Thread: Retriever questions?

Default Retriever questions?

How hard is it to get a young started dog? Any idea what kind of price would be on one?

If that's out of the question, what kind of price would you put in to having one started?

I haven't had a lab in over 20 years. The last one I bought was out of Bay Creek well before the new guy took over.

I'm not set on having a lab either. I would look at a Chesapeake. I'm not looking into getting into any kind of hunt test. Just something to pick up doves and ducks. I would prefer to have a female in hopes of getting a smaller dog. My back isn't that good and having to pick up a dog from time to time wouldn't be any fun with a big male.

I would think buying a pup and having it started would be about the same as buying one started, but I would definitely defer to Rhett. He has my male chessie now. Mine weighs 60-65lbs FYI. Not all chessies are built like small horses! What type time frame are you looking at?
    Last edited by baydog; 06-09-2020 at 09:29 PM.

It's not difficult to find a started pup, it's a matter of time. It'll take longer if you have a long list of preferences (type, color, sex, level of training, pedigree). You could buy a dog this week or next if you're flexible. $1,500 and up for a started dog. $5k for a started lab (or Chesapeake) that is through FF and handling multiple marks and basic blinds should be a reasonable budget. You mitigate risk by purchasing a started dog because you're buying a dog that demonstrates character and ability. At the puppy stage we're relying on their pedigree.

If you consider feed and medical bills, you'd likely pay more to purchase a puppy, and send it to school (training). Most folks prefer a puppy over a started dog so the started dogs can be purchased at a discount.

Rhett Riddle, referenced above, is good people.

RhettRiddle@gmail.com
    803-608-2252
    Last edited by TennDan; 06-10-2020 at 12:11 AM.

I got a lead on a black male that'll be a year old in Sept a few minutes after posting this. I'm going to go look at him tomorrow. I was leaning towards a female but I'm so late in the game that I don't know that I'll find one. I would like to have a dog that I can dove hunt with in Sept and then move on to ducks later this year and this one would definitely be old enough to do that.

I told them I would want them to keep him for training and I would pick him up before dove season if we come to terms on the dog. The biggest plus on this one is the kennel is only 5 minutes down the road and I could be there to watch/learn and participate. I guess we will see what happens tomorrow.

But... If anybody has any leads then I'm all ears. This one may not work out.

Who is the trainer? That would be one of my biggest concerns? Get a quality pup... even a great trainer can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Rhett is damn good even if he is queer as hell. Don't go for convienence, go for a damn good trainer even if they are further out from you...thank me later!
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 06-10-2020 at 05:44 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Convenience should be waaaaay down the list when making this decision. You are getting a 12-14 year partner, and the decision shouldn't be based on what can be ready for this September. This is a dog, not a dove stool
    Last edited by trkykilr; 06-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Started dogs can be found pretty easily if you look around. Price depends on your definition of "Started". To me a started dog is one thats been through a "gun dog" program. One that is obedient, force fetched, collar conditioned, reliably picking up marks in the field, and introduced to all of the settings of a hunting scenario but not yet doing any handling work. I'd say the common price for that dog is around $2500. Could be more, could be less depending on the potential of the dog. Well worth it if you factor in all of the training, vet visits, food, etc...

As said above, convenience and rushing the dog to hunt in September shouldn't be a factor. If that is a must, spend a little more and buy a dog that is 100% ready to hunt.
    Last edited by Quack07; 06-10-2020 at 07:15 AM.