Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle to pair with a Swarovski.....for deer

Default Rifle to pair with a Swarovski.....for deer

Long story short Pops is 75 now...still hunts but more of a box stand 75 yard shot type deal.

They are downsizing houses and I am helping him sort through 50yrs of hunting shit...he hands me his Swaro PV 3-12x50.

This damn scope has laid down some monsters is several states.....obviously I will keep it forever.

I have been hunting the last 5 yrs with a nicely tweaked tikka t3 stainless 25-06 with an older large ziess conquest on it. Killed a lot of deer and have utmost confidence in it.

My conundrum is do I just put the swaro on the tikka cause I love it so much or do I buy/build something special in another 25-06 or possibly a 7mm08 or similar to carry Pops old scope.

If I did another gun budget would be a grand or so.

Having confidence in a gun means a lot in my book, I wouldn’t mess with an already deadly combination.

And getting another gun is always a good thing
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

buy you a super grade M70 in 30-06 and put that baby on top in some talley bases.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Never turn down an opportunity to buy a new rifle
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Kind of what I thought you jokers would say......

Mauser. Then take him hunting with it.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 06-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

It doesn't take a very expensive rifle to be accurate out to 75 yards. Get him something in a light caliber and let him enjoy that fine scope. And, you'll have a light back-up deer rifle if you need it for anything or if we get attacked by zombie marmots.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

6.5 Creedmoor, wait, I mean 30-06. Wait, dang it, I’m so confused.

Whatever you get, that scope deserves some nice wood.

I have a very nice 25-06 browning stainless for sale in the TP

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    I have been hunting the last 5 yrs with a nicely tweaked tikka t3 stainless 25-06 with an older large ziess conquest on it. Killed a lot of deer and have utmost confidence in it.
    Unless you really want to add another rifle, or your Pop wants to continue hunting occasionally and you want to have a spare rifle for him to use, I'd replace that Zeiss Conquest with the Swaro in a heartbeat. The Swaro is at least a shade brighter than the Conquest, unless those older ones had much better glass than the newer ones do.

Let us know what you decide on.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Get a nice Ruger #1 international in 257 bob for that scope

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Get a nice Ruger #1 international in 257 bob for that scope
    Yes sir, if you can find one. I kick myself for letting one get away. Though I did have one that was minute of pie plate in ‘06 and would knock your dick in your watch pocket after you applied the 8# of pressure to the trigger.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 06-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

i don't have the experience most of these fellas have, but i have both (sauer in .270) and would absolutely recommend.....will always be partial to my 700, but both of these feel and look better in my hands

Yep Swaro going on a new rifle....which he will hunt with on our land which he will think is cool.

- now to buy or build? Probably leaning buy.....
    - like the 7mm08 /257/6.5 ideas...already have a 25-06 and 260 honed in like I like....although another 25-06 would be easy on the bullet closet
    - thinking nice wood and blued
    -budget under $900

Thinking built 700 / older sako / Ruger #1 / tikka hunter

Or build off of a tikka or Howa action
    Last edited by jwterry3; 06-08-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Thoughts on Sako A2 Forester?

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    Thoughts on Sako A2 Forester?
    It’s a L579 with a bolt shroud. Produced from the late 70’s through mid 80’s IIRC. It’s a Sako, they’re all good.

Echoing Salty, I have a no. 1 in 30-06. It's a thumper. Cool and pretty, but not historically great accuracy wise. If you go no. 1 route, I would definitely stick with 25-06 or 7-08 (or something in that recoil range). I would find you a nice older Finnbear with nice wood and call it a day.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Having confidence in a gun means a lot in my book, I wouldn’t mess with an already deadly combination.

And getting another gun is always a good thing
    wisdom on both points. messing w a proven set up is bad mojo
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston