
    PHILL born 1799
    CLAIBORNE born 8 April 1801
    NORVAL born 20 April 1801
    LEWIS born 10 May 1801
    JOHN born August 1802
    MARY born 3 March 1803
    NANCY born 26 Oct'r 1804
    WINNY born 2 june 1804
    PATSEY born 8 July 1804
    NEATON born 3 June 1805
    SABRINA born 3 July 1805
    OSCAR born 13 January 1807
    EFFY born 1780
    CLOE born 1800
    POLLY born 1802
    MOSES born 1804
    NELSON born 1806
    BILLY born 1808
    SPRIG born January 1810
    PHOEBE born 25 April 1810
    PRISCILLA born 2 June 1812
    AARON born 19 March 1814
    ISAIAH 20 July 1814
    MAT 1 February 1816
    BETTY bought of Mr. MYRICK JONES[?]
    Negro of SALLY

MILLEY 20 May 1816 dead
    BROWN 4 May 1817
    NANCY 27 May 1817
    HULDAH 28 January 1818
    TEMPE 26 September 1818
    ESTHER 19 January 1819
    CATY 6 May 1819
    MARIA 22 January 1820
    JOHN 23 January 1820
    MIRANDA 27 Sept'r 1820
    MANSFIELD 7 Feby 1821
    AGGEY 16 May 1821
    OWEN 16 Jany 1822
    ROBERT 14 June 1822
    CORNELIUS 27 Jany 1823
    RACHEL 23 June 1823
    MILLEY 20 July 1823
    SUSANNA 7 September 1823
    CHEESMAN 8 October 1823
    HARRIET 25 October 1824
    LUCINDA 24 May 1825
    GEORGE 31 August 1825
    MOLLY 6 Sept'r 1825
    PLUMMER 4 March 1827
    WILLIS 1795
    ELIZA 12 June 1827
    ESSEX 28 July 1827
    HENRY 31 July 1827
    CRITTY 12 August 1827
    WILLIAM 5 Jany 1828
    MARTHA 15 April 1828
    EMMANUEL 17 Jany 1829
    SPRIG 20 May 1829
    SOLOMON 3 June 1829
    AMY 20 September 1829
    WATLEY 28 Nov'r 1829
    CAREY 1 Nov'r 1830
    BETSEY 20 Feby 1831
    FREDERIC 10 April 1831
    NORSWORTHY 20 May 1831
    CHINA 1804
    MATILDA 15 Sept'r 1824
    LUCRETIA 15 Oct'r 1826
    JULIA ANN 25 Oct'r 1828
    PHILIP 17 Apr 1830
    LYDIA 29 Jany 1832
    NATHAN 3 Sept'r 1832
    ISAAC 17 Jany 1833
    RHODA 9 March 1833
    LITTLETON 22 March 1833
    HANNAH 9th January 1834
    WELDON 28 Nov'r 1834
    LUCY 23 Jany 1835
    JACOB 29 Feby 1836
    WILLIS 28 March 1838
    PETER 25 May 1836
    GODFREY called FERRA 25 July 1836
    JANETT 30 July 1836
    GEORGE 29 Dec'r 1836
    CLAUD[?] 18 Feby 1837

From the Will of GIDEON MACON, Granville Co, NC, Dec. 1761:
    To my son NATHANIEL MACON two boys, and one girl:
    GEORGE
    BOBB
    LUCY
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-23-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I suspect after November mayors will crack down on protest until 2024 when the movement is needed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Roddie,

I'll stand by what I posted but after re-reading it, I do feel I need to add to it to make my point more clear. My original post was narrowly focused on the stereotypical depiction of physical cruelty and it was negligent to not address the deeper cruelty more explicitly. My intended point was that I find it hard to believe that slave owners woke up every morning, grabbed their whip and commenced to beating their slaves. I think that is the most common depiction of slavery in the antebellum days. That isn't how they would have treated their farm animals and it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have done that to their slaves. That is not to say that the treatment of slaves was kind. Quite the contrary. I was only addressing the purely physical aspect of beatings and chain yanking as shown in the protest link. I think that stereotypical depiction distracts and detracts for the real horror of slavery.

Slaves were considered and treated like animals. That is what allowed the owners to justify the institution. The bible even justifies it by giving "men" dominion over all animals. When humans deny other humans the fundamental recognition of their very humanity, it allows every aspect of freedom to be stripped from them. All it takes to justify slavery is to adjust your definition of "men".

When humans encounter another creature, they immediately evaluate how it can be used, with no regard to what the animal thinks. They don't consider its feelings or things like family bonds. When humans deny others the recognition of being human, they can justify and ignore the trauma of splitting families, of claiming ownership of their progeny and of taking away every aspect of self-determination. It is extremely paradoxical that a nation forged by the desire for individual freedom could have done this to other humans.

And we haven't learned our lesson. I was trying to make the point that we are still doing it. Our awareness of how we treat species of animals other than ourselves is only recently being addressed by what we call "animal rights whackos". If we ever have an encounter with creatures from another planet, will we try to use them for food, forced workers or pets? Are we going to narrow our definition of "sentient being" to justify another era of slavery?
    Gotcha
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

I have no idea how slaves were treated and I’m sure some of them were owned by people who treated them ok and some were owned by other who were cruel. But I will say this under no circumstances would I chose to be owned over being dead! Just think about being owned for a second and what that entails, would you like to be owned or to be viewed as merely a possession? There is no way you can explain it to me that I will see it as anything other than a horrible act! Give me freedom or give me death!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    But I will say this under no circumstances would I chose to be owned over being dead! Just think about being owned for a second and what that entails, would you like to be owned or to be viewed as merely a possession? There is no way you can explain it to me that I will see it as anything other than a horrible act! Give me freedom or give me death!
    Oh your ass IS owned. We all are. Free?

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Oh your ass IS owned. We all are. Free?
    You don’t know what being owned is. I was owned for a few years and it’s not something I will ever be again.

There was physiological torture to keep slaves in line. No matter the time era there had to be something inside slaves owners to realize slavery is pure evil. The abolitionist realized as much and setup the underground railroads. Yet every time slavery is mention someone mentions that blacks sold slaves too like that makes it less evil or they not treat bad, denying liberty, freedom and pursuit of happiness to a human is evil unless there is just cause. Billions were made on the backs of slave labor the fallout has been tremendous.

I hate to see a general confederate monument taken down. Not for slave owners but general ones that represents the soldiers. There were many subsistent farmers in the Piedmont and Upstate that did not own slaves they only starting to make money with the invention of the cotton gin. They were fighting to defend their homeland in a war greedy bastards propelled them into. I doubt ******* would have pushed the issue until they wanted to expand their empire into Kansas. There was enough Jim Brown's growing bloodshed and civil unrest was coming. Some concerned over human rights but others concern of the mass amount of wealth the South was making. No way was slavery going to the Midwest too.

Any confederate symbol put up during Jim Crow and Segregation as a sign should come down. Most of us are pissed off to be told to wear a mask or close a boat ramp, now way in hell would sitting at the back of the bus work.

Now the pendulum is swinging way too far. Soon Francis Marion U will need to renamed. Having a Palmetto tree or live oak in your yard, racist. There has to be end. Humans are screwed up. Some of the greatest men have done more evil things. This is why idolatry statues, buildings and roads will always suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    There was physiological torture to keep slaves in line. No matter the time era there had to be something inside slaves owners to realize slavery is pure evil. The abolitionist realized as much and setup the underground railroads. Yet every time slavery is mention someone mentions that blacks sold slaves too like that makes it less evil or they not treat bad, denying liberty, freedom and pursuit of happiness to a human is evil unless there is just cause. Billions were made on the backs of slave labor the fallout has been tremendous.

I hate to see a general confederate monument taken down. Not for slave owners but general ones that represents the soldiers. There were many subsistent farmers in the Piedmont and Upstate that did not own slaves they only starting to make money with the invention of the cotton gin. They were fighting to defend their homeland in a war greedy bastards propelled them into. I doubt ******* would have pushed the issue until they wanted to expand their empire into Kansas. There was enough Jim Brown's growing bloodshed and civil unrest was coming. Some concerned over human rights but others concern of the mass amount of wealth the South was making. No way was slavery going to the Midwest too.

Any confederate symbol put up during Jim Crow and Segregation as a sign should come down. Most of us are pissed off to be told to wear a mask or close a boat ramp, now way in hell would sitting at the back of the bus work.

Now the pendulum is swinging way too far. Soon Francis Marion U will need to renamed. Having a Palmetto tree or live oak in your yard, racist. There has to be end. Humans are screwed up. Some of the greatest men have done more evil things. This is why idolatry statues, buildings and roads will always suck.

Think of it in today's context.....Epstein kind of shit, kidnapping young children for sex kinda stuff today!
    I swear, I can't imagine holding an innocent individual against their will like that, unfathomable....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 06-23-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

it was wrong on every level and incomprehensible.

Does this mean that everyone that buys 50 acres and names it “_________ plantation” will stop that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Roddie,

I'll stand by what I posted but after re-reading it, I do feel I need to add to it to make my point more clear. My original post was narrowly focused on the stereotypical depiction of physical cruelty and it was negligent to not address the deeper cruelty more explicitly. My intended point was that I find it hard to believe that slave owners woke up every morning, grabbed their whip and commenced to beating their slaves. I think that is the most common depiction of slavery in the antebellum days. That isn't how they would have treated their farm animals and it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have done that to their slaves. That is not to say that the treatment of slaves was kind. Quite the contrary. I was only addressing the purely physical aspect of beatings and chain yanking as shown in the protest link. I think that stereotypical depiction distracts and detracts for the real horror of slavery.

Slaves were considered and treated like animals. That is what allowed the owners to justify the institution. The bible even justifies it by giving "men" dominion over all animals. When humans deny other humans the fundamental recognition of their very humanity, it allows every aspect of freedom to be stripped from them. All it takes to justify slavery is to adjust your definition of "men".

When humans encounter another creature, they immediately evaluate how it can be used, with no regard to what the animal thinks. They don't consider its feelings or things like family bonds. When humans deny others the recognition of being human, they can justify and ignore the trauma of splitting families, of claiming ownership of their progeny and of taking away every aspect of self-determination. It is extremely paradoxical that a nation forged by the desire for individual freedom could have done this to other humans.

And we haven't learned our lesson. I was trying to make the point that we are still doing it. Our awareness of how we treat species of animals other than ourselves is only recently being addressed by what we call "animal rights whackos". If we ever have an encounter with creatures from another planet, will we try to use them for food, forced workers or pets? Are we going to narrow our definition of "sentient being" to justify another era of slavery?
    Well that escalated quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post
    Does this mean that everyone that buys 50 acres and names it “_________ plantation” will stop that shit?

Merriam-Webster doesn’t say anything about slaves.

Most slaves in South Carolina (and much of the south) worked on a task basis.

They had X to do for the day and when they finished they were done for the day and free to do what they pleased on the property.

This is well documented.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Most slaves in South Carolina (and much of the south) worked on a task basis.

They had X to do for the day and when they finished they were done for the day and free to do what they pleased on the property.

This is well documented.
    Link please?
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie