Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Bearings and Road Trips

Default Trailer Bearings and Road Trips

I've got the spare tire, jacks and tools. What else is a must-have in regards to bearings and hubs? Are y'all taking whole, complete spare hubs or the individual bearings and other pieces? Also, where are you getting your parts from? I didn't know if I would have to pull a hub and take it somewhere to match parts or if all of the parts are standard and could order them.

Also, what are y'all using as grease covers? I'm tired of the little black rubber caps that pop in. They keep popping out and slinging grease over the wheels. Anything better out there? My old bass boat trailer had bearing buddies on it but I've since heard that they can cause more problems than they solve.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Carry a complete spare hub, it will be easier to change.

I use vortex hubs and have been very satisfied. Many manufacturers seem to make an “easy lube” hub type these days.

Don’t speed!!!!
    stop and check your bearing temps every so often especially when starting out to make sure there are no problems developing.

Murphy’s Law

Tractor supply sells complete hub kits and easy lube covers
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Keep a gear puller handy for when that inner bearing race doesn’t want to come off the axle
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

DON’T TRUST BEARING BUDDIES! I welded a hub to the axle on I-24 outside Clarksville TN. Finding an axle and a shop to fix it on a Saturday afternoon was not easy. My trailer was only two years old and the Bearing Buddies were full (so I thought).
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

I would assume you would rather put on a complete, pre-greased hub assembly rather than pulling your old one, packing the new bearings with grease and inserting them into your old hub on top of removing the wheel and hub and re installing them on the side of the highway (given the fact that the hub itself isn’t scored up while driving on it with bad bearings at highway speeds). A new hub kit will require your inner and outer bearing sizes (tapered or straight spindle) and your lug pattern. I get my spares for the boat trailer from west marine. The ones that come in the black plastic box (easy to pack in the car). Those hubs made several 1000 mile trips for me without fail. I have had no issues with bearing buddies but I’m sure like any other component that is widely used, people have had issues.
    Last edited by cam1195; 06-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.

The 2 main killers of wheel bearings and tires are potholes and the leading edges of bridges.
    Everyone knows how potholes work, few pay attention to bridges, the road surface approaching a bridge gets compressed leaving a hard, sharp edge at the bridge that breaks tire belts and flattens bearings.

Take all the other stuff and 2 complete hub assemblies and 2 spare tires. Keep your speed reasonable, watch out for potholes and slow down for bridges.

To me the hubs from tractor supply are junk. The ultra tow that northern tool carries are doing great on my pontoon trailer. If I am towing it from the upstate to Santee and back I always carry two spare hubs, two spare tires, needle nose pliers, some sand paper, and a pair of adjustables for the castle nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by Grebe View Post
    To me the hubs from tractor supply are junk.
    My experience as well

Boat trailer bearings go through different challenges than utility trailers. The heat and dunking in water creates issues.

I carry a replacement hub in the truck tool box at all times.

After you've driven an hour to get to the lake, let your bearings cool (while getting your gear ready to put in) before backing in. That hot/warm hub will suck the water into it.

Service them too....don't just wait for em to f up then replace.

And don't over tighten them. That will lead to premature failure for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Carry a complete spare hub, it will be easier to change.
    Yep. And, I've gotten away from bearing buddies too - as long as you're not leaking there's nowhere for the grease to go. But, I do check them often - usually when I get back to the hill in the daylight. An empty trailer makes it easier to see any problems. Mechanical problems never heal themselves and they always get worse over time. Handle it early.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

How long do you all usually go before you replace your hubs? Are the galvanized hubs worth it for salt water or do you usually end up changing out before they rust ?

Complete hub assembly. May want to keep a hammer and chisel in case the bearing sticks to the spindle. Pliers to get the pin out...
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 11-11-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Do y’all prefer greased hubs over oil bath, or vice versa? I’ve had pretty good luck with the oil bath hubs in my boat trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Don’t use cheap grease either

I like all my stuff to be ready for anything that may happen - especially traveling. I'd go ahead and put 2 new bearing/hub assemblies on and if the old ones look decent keep one(or both) as a spare. Much easier to do in your driveway than on the side of the road in BFE. I don't want there to be any concern if i have to drive a little faster or something happens and someone else has to drive the rig. One quick wellness check is to jack up one side and spin the wheel. If its noisy and rough/loose- time to replace(this doesn't work on trailers with brakes). Grease is good and always watch to see if the dust cover or bearing buddy pop off. When they do your hub/bearing are loose and about to let go(generally).
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    The 2 main killers of wheel bearings and tires are potholes and the leading edges of bridges.
    Everyone knows how potholes work, few pay attention to bridges, the road surface approaching a bridge gets compressed leaving a hard, sharp edge at the bridge that breaks tire belts and flattens bearings.

Take all the other stuff and 2 complete hub assemblies and 2 spare tires. Keep your speed reasonable, watch out for potholes and slow down for bridges.
    The overpass over Bowman Rd in Mount Plastic headed north on 17 is a bitch!
    DILLIGAF