Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Nailer

Default Framing Nailer

Talk to me...15*, 21*, 30*....

For piddling...nothing to hard core. Will build a shed with it and then used from other little odds and ends. Don't think I want to go with 15*...don't need a coil gun. What's the big difference in 21* and 30*?

I could by pneumatic but giving a hard look at the Dewalt 20v Max cordless. Does anyone have experience with these? Again, not looking to build a house but something portable that'll get the job done. I have many 20V dewalt tool so this would fit right in. They seem to have good reviews for what they are.

I have battery powered Milwaukee finish guns, fine in a pinch but not something I’d do any serious work with. Same with a Palode Gas/Battery gun. Reliable get a Hitachi/Metabo or Grip Rite. Or for cheap one of those Porter Cable ones work pretty good. Paslode stick guns are 30, the collation is paper, nails get wet or linked you get feed issues. The 21 with plastic collation is more reliable but guns tend to be bigger and bulkier. A battery powered framing nailer to me would be worthless unless.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    A battery powered framing nailer to me would be worthless unless.
    Thanks Mark. What did you mean by the above, "would be worthless unless". Unless what?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Thanks Mark. What did you mean by the above, "would be worthless unless". Unless what?
    Sorry got sidetracked and posted. Unless I was doing a light repair and wasn’t going to beat it up at all. Framing guns get dropped, knocked around, stepped on, lumber piled/dropped on etc. Durability to me would be a major issue.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Another vote for Hitachi(now Metabo)...make sure you get adjustable depth since this will be your only gun.

Like this------> https://www.nailgundepot.com/metabo-...framing-nailer

I have a paslode 30 battery gas gun. I have built a shed, dog stand, numerous deer stands with it. I love it. I have had zero problems with it and my battery last all day pretty much. I have two just in case. For me it’s the better option because I don’t have to worry about air and electricity.

Following. I got the metabo finish gun pneumatic. Works great. But I'm wanting a framing nailer too. Home DIY projects. So would the plastic be better than the paper nails?

I have 2 of those, one is 18 years old.

I use to hate the plastic collated but leave a $60-$70 box of paper collated nails in the rain you start to like them a lot more.

The ease of battery for what I’ll be doing is so tempting. They have good reviews. When I did do this for a living in a different life I had a passload. It was easy but I hated having l a battery and gas. And the gas just got pricey. I’m thinking same convenience without the gas would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I use to hate the plastic collated but leave a $60-$70 box of paper collated nails in the rain you start to like them a lot more.
    I’m not saying it would never happen but I think would take the chance on 21* paper collated to have the smaller frame gun.

Think nicknack projects only once the shed is built. And the shed is only 12x16 so it’s basically a nicknack project itself.

I have a wide variety of air guns, for what you want- try the cordless, let us know how it does.
    If I'm doing low quantity fastening- I use a cordless impact and T25 screws

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I have a wide variety of air guns, for what you want- try the cordless, let us know how it does.
    If I'm doing low quantity fastening- I use a cordless impact and T25 screws
    Ah...yes T25 deck screws. Thought about that as well for the shed but that’s a lot of screwing. Went through 25 lbs the last two weekends rebuilding our dock and deck at the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Ah...yes T25 deck screws. Thought about that as well for the shed but that’s a lot of screwing. Went through 25 lbs the last two weekends rebuilding our dock and deck at the cabin.
    They do make a screw gun, it can be used stand up or normal hand operated- that uses strips of the T25- we use 5000/week

Passload
    Go Tigers!!!

I used my battery/gas Paslode last year to build 200' of privacy fence and a deck attached to it that covered half the homeowner's back yard. We use them to build docks on Lake Murray year round. You won't be disappointed. You will have an issue of batteries going bad from sitting long periods of time, more than likely, with the amount of use you're talking, unless you keep them charged intermittently.

I’ve got some Bostich guns and they’re all fine. Hobby work though, not for a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

My HVAC man has the dewalt 20v nailer on his truck, I’ve used it a few times for odds and ends and it seems solid.
    Paslodes work but keep gas and a battery in your tool apron bc you’ll need them quick.

Pretty much every framing crew I use has the one Charlie linked and those boys are rough on them
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    They do make a screw gun, it can be used stand up or normal hand operated- that uses strips of the T25- we use 5000/week
    We used to run makita stand up screw guns for screwing advantech with a builder I worked for in high school/college. They were good guns
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...