52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 94.23%
  • No

3 5.77%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will they cave?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    John C. Calhoun was one of the greatest South Carolinians that ever lived.

Ben Tillman was as evil a piece of shit as we ever spawned.

Choose wisely...
    LOL Exactly what I was thinking.
    DILLIGAF

John C. Calhoun was one of the greatest South Carolinians that ever lived.

Ben Tillman was as evil a piece of shit as we ever spawned.

Choose wisely...
    Well said!

Pretty sure this was a rhetorical poll, but someone didn’t get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Why y’all thinking so hard on this??? Just ask Auburn what they call theirs.
    Just change it to Plagiarist Hall.

It’s a sad situation for sure. When people erase history, they are doomed to repeat it. There will come another war within the US in this century. Look at all the Muslims that were killed over the centuries. Think they have forgotten their history? Nope. They hate us more than ever, and if they can’t kill us, they are working hard to out reproduce us. They will outnumber and outvote Christians and impose their will. This country had better wake up. Everyone thinks the South is racist, etc. There were a ton of slaves owned by Yankees. I travel a lot hunting, and I hear more derogatory comments and the “n word” more in trips OOS, than I will hear here in SC in years.

What a liberal shithole
    I heard TL is leading the protest to take down Calhoun's name and replace it with Liberace's
    liberace-in-the-1950s.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-11-2020 at 02:47 PM.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    It’s a sad situation for sure. When people erase history, they are doomed to repeat it. There will come another war within the US in this century. Look at all the Muslims that were killed over the centuries. Think they have forgotten their history? Nope. They hate us more than ever, and if they can’t kill us, they are working hard to out reproduce us. They will outnumber and outvote Christians and impose their will. This country had better wake up. Everyone thinks the South is racist, etc. There were a ton of slaves owned by Yankees. I travel a lot hunting, and I hear more derogatory comments and the “n word” more in trips OOS, than I will hear here in SC in years.
    This, on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    why isnt a mob trying to burn down Winthrop?

Because there arent any TV cameras there, Thats why.
    Ahem...

Petitions urge removal of Tillman, Thurmond names at Winthrop University
    BY AMANDA HARRIS
    JUNE 11, 2020 11:32 AM , UPDATED 3 HOURS 23 MINUTES AGO

ROCK HILL
    Two respective petitions are calling for Winthrop University to rename buildings bearing the names of men with ties to racism.

Both petitions went online this week.

Tiana Neal started an online petition to rename Tillman Hall, which had garnered 1,284 signatures as of Thursday morning.

“This building is named after a white supremacist. With everything going on right now I think it is very important that Winthrop stand and show support to its students of the black community,” the petition states.

This isn’t the first time Winthrop students and supporters have petitioned to rename Tillman Hall. Students marched in 2016 following police shooting deaths, including that of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte.

Tillman was originally called Main Building on campus, according to Winthrop. Benjamin Tillman, a South Carolina governor and U.S. senator, was instrumental in establishing Winthrop College and Clemson University, The Herald reported in 2016.

However, on Winthrop’s website, Tillman is described as “a staunch supporter of agricultural populism, also was an avowed white supremacist, architect of state Jim Crow laws, and a violent advocate of lynch law.”

The petition states: “I was very disheartened to see that my university has a building named after this man. If you are not proud to advertise all that this man has done and fought for besides being a S.C. governor then their shouldn’t be a building named after this man the African American students have to go in every day for classes. A change is needed.”

Pierre Wooten, a Winthrop alum, started an online petition to remove all references to Strom Thurmond on Winthrop’s campus, including renaming Thurmond Hall. More than 280 people had signed the petition as of Thursday morning.

Wooten, 39, earned a bachelor’s in marketing from Winthrop in 2002 and a master’s in business administration in 2005. He attended classes in Thurmond.

Thurmond served as a U.S. senator from 1954 to 2003. He served on Winthrop’s board of trustees from 1936-38 and again from 1947-51 while he was South Carolina’s governor, according to Winthrop.

