Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White guy perspective from Columbia Protests

Default White guy perspective from Columbia Protests

https://www.facebook.com/joseph.redb...30435977404979

A word on what i witnessed today...as all i can tell at this point there is a media blackout so far as i can tell after about 5pm...

I rode my bike around and kept an eye on things best i could as a witness. Though i did not ‘“participate” per se, but,i am in support of the gathering today 100%, full stop.

The protestors today were peaceful. They marched through the streets and circled the statehouse and ended up back on the statehouse grounds chanting “hands up/dont shoot”, “no justice, no peace”, amid many other things. The whole time staying grouped and not causing any damage or stepping out at all. i would say around 5/530 they arrived back at the statehouse grounds. The mass phone warning of a “new” curfew (before the stated 6pm time) went out, and wishing a few minutes of that, with no provocation I REPEAT, THE PROTESTORS WERE PEACEFUL officers fired teargas and shock bombs into the crowd in an effort to disperse. Followed by a wagon train of buses of riot police from main st. Protestors were not told how to exit. They were scattered and then CHASED in as many different directions as they could. They were blocked on two sides as Gervais was blocked off at assembly and Sumter.

I rode around making sure there was no one in need as i knew where some aid for any injuries from gas or non lethal weapons was located. As i circled back coming up main st, the riot gear clad line was across gervais, and then from lady street about 3-4 police vehicles spun into assembly and started to grab random people trying to walk out of the area. These people were young, they were scared, and had nowhere to go. I personally witnessed a large white male officer literally grab a young black girl and grow her to the ground. She made it up and started to run and he took off after her. To no avail she was grabbed and zip tied.

Police were chasing people at random across the parking lot at the corner of assembly and gervais. Throwing them to the ground and zip tying them.

I got on the bike west down gervais trying to get my cameras it of my handlebar bag when i was flanked by a CPD SUV who pulled into the parking lot behind the old train depot and began a foot pursuit of two random people who were tackled and cuffed. These people were also running with no place to go and they had done nothing wrong. No property damage. Nothing.

As i was crossing the road an officer sped across ******* toward the Starbucks and blocked a vehicle exiting ******* street attempting to leave and drew his weapon on the passenger and ordered them out.
    THAT is when i knew that these police are completely out on control. It was random. It was frightening for anyone at the receiving end.

The only reason i do not think i was bothered is the following:
    I had a dingy yellow vest on that i wear when on the bike sometimes
    I had a camera around my chest

And most importantly;....surprise, I’m a white male.

Every single person i saw chased down today was not white.

Every single police officer was.

Today is a shameful day for columbia South Carolina. Not surprisingly its a shame on the law enforcement of the area as well.

If I saw you today, and you saw me, please message me that you are alright.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Allow me to be the first to call bullshit on that
    I saw more than that from my iPad
    Last edited by Kwacker2; 06-01-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Durt McGurt was ODB. RIP.. Wu Tang forever.

The protests aren’t without merit. Police have been out control for a long time. You can watch YouTube videos of police violating people’s rights for weeks on end if you so choose. I don’t believe that race shit either, I think all races, ages, and sexes have been subjected. Some groups just better fit the narrative and thus make the news. I think the issue is that no one knows what reform actually looks like. At least I don’t. Destruction of property is horse shit though, and does nothing but take away from the message. I don’t know if the post is accurate, but if so, enacting a curfew and dispersing a peaceful gathering should only further the resolve. The right to assemble is good ol No. 1 for a reason.

I had a good friend from high school downtown Charleston Saturday afternoon with her family and they got spit on and chased by the thugs throwing bottles at them just because they were white. They had small children with them also. A bunch of scumbags if you ask me. I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater but there's a lot of bad people running around with these "protest".

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I had a good friend from high school downtown Charleston Saturday afternoon with her family and they got spit on and chased by the thugs throwing bottles at them just because they were white. They had small children with them also. A bunch of scumbags if you ask me. I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater but there's a lot of bad people running around with these "protest".
    Damn right there. A lot good cops out there too.

I hate to hear it, especially with kids involved. Wish they would have gotten fed some lead. There are people on both sides that the world would be better of without.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

My buddy and his son were there taking pictures and videos. At exactly 4:01 my buddy went live and it shows a bunch of rioters smashing the windows of what looks to be a police SUV. His son took pictures and I can tell you its heartbreaking to see the destruction that was caused. A friend of mine told me a group of rioters smashed the windows at the Blue Marlin.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...45138?sfnsn=mo

So let me get this straight, your friend was in downtown Charleston Saturday afternoon with small kids and no side arm?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Unreal. That will NOT go on much longer.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

While I imagine people of all colors get harassed by LEOs, I imagine the experience of African Americans (as a whole) is different than whites. Call me naive if you want to. I'm just trying to be practical. I haven't walked in a black man's shoes, but I would think that he would have a difference feeling of injustice than I related to America law enforcement. I, like the majority of you, respect the right to protest, while I reject the choice to riot, destroy property, and loot.
    Carolina Counsel

Did you really buy into that story?

Geeze.

Sucker punch, none the less. You can't rationalize with a mob.

i was out in charleston saturday for the girlfriends birthday dinner. we ate at stars and then went to ac's on king street afterwards.

about 9 we got run out of ac's by the bartender after announcing that rioters were coming up the street and breaking out storefronts. we went out the back door and managed to find an open hotel room on calhoun street, across from mother emmanual church.

we walked through rioters and police on the way to the hotel, with rioters mouthing at us the entire time. by the time we made it to calhoun the police had been deployed and the tear gas was everywhere. first time i've ever experienced tear gas.

the gas station across the street from the hotel was broken into and looted. a black guy had a knife and another black guy knocked it out of his hands and threw it in the bushes away from him. 10 year old kids were in the parking lot stealing water bottles and throwing them at the police.

hindsight i guess i should've known better than to go out in charleston, but i've never seen anything like that in south carolina before. usually the bigger west coast and northern cities are the ones that riot.

2020 fucking sucks.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    While I imagine people of all colors get harassed by LEOs, I imagine the experience of African Americans (as a whole) is different than whites. Call me naive if you want to. I'm just trying to be practical. I haven't walked in a black man's shoes, but I would think that he would have a difference feeling of injustice than I related to America law enforcement. I, like the majority of you, respect the right to protest, while I reject the choice to riot, destroy property, and loot.
    I don't know what it's like to walk in theirs no more than they do mine. We all have our own pile of manure to shovel. Identity politics, group think and mob mentality certainly won't solve it. I hear all the time "There's good cops, good whites, good blacks etc and the bad ones make it hard on the good ones yadda yadda yadda."

No kidding. It's why group/identity politics is wrong and why those in power know how well it works to cause division among the populace. The INDIVIDUAL is the largest minority in this country. If the time ever comes when people are judged not by the groups they associate with but by THEIR individual character and behavior, all this will end. Until then expect more of the same.

I will continue to choose to not participate in any of it. I'm white, male, Christian, a hunter, a father, a husband, a business owner, a boss, a friend, a teacher, a student, a son, a brother and a pretty good beat boxer. But I don't want anyone else who are also all of those things defining me. I define me. Period. And when I see other people I see them as individuals, not part of any one group. It's too much to keep up with otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I don't know what it's like to walk in theirs no more than they do mine. We all have our own pile of manure to shovel. Identity politics, group think and mob mentality certainly won't solve it. I hear all the time "There's good cops, good whites, good blacks etc and the bad ones make it hard on the good ones yadda yadda yadda."

No kidding. It's why group/identity politics is wrong and why those in power know how well it works to cause division among the populace. The INDIVIDUAL is the largest minority in this country. If the time ever comes when people are judged not by the groups they associate with but by THEIR individual character and behavior, all this will end. Until then expect more of the same.

I will continue to choose to not participate in any of it. I'm white, male, Christian, a hunter, a father, a husband, a business owner, a boss, a friend, a teacher, a student, a son, a brother and a pretty good beat boxer. But I don't want anyone else who are also all of those things defining me. I define me. Period. And when I see other people I see them as individuals, not part of any one group. It's too much to keep up with otherwise.
    My man
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

Bravo, sir, Bravo!
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    So let me get this straight, your friend was in downtown Charleston Saturday afternoon with small kids and no side arm?
    This was a chick. Hell, I didn't even know they were supposed to be "protesting" down there. They are probably democrats too.

Democrats really hate Ronald Reagan for some reason.

94a33da1460c9a814470e2eb2deb2a2e.jpg