Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bullet help for whitetails...

Looks like a light strike. Speaking of, I got in a a group bulk buy of primers. Rebranded Wolf. I picked the first 5K up yesterday, loaded a few up and the first one was a dud... the rest did fine, but kind of an oh shit moment....
    Last edited by FLS; 04-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    RH, that looks possibly like a gun issue. Obviously it's a light strike. Maybe a little crud near the pin, etc.
    Did you try to fire it again?
    It's a lot better ding than it looks in that photo. I shot that barrel 25 times last year leading up to the season and once afterwards and it worked just fine. If anything it may be the wrong primer for that case. It seems to be seated a little deeper and the "shoulders" of the primer are more rounded than other loads from the same box. Either way though, it's a Remington factory issue, best I can tell.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Could be a “hard” primer. Or over seated and crushed the anvil. Never hurts to clean the inside of the bolt. Or atleast drop it in a sonic cleaner with ballistol

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Nah that was hard enough to fire it. I occasionally hear of a factory misfire but not often. They are usually Remington CL’s though. May not be your situation but it can be the way they are stored. I load almost everything I shoot. I prefer Federal 210-M or Winchester WLR. Never had a failure with either over quite a few K fired. Time to start hand loading so you will KNOW how they are loaded and you can tailor a load to a specific rifle. Unfortunately components are pretty hard to find right now. If you want a small sample of things to try, I might be able to help you out.....i.e. powder, primers, bullets.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Could be a “hard” primer. Or over seated and crushed the anvil. Never hurts to clean the inside of the bolt. Or atleast drop it in a sonic cleaner with ballistol
    No bolt..haha. If anything it's a weak spring from sitting cocked in a gun safe for forty years...

It’s not your gun. It’s those crap core lokts.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    It’s not your gun. It’s those crap core lokts.
    Yeah, I'm pretty done with those. I've got enough American Whitetail 150s for Dad, my son, my BIL and myself to all switch.