Thurmond supported racial segregation. He led the longest speaking filibuster by a single senator to date as he fought against the Civil Rights Act of 1957.

“In light of all the racial injustice, we believe Winthrop will recognize having his name still connected to the University sends a clear message to every current and prospective African-American student that racism is acceptable. And as we are seeing across the nation this is unacceptable,” the petition states.

Protests continue in the Charlotte region and across the country following George Floyd’s death. About 1,000 people recently marched through downtown Rock Hill.

A goal of Winthrop’s strategic plan is to increase diversity among students and staff. The university increased from 39% in fall 2015 to 42% in fall 2019 the percentage of students who identify themselves as African-American, Latin American, Native American, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Asian, two or more races or international, according to the university.

Wooten said during a phone interview with The Herald that he loves Winthrop and has acted as a mentor for students. He said the petition aims to preserve Winthrop’s inclusive culture and ensure the university continues to attract a variety of students.

“It’s for the spirit of making Winthrop better,” Wooten said. “Remove what shouldn’t be there but also to preserve the growth Winthrop is having.”

Winthrop University released the following statement:

“Several of our administrative and academic buildings bear the names of individuals who contributed to racism and oppression. We are aware that the names of these buildings create polarizing viewpoints.

“Many strongly believe that we cannot keep these building names because of who they represent. Others counsel retaining the name to recall the historic victory of the first African Americans to attend Winthrop as students, realizing an achievement Ben Tillman himself would never have countenanced,” reads the statement.

According to Winthrop, the building names are protected under the S.C. Heritage Act of 2000 and cannot be changed by the university. The S.C. General Assembly would have to overturn the act with a two-thirds majority vote.

“We encourage all who have strong feelings about the names on Winthrop buildings to reach out to their legislators and request action,” reads the statement.

Wooten said he hopes the petition will encourage Winthrop leaders to be an advocate for change. He said he also supports renaming Tillman Hall.

“I understand it doesn’t fall on Winthrop in terms of making that decision ... but the push from this side is to make sure that Winthrop is making that push for the student body,” Wooten said.

The GA will melt & fold like a wet rag. They'll vote for it quicker than any BOT's out there.

I’d really like to do away with the NFA. I wonder if all of the gun folks decided to act like heathens for a week or two, if we could get that done? At least it’s a defined goal. What’s the goal with this “movement”?

I don't envy the people on that BOT, but I sure wish that they had done the right thing and voluntarily gotten rid of the maggoty Tillman name years ago when they had the opportunity. Doing it now, under duress, will set off a cascading chain of "out wokeing" each other from Jasper County to Cheraw...
    Why you want to bring Cheraw into this conversation?

Because it is further north than Latta, and home to the first Confederate Monument in the South...

Vote um out 11/03/2020. Otherwise Hush It
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    It’s a sad situation for sure. When people erase history, they are doomed to repeat it. There will come another war within the US in this century.
    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
    George Orwell, 1984

The past proves the present.......or something like that.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Lady Antebellum is now Lady A! WTF is going on with these people?
    Low country redneck who moved north

The board has renamed Calhoun Honors College as Clemson Honors College effective immediately. They have also requested that the General Assembly restore Tilman Hall to its original name of "Old Main"
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

How long before another demand? No racist American flags! No violent cannon at football games! Thomas Clemson was a racist! Half the streets at USofC are named after slave owners! Gamecocks are symbols of white trash supremacy and animal exploitation! There is never an end to this lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    The board has renamed Calhoun Honors College as Clemson Honors College effective immediately. They have also requested that the General Assembly restore Tilman Hall to its original name of "Old Main"
    Toldja......

“Auburn Honors College”......”Clemson Honors College”

“Old Main” sounds stupid, I would suggest “Samford Hall”.

"Old Main" was never an official name according the the archives. It is what the cadets used to call it.
    I'm going to heaven for the weather and hell for the company.

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a whole lot of noise.