Thread: best way to dispose of corn seed and shotgun shells

Default best way to dispose of corn seed and shotgun shells

I've got some leftover corn seed. I don't want to put it out for birds because it is coated. What's the best way to get rid of it? I could put it out for trash pickup but wonder if it might end up getting eaten by landfill birds. I don't care to poison anything indiscriminately.

I've got a bunch of shells that got wet/rusted that I wouldn't chamber in any gun that I care about. I probably have a bit more than a case. What's the best way to dispose of live ammo?

Why not save the corn seed for next year? And the shells I’d cut open and remove powder and shot if I were worried about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Pop the corn in a fire lol. You can cut the shells open and then dispose in the trash. Shells not in a chamber are pretty harmless however. They have to be in a chamber and the projectile go through some sort of barrel to be significantly dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ScLowCountry View Post
    Pop the corn in a fire lol. You can cut the shells open and then dispose in the trash. Shells not in a chamber are pretty harmless however. They have to be in a chamber and the projectile go through some sort of barrel to be significantly dangerous.
    Believe it or not I’ve seen a shotgun shell thrown in a fire injure someone. As a matter of fact I think the girl still had the single pellet in her leg.

Not that you were suggesting that method

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I think this falls into the ask your husband to take care of it category

Haha

I am not inclined to cut open and empty 300 or so shells. They may get rendered in a fire and thrown out as a wad of plastic, plated bases and lead pellets. Several years ago, I remember a stir in the news when one of the recycling center workers found a live shotgun shell in the waste stream. You would have thought they found a live grenade.

Throwing the corn in the fire was what I was thinking. I was just hoping someone had some ingenious use for it. I have no idea what they coat it with. It may not even be a problem for wildlife. It sure doesn't seem to discourage crows or squirrels from digging it up and eating it.

I'm not about to go through all the discing, fertilizing, spraying and planting and use year old+ seeds for any serious planting. I guess I could put it in with my fall food plot blend. The young sprouts that don't get eaten right away will get killed by the first frost.

Throw that shit in a gully

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I am not inclined to cut open and empty 300 or so shells. They may get rendered in a fire and thrown out as a wad of plastic, plated bases and lead pellets. Several years ago, I remember a stir in the news when one of the recycling center workers found a live shotgun shell in the waste stream. You would have thought they found a live grenade.

Throwing the corn in the fire was what I was thinking. I was just hoping someone had some ingenious use for it. I have no idea what they coat it with. It may not even be a problem for wildlife. It sure doesn't seem to discourage crows or squirrels from digging it up and eating it.

I'm not about to go through all the discing, fertilizing, spraying and planting and use year old+ seeds for any serious planting. I guess I could put it in with my fall food plot blend. The young sprouts that don't get eaten right away will get killed by the first frost.
    Planted two year old corn a few weeks ago for someone and it is coming up very well. I’ve got a bag in the walk in cooler for next year. And I have all ideas it will sprout just like the rest

unless the shells got submerged theyre probably fine, even if they got rained on a time or two. As long as the brass aint very rusty and cause them to stick in the chamber, i say shoot em at targets.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I’ve had to get rid of a box or two before that got wet, and usually a local police or DNR office are willing to dispose of them. Some ranges will take them too.

I’ve got no answers on the corn.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Are you straight faced saying call the law to dispose of shotgun shells for you?