Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food

Default Dog food

Need some options that work well with dogs that have some food allergies. I have tried purina one smart blend, 4health, diamond, and taste of the wild. I have a GSP and a labrador.but one food or another seems to bother at least one of the dogs.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

What are they allergic to would be the first question.

You can't remedy a problem effectively if you don't know what exactly the problem is. In this case you believe your dogs have allergies to something. Find out what the dogs are allergic to then you can find a dog food that doesn't contain what they're allergic to.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I use Victor. One of my dogs(both labs) has a stomach like a tank and the other is sensitive. It works for both. Same name brand but different variety under that name brand since one just turned 10 and the other is 5

Figure out what their allergic to first off. I figured out my new lab is allergic to chicken. Switched her over to Purina Pro Plan lamb and rice formula and all good now.

Close thread

Talking to vet but always a good idea to have more than one opinion.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

FYI: I’ve never had a problem feeding Ol’ Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Talking to vet but always a good idea to have more than one opinion.
    There are no opinions. It either is or it isn't. They are either allergic to something or they aren't and opinion isn't going to make them any more or less allergic to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    There are no opinions. It either is or it isn't. They are either allergic to something or they aren't and opinion isn't going to make them any more or less allergic to something.
    Well more wanted opinions on dog foods. As when I go to the vet would like to have options to bring up that others have experience with. Would seem to me that having options to discuss would be a good idea. Figured with the collective experience and those that run kennels on here someone would have a better idea than google....

Victor has seemed to help with us. Switched from eukanuba chicken to taste of the wild salmon and still had some issues.

We (my vet and myself) found that food isn’t the only allergy considered the outside influences of the yard. Between a good solid food and a bath with a medicated shampoo we have controlled most of it. I used to give apoquel, but just not a fan of the problems it may cause with how it works.

I switched to Salmon and potato for my chocolate who had dermatitis and it's helped his skin clear up. Four Health from Tractor Supply
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I feed Diamond. My girls are healthy, like it and leave solid turds in my own yard.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

We've had good luck with Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach for a while.

Default Dog food

My pudel brothers and sisters swear by this. Order from chewy. ??

I’m using costco brand by Diamond because that’s what the breeder feeds his dogs.

Last edited by britton40; 06-10-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I feed Diamond. My girls are healthy, like it and leave solid turds in my own yard.
    I see what u did there

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I see what u did there
    Yeah, had to. In fairness, they are polite and have one section of the yard they tend to use other than the butt drag in the good grass.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    My pudel brothers and sisters swear by this. Order from chewy. ??

I’m using costco brand by Diamond because that’s what the breeder feeds his dogs.

We've tried it on several dogs that weren't doing well on pro plan. Every dog had loose stools, like a black tar. They lost weight, coat looked worse, and began to leave food in the bowl. It may be great for every other dog on earth, but not for the only 5 I've seen eat it.

My wife had our Golden tested by the canine dermatologist. We fed wheat free food for years prior. He isn't allergic to wheat just everything else found in the environment. Prayers headed your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    We've tried it on several dogs that weren't doing well on pro plan. Every dog had loose stools, like a black tar. They lost weight, coat looked worse, and began to leave food in the bowl. It may be great for every other dog on earth, but not for the only 5 I've seen eat it.
    Good to know. Thanks!!

My killer pit has to eat fromm the working dogs all get ProPlan. But without going to the vet you are just shooting in the dark.