Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer Bearings and Road Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    The overpass over Bowman Rd in Mount Plastic headed north on 17 is a bitch!
    If you’ve ever come into Myrtle from 22.. it can be a beating. I see guys rushing in to get on the water taking that road at 65+, sometimes you just have to stop and watch.

I’ve towed a Pathfinder skiff to the 10,000 islands 3 times. It’s about 700 miles each way in the spring/summer heat. I purchase radial trailer tires that are speed rated for 81 mph. I use the complete Ultratow hubs from Northern tool. I do use a bearing buddy. I tow at 73 mph. I carry 2 spare tires and a spare hub and all of the tools needed to make any repairs. Everytime I stop I check the temperature of the hubs and look the tires over. Hitting pot holes is by far a bigger issue in my opinion than the hubs (assuming properly installed). I busted a cord in a tire this past summer on a pot hole but it was not a big deal to change it out. Know this- it’s a lot easier to address issues at home or at a gas station than on the side of I-75.

I'll echo preventative maintenance, checking when stopped, and double spares of everything plus tools. Not fun to see sparks, smoke, or your trailer wagging in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I carry a replacement hub in the truck tool box at all times.
    same and a small floor jack, 4 way lug wrench and an entire hub assembly from Northern Tool
    as well as a loaded grease gun ride in the truck tool box....oh and rags, have some rags and hand cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    same and a small floor jack, 4 way lug wrench and an entire hub assembly from Northern Tool
    as well as a loaded grease gun ride in the truck tool box....oh and rags, have some rags and hand cleaner
    The day you don’t have it, is the day you need it. Nothing like making a repair on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Don’t use cheap grease either
    I like the Lucas grease the best for hubs.