Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocols, family, and survival

Default Protocols, family, and survival

After a very intense confrontation at my house tonight I have realized some things need implementing. Please offer opinions and personal experience for the following. Let’s say you have two kids. Mine are 11 and 8. This is not the scenario that played out tonight but I’m questioning some original thoughts on things: If you run to the store that’s a half mile from your house to get some chicken for dinner, you leave kids at said age at the house. Let’s say oldest is very capable of handling a weapon. Do you and your family, mainly kids have a well laid plan for anyone entering your house while you are away? Do you train them for this? Have you implemented a plan for them. Let’s say you are at the neighbors house helping him move a couch and kids are alone. Let’s say wife and kids are there and they have a window broken and a guy is climbing in.

I say this and ask these questions to make you realize that if you have never thought about this or have and didn’t act on it yet I’d encourage you to come up with a plan to lay out for the family. No matter, what if you aren’t there to protect your family in the best way what are plans b or c? Do you have this?

Expand!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Take them to the store with you. Problem solved...

11 and 8 at night alone are nonstarter for me. Oldest handles a gun well...you mean like shooting squirrels doves maybe ducks and or turkeys deer from a stand, or while getting shot at under extreme duress? Give me a break. I like the idea of a plan, but I’d start by trying my best not to put an 11 year old in that situation alone and get my wife up to speed in a big way with an 870 and buckshot.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

You could get a pit bull but according to the experts on here they will eat your kids. No really though I good dog of most any breed hell a good mutt will keep most trouble at bay. I don’t have kids so I can’t offer anything in that department.

I’m just asking in terms of planning. I want to develop a plan and as opposed to telling the kids hey your mom and dad have been shot please do your best I’d like them to have something to think about. Posing scenarios as adults are at neighbors or store seemed a little less traumatic in terms of thought process for the kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Last edited by scoutlover; 06-02-2020 at 04:10 AM.

I try not to leave my children in a situation that's going to force them to act in a manor they aren't prepared. However, we talk about with them. We routinely (in a healthy way) talk about things such as if you are in the yard and someone approaches. Or if you hear someone in the house and for some reason we aren't able to help (again careful not to create fear but explain reality). I think the best and most sensible thing to do is talk about it with children so that they have some sort of plan in their head. To me, its no different than adults training for deployment, SF trainings, active shooter, etc. Repetition is the best preparation. We do our best to create a mindset that will set them up for survival. One thing I do try to graphically explain to them is if someone grabs you don't try to act like a super hero in the cartoons. That person is bigger, meaner, and stronger. If you want to escape you have to do everything possible to survive and that means biting until you bite ears, skin, whatever off. Not biting like you are wresting with the neighbor and they bite your shoulder or something. You poke eyes as hard as you can, etc. The one thing I find challenging is assessing kids personalities and maturity on what they can process mentally. For example my son can clearly understand what I'm saying and that it's not for practice on other kids, etc. My daughter though likes to push limits and I have to be careful as she isn't as quick to draw the line. However, I have to push my son further b/c he's naturally not wanting to hurt someone. I have no doubt my daughter would take pleasure in hurting someone! haha...

I agree with the good dog comment. We have a 60lb mutt that would die 10 times over before someone hurt my two girls. (13 & 10)

Eight and 11 are awfully young.

PM sent
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Easy to say I would never leave my 8 & 11 year old at home but for a 10 minute run to the store I don't think that's unreasonable. Several years ago when my oldest was probably 13/14 we had a young couple ring our doorbell about 8:00 at night. They asked to borrow a phone to call a ride and were both clearly on something, I'm guessing Meth by their looks and how jumpy they were. I yelled up the stairs for my son to grab his shotgun and stand in my office next to the front door and be ready to hand it to me should they try to rush into the house while I was talking to them. I let them use my cell phone, gave them both a bottle of water and told them they would have to wait for their ride at the entrance to the neighborhood. They asked if they could just sit on our swing and got a little confrontational until I raised my voice, told them I'd been nicer than most would have been and to move the hell on. They finally complied. While I wasn't really scared due to their size and the fact they were high it scared the shit outta me about what if my kids had been home alone and these idiots showed up. That night we put a plan in place and made sure everyone knew where guns and ammo were kept, not to answer the door like my dumbass did to people you don't know, and to go over an escape plan. I think you are doing the right thing here my preparing your kids.

8 and 11- home alone in your scenario- they need an instant escape plan to a neighbors house- if they are upstairs they need an escape ladder( should have one for fire anyway). Ruling out an escape- they need a button that activates a very loud siren and lights outside.

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    After a very intense confrontation at my house tonight
    Can you give details? was this something personal or something that locals should be concerned about?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

When I was six, my parents put me out to play in the neighborhood, alone or with friends. If I came home and Mom wasn't there, I knew I missed a trip to the store and carried on as normal. This was way before everyone had a personal communicator device. Now it's too dangerous to leave an 11 year old home?

Yeah, I’m the same as PB.

At 10, I was able to walk 250 yards in the dark with a high powered rifle with no cell phone, or was dropped off at the Gasque Pond at 8am with a lunchbox and not picked up til damn near dark.

Surely they’ll be fine at the house for 11 minutes while you grab a can of dip.

Bean, I honestly wouldn’t even freak em out with something like that.

Paint the world as a dark picture and you may scare them more than you know.

If you turn off the TV, it’s a beautiful place to live.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

If you turn off the TV, it’s a beautiful place to live.

This is the best advice, I among other people need to heed it more.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 06-02-2020 at 10:36 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

When I was 10, i used to ride my bicycle several miles away from the house, partially on a highway, to Antioch Grocery to buy my cigarettes (Marlboro Reds). Then would ride until dark, stopping for the occasional smoke. my only fear was being sucked under a passing 18 wheeler, or riding past the graveyard after dusk.

Here's what an 11 year old (or younger) should look like defending the homestead

Last edited by everlast; 06-02-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Dial 911

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Dial 911
    Glad someone brought this up. How many still have landlines? I don't. Growing up one of the first things I can remember being taught is my address and to call 911 for help. How many of us only have cell phones with finger print locks or face id? and if you go to the store you know you're taking it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Glad someone brought this up. How many still have landlines? I don't. Growing up one of the first things I can remember being taught is my address and to call 911 for help. How many of us only have cell phones with finger print locks or face id? and if you go to the store you know you're taking it with you.
    I have a landline (mountains + metal roof = bad service). We'll leave my 7 year old at home if we have to run to the store really quick, he knows to call 911 if something were to happen in the 10-15 minutes he is home alone, he also knows how to hit the speed dial for my cell phone. My 7 year old has shot guns before ... I have no desire for him to get a gun and by himself and use it at this point in his life, he isn't ready for anything remotely close to defending himself/family with a weapon.