Thread: Ackley Improved Questions

Default Ackley Improved Questions

Been digging up some new rifles ideas the last couple of week.

Ran up on a sako L579 in 243 that has been “Ackley Inproved”. As I understand it they neck down the cartridges to allow for more powder (hotter load) to it will have better speed.

Questions:

- is any work actually done to the action? I may build off of it down the road
    -can it shoot factory loads if I get tired of reloading?
    -would rebarreling take it back to a 243? Or another caliber if I chose ?

Ackley cartridges use the same case as the parent cartridge. Shoulder angle is changed and body taper is removed.
    You can shoot factory ammo.
    The difference is the chamber( barrel). You could rebarrel to anything in the .308 family.

My experience is that I got a mild velocity increase (around 100 fps, but a lot plays into it). The cases don't need trimming very often. Fun to work with, but you have to handload to take advantage of it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Doing the research...doesn’t seem at all worth it.

Be fun project if it happens

Shoulder is blown out to 40 degrees to allow more powder, with an increase in FPS.Generally you neck size only until the case requires trimming and you have longer brass life. the increase is usually 100-250 fps, deer never realize the difference, I shot 3 with fire forming loads all DRT. I sold my 280 AI to a friend who elk hunts and wanted something with less recoil than his .300 WM. To me the juice is not worth the squeeze, the small amount of increase in fps really is minimal in the overall scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Shoulder is blown out to 40 degrees to allow more powder, with an increase in FPS.Generally you neck size only until the case requires trimming and you have longer brass life. the increase is usually 100-250 fps, deer never realize the difference, I shot 3 with fire forming loads all DRT. I sold my 280 AI to a friend who elk hunts and wanted something with less recoil than his .300 WM. To me the juice is not worth the squeeze, the small amount of increase in fps really is minimal in the overall scheme.
    You can get those gains with Hornady superformance loads

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    You can get those gains with Hornady superformance loads
    But will it group in your rifle?

All AI rounds are "probably" better served by a re-loader than by an off the shelf shooter. The effort is part of the fun for some reloaders. Tailoring a load to the rifle and trying different powders ect...for little improvements.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Plus Ackley Improved is almost as much fun to say and cool sounding as Creedmore.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I bought it.....now how nuts will I go on the reboot.

1977-1982 vintage Sako L579 Forester in 243 AI....

You can make a helluva rifle off that.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I would turn it into a .257 Bob or a .308. It can be bored out as long as the chamber with clean up. Ask the guys on 24 HR about boring.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I would turn it into a .257 Bob or a .308. It can be bored out as long as the chamber with clean up. Ask the guys on 24 HR about boring.
    What?

Thinking 7mm08 if I redo barrels etc....

Got any leads on gunsmiths familiar with Sako actions? Called Ron Cox today but didn’t get him