Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ParVo ain’t no joke!

Default ParVo ain’t no joke!

We’ve had more dogs than I can count since I was a boy which included all sorts deer dogs, Boykins and Labs. Not one time have I ever dealt with that disease. My 6month black lab went in to get spayed last week, I got a call about 2:30pm saying she was good and I could get her on my way home from work. About an hour later they called and asked if they could test her for Parvo since she threw up a typical Parvo type smell slime. She had already had 2/3 shots for that but tested positive anyway. She had acted normal with no signs up until then. I chose to leave her there so they could give her fluids and meds thru IV’s. I had to work the next few days and had nobody to take care of her since my boys were with their mom on vacation. After 2 nights I opted to bring her home and do subcutaneous shots in hopes just being home would help. It’s been a long 7 days but I believe she’s over the hump. She lost about 10 lbs but her appetite and spirit is coming back I do believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

It is very hard to watch a pup go through it and can be expensive too. looks like she is going to make it. I'm sure that is a good feeling. Give her a pat for me.

Pretty dog and yea it’s hard to see them go through it prayers for a speedy recovery.

Really glad to hear she’ll be OK. That is one nasty disease.

My next concern would be where she picked it up. If the parvo is around your house can’t she get it again, or just another dog? And if she caught it at your Vet’s, shouldn’t they be at least sharing in her treatment costs, if not cover them?

Fortunately I’ve never had to deal with it before.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Man that is one more pretty lab, where did you get her from?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

My next concern would be where she picked it up. If the parvo is around your house can’t she get it again, or just another dog? And if she caught it at your Vet’s, shouldn’t they be at least sharing in her treatment costs, if not cover them?

After doing some research on where my boys or myself or my dog may have been to get contaminated, I believe I know the source. They say this can show anywhere from 3 days to 10 days after contamination and that Parvo can live in the ground for 10 years. My Ex had two mutts she got from a friend last year, one of them wandered of and the other died about a year after just getting neutered. She claimed it was from complications from the surgery but my boys told me the symptoms. Bloody diarrhea, vomiting and no energy, and those are the 3 telltale signs of it. Well I carry my pup everywhere with me and just the other week I had to stop by her house when the boys were with her to see them before they left for the beach. The dog ran around the yard just being a normal puppy, so I’m thinking that may be where she got it. I can’t say for sure but I’ve bleached everything I have and trashed a few things too. I’ll just have to be mindful if another pup ever come around. I was on pins and needles for days watching her seemingly fade away.
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post

They can’t catch it again. And she didn’t get it at her vets office. The incubation period is longer than a half day.

Parvo virus is very stable in the environment. It can still cause problems years after its dumped there.

Knowing that, good luck trying to figure out where she got it.

Vaccines are funny. They have to be handled properly and given at the right time and interval in order for them to be as effective as possible. But even if protocols are followed to the letter there’s a small percentage that won’t have the desired immune response and catch it anyway.

If your dog recovered it was her immune system that healed her. All we do is support the body so it can do its job.

Glad your pup recovered. Good lookin critter.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    A friend I used to hunt with in the Lancaster area. Dad was English and mom American.

Glad she is doing better K. She sure is pretty.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by colej View Post
    A friend I used to hunt with in the Lancaster area. Dad was English and mom American.
    I would love to have one that looks just like her

If he ever has another litter I will holler back at ya! This is her just a week or so before she got sick.

Sorry K

If he ever has another litter I will holler back at ya! This is her just a week or so before she got sick.

Best dogs in the world

You should go to your vet’s office, throw a brick through the window and start chanting shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You should go to your vet’s office, throw a brick through the window and start chanting shit.
    Ha ha, My normal Vet was booked too far out so I went to another in town. We went to school together as kids before I moved to the outskirts of Bonetown and he's a good guy with good staff. I do believe she wouldn't have made it if it weren't for them administering IV fluids to keep her from crashing any harder than she did. Don't get me wrong, it hurt my Wallet pretty bad because I’ve never had to sink that kind of money into a dog but it would've hurt my heart even more if she had died. She’s unlike any dog I’ve ever had and this here situation just proved it that much more. I mean heck, she just battled a deadly disease while trying to recover from surgery, I'm kinda regretting having her spayed now because I'd love to have another like her when the time comes. Everything happens for a reason though!
    Last edited by colej; 06-12-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Let me know if it’s that place in Spartanburg cause if it is I’m gonna need you to go in and grab a few things for me after you toss that brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Let me know if it’s that place in Spartanburg cause if it is I’m gonna need you to go in and grab a few things for me after you toss that brick.
    980 S Pine St

Meet you there at 2130.

I’m a shadow operator.....I’ll let you know what I need though.

We done smoked it all.

I hear riedville road a.h. is well stocked and unguarded.

And I’m pretty sure they ain’t woke over there.

That's exactly what I had, and what I am currently looking for. He was lean, long legged, and had a blocky head. I'm having no luck.