Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charleston SC

Default Charleston SC

Well bless it.

I guess none of them had to work today

I am so disappointed in myself for bringing a child into this world. I fear for his future.

This is not going to end well for anybody.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 06-22-2020 at 07:55 PM.

That's the common, modern idea of how slaves were treated and I have always doubted it. I have never bought into the picture of constant whipping, beating and punishment of slaves. I am in no way trying to justify or soften the horror of men owning men but I just don't think it was normal to treat one's slave workers that way.

Slaves were considered chattel, owned similar to farm animals. Farmers don't treat real chattel that way. It isn't productive to treat animals that way and it wouldn't have been useful or productive to treat captive humans that way either, especially when they were often expected to work unsupervised, prepare food for the owners and they outnumbered the white population by a larger percentage. I have heard and read many more credible stories of almost family bonds and affection between the slaves and owners. That doesn't justify the institution of slavery by any stretch but it also isn't fair to judge others by the modern standards, especially with what are likely inaccurate portrayals of the typical interactions back when a historically accepted practice was finally waning . It is very hard for us to understand how people could have justified slavery but in the not-too-distant future, our descendants might be similarly trying to justify our current animal farming practices. Indeed, the animal rights folks are already making the argument and it seems ludicrous to many of us. Furthermore, if we discovered aliens on some newly discovered planet, would we welcome the inhabitants as equals or evaluate their usefulness as food, pets, or draft animals? If history is any indicator, we have typically gone in the order of food or fuel, draft animal, then pets. In no case have we ever elevated other creatures to our level, no matter how similar they are to us, even on our own planet.

To be fair, I am sure there were plenty of ruthless and cruel slave owners. I can only imagine some of the bosses I have worked under if they had that level of power over another human. I have no doubt that cruelty and unspeakable atrocities happened. I just don't think it was necessarily the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    I am so disappointed in myself for bringing a child into this world. I fear for his future.

This is not going to end well for anybody.
    I had this exact same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's the common, modern idea of how slaves were treated and I have always doubted it. I have never bought into the picture of constant whipping, beating and punishment of slaves. I am in no way trying to justify or soften the horror of men owning men but I just don't think it was normal to treat one's slave workers that way.

Slaves were considered chattel, owned similar to farm animals. Farmers don't treat real chattel that way. It isn't productive to treat animals that way and it wouldn't have been useful or productive to treat captive humans that way either, especially when they were often expected to work unsupervised, prepare food for the owners and they outnumbered the white population by a larger percentage. I have heard and read many more credible stories of almost family bonds and affection between the slaves and owners. That doesn't justify the institution of slavery by any stretch but it also isn't fair to judge others by the modern standards, especially with what are likely inaccurate portrayals of the typical interactions back when a historically accepted practice was finally waning . It is very hard for us to understand how people could have justified slavery but in the not-too-distant future, our descendants might be similarly trying to justify our current animal farming practices. Indeed, the animal rights folks are already making the argument and it seems ludicrous to many of us. Furthermore, if we discovered aliens on some newly discovered planet, would we welcome the inhabitants as equals or evaluate their usefulness as food, pets, or draft animals? If history is any indicator, we have typically gone in the order of food or fuel, draft animal, then pets. In no case have we ever elevated other creatures to our level, no matter how similar they are to us, even on our own planet.

To be fair, I am sure there were plenty of ruthless and cruel slave owners. I can only imagine some of the bosses I have worked under if they had that level of power over another human. I have no doubt that cruelty and unspeakable atrocities happened. I just don't think it was necessarily the norm.
    Source and link for your stance?
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Really your asking for a source and link to that? I'd agree 100 % to what he said

Y’all seriously think people just allowed themselves to be enslaved without any sort of deterrent for noncompliance? Wow.
    Last edited by wskinner; 06-22-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor4 View Post
    Really your asking for a source and link to that? I'd agree 100 % to what he said
    Yes, even though I wasn’t talking to you. Did you get past the 3rd grade?
    I’ll help you understand:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2956.html

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroo...xpref/slavery/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2020-6%3Famp
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Well said. My 4x great grandfather was a judge and a lawyer in Georgia. Owned and operated a plantation and was hung by that assclown on his march to the sea. Legend has it that my grandfather was warned that he would be payed a visit as he was a secessionist. He freed all of his slaves and told them and his family to leave. After they left and pillaged and burned what they could, the story goes that his recently freed slaves (who were hiding, because they never left) came and lowered him down. He died in 1881. I have no factual evidence to prove this other than it being written in a few books and being passed down through the years, generation to generation.

My grandmother shared too many fond memories of her childhood being raised by “Mamie” while her parents were working in Atlanta, and playing with Mamie’s grandchildren to lead me to believe mistreating them was normal.

I hope I am right.
    Last edited by smitch320; 06-22-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Y’all seriously think people just allowed themselves to be enslaved without any sort of deterrent for noncompliance? Wow.
    Yet, certain beliefs in our country are just a myth.
    Last edited by Roddie; 06-22-2020 at 08:59 PM.

48BA6705-0134-4630-BFC4-024FA408827F.jpeg
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    Yes, even though I wasn’t talking to you. Did you get past the 3rd grade?
    I’ll help you understand:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4p2956.html

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroo...xpref/slavery/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...s-2020-6%3Famp
    Have you ever been duck hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Have you ever been duck hunting?
    Yes

Yes
    Oh. I just noticed you've never talked about it on the duck hunting website you show up to sometimes.

Oh. I just noticed you've never talked about it on the duck hunting website you show up to sometimes.
    Great counter-point.

Great counter-point.
    Have you ever made a point on scducks?

Your 3rd reference fails to mention the fact the family of the lady pictured is outraged at the removal of her image on the syrup bottle. They were not made aware of it before it happened. BTW she was born in the 1900's in Marlboro County not a slave, 3 mile from where I grew up and she still has very well respected family there.

Have you ever made a point on scducks?
    Just for you —> .