Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shark pros

Default Shark pros

We’re gonna be in Cherry Grove in a few weeks. My daughter and some of her friends want to try to catch a shark off the pier a couple of nights. Can someone please give me the cliff notes version. I’m not interested in doing a whole bunch of reading to go catch a 15” shark, but I want them to have a good time. I can figure the rod out, but what size line, type of rig, and bait? Thanks for your help!

How big of shark we wanting to catch?
    I popped in an old family tape that was labeled shark a while back. I’ve got some stellar black and white home video from the day they caught the world record tiger off of the cherry grove pier.

Sharp nose or small sharks you can land most of the time on a chicken rig with cut bait and a circle hook. Hell, you can catch big sharks like that too. Tigers, bull, blacktip, spinners etc I’d opt for a Carolina rig or 3 way on a wire leader.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    I popped in an old family tape that was labeled shark a while back. I’ve got some stellar black and white home video from the day they caught the world record tiger off of the cherry grove pier.
    Small enough it can be lifted to the pier. I ain’t trying to run down the pier with a rod and off onto the beach to land a shark. Lol

Any type cut fish caught off pier or buy some fresh mullet. Set it on bottom with largest line you have. Want a pull, go to fish cleaning station along surf line, throw out a Spanish carcass, count to 3 and hang on.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Isn't it illegal to "shark fish" in the Myrtle area? OF course you can fish and catch a shark, but I believe you have to release immediately. Something about everyone from Ohio being scared of sharks...

There's an Asian looking yankee coonass that swears cut bluefish is the best for them. He's filled the instagrams of 75% of Ohians using just that.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Man I’d love to see that
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We catch a ton on menhaden,100 mono leader with a 8/0- 10/0 circle hook - any good medium heavy rod with a good reel that holds 250 yards of big game 20 will do what you want.- I have caught 8' sharks on that rig. Cut up spanish or half a bloody bluefish works great too. Caught way to many as bycatch on eels while cobia fishing- sharks love em,

sons just spent a week (using Gbelly's rods) catching sharks off the pier after dark. Best night was 29, apparently.

Cut bluefish is great if fresh. They had lots of menhaden and cut it in hunks.

You can handle it. Very simple.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    You can handle it. Very simple.
    Thanks for having confidence in me! Gave my week a great start!

I'm with meathook. If you go out there guns a blazin' trying to catch shark there, you'll be asked to leave. If you're just trying to catch those little sharks, they'll pretty much bite anything. Cut pinfish, blues, shrimp etc. will catch them.

I was in cherry grove area a few weeks ago. We caught 3 or 4 sharks fishing with cut bait and a circle hook.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    There's an Asian looking yankee coonass that swears cut bluefish is the best for them. He's filled the instagrams of 75% of Ohians using just that.
    This. Book a shark trip with Capt Tom. Epic. Your girls won't forget it.

Cherry Grove park at the curve during low tide is great place to throw a cast net for mullet and blues. We have a house there. PM me if you need anything

Don't overthink it. Thick Mono leader and a big circle hook plus meat at the end. That'll do it.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Man I’d love to see that
    1780 lbs. in 1964. World record tiger shark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Small enough it can be lifted to the pier. I ain’t trying to run down the pier with a rod and off onto the beach to land a shark. Lol
    If you put cut bait in the water, you can't control what eats it. When I was a kid, we targeted sharks off those piers. There was an ordinance that prohibited fishing for sharks so we hid what we were doing by using kingfish tackle. We'd set an anchor rod and attach the bait to that line with a release clip and send it close to the bottom. Sometimes we'd use live bait, which works the best, and sometimes we'd use cut bait. If memory serves, our tackle was a pair of 9.0 Senator reels. Sometimes they'd be 3' and sometimes they'd be 8'. Getting them up is done with a treble gaff shown in the link below. They probably sell these at Boulinuea's.

https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Thro...MRZDGSVVSY4TEF

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

dont listen to fish.

dont buy a damn thing.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-09-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.