Thread: Paw Pads

Default Paw Pads

I had my black lab at the pool over the weekend and he was having a grand old time running around. He showed no signs of pain, but when we got home he started to limp and now he can barely walk. The pads on 3/4 paws came off in places. Has anyone else had this happen to their dog? It's really terrible to watch him suffer like this let alone having to carry an 80 lb dog in and out of the house to poop and pee. I took him to the vet and they gave him some pain meds but didn't know if any of y'all might have some kind of effective home remedies.

My lab has had the same issue a couple times. He limps around like an old dog the next day but he is back to 75-80% in a couple days.

Is it the concrete around the pool that does it?

Gunite pool bottom or super hot concrete or ?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

It was a gunite bottom and it was hot but he was wet the whole time as was the concrete so I don’t know that it was the heat that did it. I think him just pushing off so hard on concrete a couple hundred times took them off.

gunite rips the bottom off my feet too. Poor fella, he'll recover.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Best thing Ive found to regrow pads is penicillin. I use dura-pen. It’s an injectable suspension(Under the skin). When I have a hound burn a pad I give them 3cc’s every other day for a week or so.

My dog has torn up his pads multiple times on oysters. I dress them to stop the bleeding then wrap and put them in small infant socks securing them up top with tape. It seems to still let him get around without as much pain.

Best treatment is tincture of time.
    Hunting outside the box

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/1483/...-dog-boots.htm

My guys in WA and Idaho boot their dogs up when hunting in Basalt.. The dogs get used to them quick.. beats superglue or a trip to the Vet ..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My golden has done it a couple times. At night I dressed with triple antiobiotic, wrapped up and let her sleep with it wrapped. Take it off in the mornings or she would have taken it off herself. When I took it off, washed with peroxide and left her inside so she couldn’t go get it dirty. A dog will naturally keep it clean herself. She was back to normal in a few days. I wouldn’t sweat it too much