Thread: Duckling raising

Default Duckling raising

So the soccer mom network ripped into high gear today and a baby woodduck was “rescued” from a local back yard. Being the only poultry raising household in our circle, the little creature has found her way to my den under a heat lamp. I have raised farm ducks, but never attempted to raise a wild duck. I’ve heard stories over the years that make me feel like my chances of success are slim. Does anyone have any pointers or success stories they can share?

I've never heard of anyone having any luck with a left behind wood duck.

When I worked at Samworth many summers ago, we would collect the eggs from dump nests and put them in an incubator. A lot hatched, and they were raised on regular chick starter. Many made it. When they were able to fly, we took them to a reserve pond on Annandale and let them go. Not one had ever flown more than twenty feet, yet they took off through that swamp, dodging trees like they had been doing it for years.

A left behind duckling is gonna be tough to keep alive, especially a wood duck.

I raised one up from hatching to a couple of months and a Coopers Hawk got him....I sucked as duck dad.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Carolina Waterfowl Rescue in Charlotte will take it, even will assist with transport. Look them up on Facebook or web search. I think the number is 7046849247.

Avian predators return to where they have had success in years past. My 2 cents, turn it out in a thick swamp. Unbelievable at what will eat them- everything eats them.

I raised one. He did pretty well, chilled with me at the lake house for a bit even when he learned to fly.. I was living alone and younger, so I didnt mind fishing or watching tv with a duck. His name was Carl.

If you hatch them....they're like gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe. This was "Gumbo"

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

He was cool, other than they have no qualms about how often or where they poop. Don't feed him that rainbow looking parakeet food, massive runs.

If you mix them in with chickens and they make it they will start acting like chickens. They stay very leery but wont fly much, and are dumb as bricks to predators. Best thing to do is pass it off to a wildlife rehab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Last year I saw a fuzz ball blowing across the pond on a windy rainy afternoon. I hopped in canoe and caught it. I had him for a week or so and my little girl loved on him too hard one day and he died. This year we had the same thing. Happen but I didn’t try to catch it. It’s about full grown now and survived on its own. However a mallard has 5 ducklings around the same age and had a pair of geese produce 6 goslings this year. They all kind of hang out with each other.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    He was cool, other than they have no qualms about how often or where they poop. Don't feed him that rainbow looking parakeet food, massive runs.
    I bought diapers for mine. They would always cruise around at our parties and follow me. Hawk eventually got them.

haha, I should have. when he learned to fly he'd come back to the house and raise heck until I let him inside, and then again until I put him up on the couch with me. I could crush him in Jeopardy. A party is what got him, from the beach to the house, and a drunk fella not watching where he was going. RIP Carl, he was the best duck. Funny thing is that I got my old chocolate right towards the end, back then I almost always had the front door cracked. Carl didn't ruin it, my lab did.. it took until the second time I looked down and noticed he brought a dead nastied up big catfish into the den.

I had a baby wild boar named Warren. Wore a dog collar and learned sit/stay faster than any pup I ever had. Smart little critter. Very trusting for a boar, so my Lab took him on a walk out on the farm and put an end to that nonsense...

damn good dog!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

He was.

Next to last hunt

20200612_091938.jpg

Snow doves

20200612_092017.jpg

Took me a bit, I found out how to get into my old photobucket account

One of my first grilling post on here I think

Spanish, caught a couple hours before

20200612_094437.jpg

A fedora

20200612_094415.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I had a baby wild boar named Warren. Wore a dog collar and learned sit/stay faster than any pup I ever had. Smart little critter. Very trusting for a boar, so my Lab took him on a walk out on the farm and put an end to that nonsense...
    I know a fella from Kingstree that has a pet pig that he’d carry on the dove field and the damn thing would retrieve doves for him. Knowing this fella and his tall tales I didn’t believe him until I saw pictures of said pig standing next to him in a dove field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I think the only place you can still find that hat is at the black suit store.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 06-12-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!