Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black bellied duck in Darlington

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If we want to expand their range, we shouldn’t shoot them.

I criticized DNR for not taking a more hands on approach toward them.

If I were in charge, I would be calling Florida, Louisiana, etc, to partner with them on a trapping program to bring genetic diversity and release them on wildlife refugee and participating private lands with adequate habitat.

Cuddo would be absolutely ideal.

I hope they return to Clarendon County this year to breed again.
    We already tried to do a banding program in cooperation with Georgia, Florida, alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.
    Was banding them with color coded tarsal bands and each state had a different color. Louisiana and SC were the only states to actually band more than 5. Program was scrubbed due to lack of participation from other states
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I am aware.

DNR’s banding program is kindergarten at best. They should, but don’t, take it as an insult that SNWR refuge has the largest wood duck banding quota in the country. For the 2 years that Marcie and Garrett were there, we met the quota both years with birds to spare.....on a single band site.

DNR has multiple sites and hasn’t banded half of SNWR on their best year.

Same with the mottled and tree duck program....

I hold them to the flame, because I expect better of them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    I watched two land in a flooded field in NE Arkansas a couple weeks ago. I turned around and went back to make sure I wasn’t seeing things.
    There were about 20 last year in the pond at the Riceland HQ offices in Stuttgart. You can see them all over in the spring, then they head out.

I am aware.

DNR’s banding program is kindergarten at best. They should, but don’t, take it as an insult that SNWR refuge has the largest wood duck banding quota in the country. For the 2 years that Marcie and Garrett were there, we met the quota both years with birds to spare.....on a single band site..

DNR has multiple sites and hasn’t banded half of SNWR on their best year.

Same with the mottled and tree duck program....

I hold them to the flame, because I expect better of them.
    My last year with DNR I banded about 110 whistlers....they have never come back to that banding site since

I’m not criticizing you personally.

But it’s fairly well known where the large concentrations of them are, and I don’t think any landowner would say no.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

3BBFC5A6-7BB9-4977-9CE5-5B00E49624B1.jpg544F3C88-B1F2-472E-8278-D5FBBCC355EA.jpgD13A9200-3488-48C5-BDE4-416C8C777EB5.jpg2895D39D-70ED-4C56-9C0F-DD28264707E2.jpgE5F3D42D-E2A5-41B4-A4BB-6EA6622543A5.jpgI’ve gone from 100 or so a month ago to closer to 200 now. They are all paired up and leave every evening to roost. Guess they are bringing more and more with ‘em. Hope to see some little ones soon. I’ve enjoyed watching ‘em.

JCT did you get nesting boxes up?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not criticizing you personally.

But it’s fairly well known where the large concentrations of them are, and I don’t think any landowner would say no.
    Oh I know....I would have done more but was held back....I did get to go on a neighboring property but they were not near as numerous.

I’ve had discussions with several techs on “being held back.”

A lot of em are young and ambitious, but soon realize if they wanna make tech4 they have leave some of that ambition at the house.

It’s stupid, because that ambition would do wonders for waterfowl.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    JCT did you get nesting boxes up?
    Unfortunately, No I didn’t...and I’m kicking myself for it. Next year boxes will be in place.

These birds loud? This is the third year I've had em in my yard. Started with 2. Up to like 10 now. Nest in the trees & make like a screech sound.

That sounds like a heron or some kind of shore bird...these make a light little whistle type sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    These birds loud? This is the third year I've had em in my yard. Started with 2. Up to like 10 now. Nest in the trees & make like a screech sound.
    Toss out a bag of cracked corn and when they find it they'll call their friends and family.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill