Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black bellied duck in Darlington

Default Black bellied duck in Darlington

My dad sent me a couple pictures tonight asking to id a duck on his new box we put up this year. I quickly realized what it was and told him. I’ve still never seen one in person and didn’t know we had them in our area. I thought it was real cool. He believes there is a pair nesting in the box. Like I said the box along with another were put on my parents pond directly behind their house this spring. The box in the picture is maybe 60 yards from my parents garage.
    1F70F8B8-835D-467E-A737-DA5885FD4D78.jpg
    A3C35EDD-011A-4273-BF0C-4F945E42CD45.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

There have been three of them on some property I cruise one county over. They disappeared right before the season last year.

That's awesome!!! I hope they continue to expand their nesting territory and wind up over here on Lake Murray!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

They’re standing on the dock at the lake house in Santee.

Damn near 20 of em.

I hope they breed tons of little ones!
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I've never seen one before- nice pic

Default Black bellied duck in Darlington

http://ncbirds.carolinabirdclub.org/...ecies_id=12209

Here is 2 that were just spotted in N.C. a few days ago.
    Last edited by Woodiewacker82; 06-17-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Still have about 30 flying over the house every evening just about at dark. I love hearing them going over!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Sweet

They like cracked corn and wheat....they will bring more back next time they come
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Get more nesting boxes up, enlarge the entrance hole a bit and make it easier for them to raise up some more SC BBW's!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I watched two land in a flooded field in NE Arkansas a couple weeks ago. I turned around and went back to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Around 15 years ago, we were out on duck shoot, winged 4 mallards, brought them back and treated them... 2 died but a pair survived....kept under observation and provided ample space to hide, they laid eggs, used a hen to hatch them...... Used a bathtub for water.......

Ever since to this date, I never thought that I'll be able to handle so many wildlife....Over the years, I added different species and made a pond and installed solar tubewell.... To this date, it became a self-sustaining farm that fed the caretakers by selling excess animals/birds.... Every year I see wild mallards and pintails land here early morning and after sunset, feed, and flyaway....caged certain species as they can't be domesticated.

Sharing 2 videos of my farm ducks hope guys like it.
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 07-08-2020 at 06:20 AM.

I saw several in Charleston Harbor saturday while I was fishing and can only assume they were nesting in a stand of dead timber. Definitely a pleasant suprise.

Cyrus is back, y’all. That’s a nice place you have.

Saw some in the ditch at Venice marina this past weekend. Swimming into the road

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Saw some in the ditch at Venice marina this past weekend. Swimming into the road
    How was the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    http://ncbirds.carolinabirdclub.org/...ecies_id=12209

Here is 2 that were just spotted in N.C. a few days ago.
    I know of 1 killed by a friend while goose hunting the early season up here probably 5-6 years ago in a pasture on the side of Moss Lake. It came in with a flock of canadas off the lake. I know Woodie will know where that is but for the rest of you who are not familiar it is cleveland county NC. Border county up above Spartanburg. Small impoundment with no hunting on the actual lake.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    They like cracked corn and wheat....they will bring more back next time they come
    Usually do a Sept Edisto fishing trip. Two years ago I left the island headed NW a little after daylight. Small cornfield just north of Jacksonboro on the hwy to Walterboro had probably 75-100 in it. Looked like it hadn't been cut long and was only about a mile from the Edisto river. I had bad video and grainy pictures from my phone but I just looked back and must have deleted them.

If we want to expand their range, we shouldn’t shoot them.

I criticized DNR for not taking a more hands on approach toward them.

If I were in charge, I would be calling Florida, Louisiana, etc, to partner with them on a trapping program to bring genetic diversity and release them on wildlife refugee and participating private lands with adequate habitat.

Cuddo would be absolutely ideal.

I hope they return to Clarendon County this year to breed again.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    Usually do a Sept Edisto fishing trip. Two years ago I left the island headed NW a little after daylight. Small cornfield just north of Jacksonboro on the hwy to Walterboro had probably 75-100 in it. Looked like it hadn't been cut long and was only about a mile from the Edisto river. I had bad video and grainy pictures from my phone but I just looked back and must have deleted them.
    I stopped and took a video of em several times. They were there for a while.

Along with the guinea fowl