Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 94.23%
  • No

3 5.77%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Will they cave?

If that flag is about heritage and not hate then why does it only come out during times of racial tension?

I actually have respect for folks that fly it 24/7 because for them I feel it actually might be about heritage. It might be a heritage of hate but......

I have a flag that flew over the captital. My dad got it for me. At the time I thought it was pretty cool. Inside was a signed certificate acknowledging that it was, in fact, flown over the captital and the date was incorporated.......Jan 15th. You gotta be fucking kidding me. I burned the certificate and kept the flag. I’ve had that flag since before tot was born and fully intend to give it him and it especially sucks because wouldn’t ya know it He was later born on Jan 15th.

I also have a flag that was flown over my boat, USS Philadelphia, that I commandeered while I was aboard that will give him at some point with instructions that it’s to be the flag draped over my coffin when they bury my ass. It could probably stand a cleaning so I guess I’ll have to look up the protocol for that at some point in time.

Lots of people fly them regularly at nascar events (well used to) or on their boats, stickers on trucks, bikinis on women tattoos on arms.

It's not that it will personally affect me, it's the fact that once the name is changed ,where will it stop. Will they take the Thurmond name away from Winthrop and change other building names. Are going to take down Stone Mountain ,the Washington monument, do away with the Hunley research , change street names, city names, where does it stop? My goodness it's history, you can't change that, you can rewrite the books, but it still happened. How about Ft Sumter, Ft Bragg, Ft Hood, Ft Stewart, where does it stop? Will USC change from the Gamecocks because of Thomas Sumter? Will Cheraw change from the Braves, Byrnes the Rebels, Wade Hampton Generals? Will every team that has a animal mascot be changed because PETA says it's cruel?
    Last edited by rrconductor; 06-14-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Why weren't the Confederate memorials offensive during our first black presidents 8 years in office with a black Sec of State and black AG?
    I'll hang up and listen now

I say clemson gives the living family full value of what the property is worth in today's dollars and they can do what they want with it. If not then tough shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    If that flag is about heritage and not hate then why does it only come out during times of racial tension?

I actually have respect for folks that fly it 24/7 because for them I feel it actually might be about heritage. It might be a heritage of hate but......

I have a flag that flew over the captital. My dad got it for me. At the time I thought it was pretty cool. Inside was a signed certificate acknowledging that it was, in fact, flown over the captital and the date was incorporated.......Jan 15th. You gotta be fucking kidding me. I burned the certificate and kept the flag. I’ve had that flag since before tot was born and fully intend to give it him and it especially sucks because wouldn’t ya know it He was later born on Jan 15th.

I also have a flag that was flown over my boat, USS Philadelphia, that I commandeered while I was aboard that will give him at some point with instructions that it’s to be the flag draped over my coffin when they bury my ass. It could probably stand a cleaning so I guess I’ll have to look up the protocol for that at some point in time.
    Tot and I have the same birthday. We are destined for greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Why weren't the Confederate memorials offensive during our first black presidents 8 years in office with a black Sec of State and black AG?
    I'll hang up and listen now
    It is worth noting that Obama's Presidency lasted twice as long as the Confederate States of America...

The confederacy dissolved 150 years ago. If all of this is really about states rights, why not fly a palmetto flag and vote libertarian.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

So what will be the new U of SC mascot? Seems “Gamecocks” May be in jeopardy.

Gamecocks mascot came from the bird, not Sumter.

Gives "Climp5ining" a new meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post

People in Europe use the confederate flag as a symbol of defiance, but I bet they are just racist and hate the black man. Surly that flag can only mean one thing and that would be to hate on people based on what color they are. I’m sure that my great great grandfather and all his brother, cousins and friends that never owned a slaved all marched off to other states to die so some rich boys could own them a black person.

The flag is indeed offensive. It defended slavery. So did the Christian cross, the crescent moon, and whatever symbol the Hebrews lived under. A lot of hate groups use those symbols to commit crimes, as well. Everybody [including those who hasn't hurt or owned slaves] should be ashamed to have those symbols represent them.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    The flag is indeed offensive. It defended slavery. So did the Christian cross, the crescent moon, and whatever symbol the Hebrews lived under. A lot of hate groups use those symbols to commit crimes, as well. Everybody [including those who hasn't hurt or owned slaves] should be ashamed to have those symbols represent them.
    just to clarify, you are saying folks should be ashamed to have a Christian cross around their neck or wherever?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-15-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    So what will be the new U of SC mascot? Seems “Gamecocks” May be in jeopardy.
    They can change it to whatever the people want who are still watching it after they disrespect our national anthem the first game they play. They can call them the Burning S hermans for all I will ever care again at that moment...

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Gamecocks mascot came from the bird, not Sumter.
    Not according to most sources. I think they even mention him on their website although they’ve tried to “soften” the association. Sure is ironic they would be called the “fighting Gamecocks” which was his nickname. Honestly, I couldn’t care less what they are called but let’s not pretend their history is unblemished.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    just to clarify, you are saying folks should be ashamed to have a Christian cross around their neck or wherever?
    No, that's rhetoric to prove a point I wanted to make: We all have symbols that could rub someone the wrong way, no matter how kind or loving we are as people.
    Last edited by w33kender; 06-23-2020 at 06:17 PM.

For the record, I don't give a shit who I offend. I'm too old to worry about such silly shit.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    People in Europe use the confederate flag as a symbol of defiance, but I bet they are just racist and hate the black man. Surly that flag can only mean one thing and that would be to hate on people based on what color they are. I’m sure that my great great grandfather and all his brother, cousins and friends that never owned a slaved all marched off to other states to die so some rich boys could own them a black person.

Precisely. My office and I (3 white dudes and 1black dude) just had this conversation... all of us from indentured servitude
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson