View Poll Results: What would you take as a daily bag limit option?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6 Bird Daily Bag with internal limits on species like only 1 pintail etc.

24 52.17%
  • 3 of anything Daily Bag limit

22 47.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfowl limits poll

Default Waterfowl limits poll

This is not even an option right now but there is growing talk of allowing waterfowl hunters, at the beginning of the season, to choose one of two different license options. The first would be the usual 6-bird limit with the internal limits like 2 canvasbacks, 1 pintail, 2 black ducks, 2 mallard, etc as part of the 6-bird limit. The new option allows the license holder to kill three of anything with a 3-bird daily limit. The, of course, intended purpose is to allow folks that aren't waterfowl identification experts an alternative when they can still enjoy a morning in the field without the worry of shooting a wrong duck.

A younger Rubberhead would, without a doubt, take the 6-birds with internal limits option but I seldom "limit hunt" anymore and often stop short of a limit even when I am in the presence of a lot of birds. I might be tempted to take the three-of-anything option just to try for the three pintail or three black photo.

Any three-of-anything takers on SCDUCKS?
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 05-31-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The real answer is "As many as I and the resource can tote".

And I took the 3 because it is about all the wild bird resource in SC can handle right now...

I agree with the however many the resource can support sentiment. In a perfect world though, I would like both options. I don’t think it has to be one or the other. Maybe one day you decide to go for the 3 pintails like you said, but then the next you want a mixed bag. My days afield are much fewer than they used to be and I may only be able hunt 3 times in a season. I’d like to be able to take 6 ducks if the opportunity presented itself and vice versa if it’s slow and the only thing around are pintails or cans then I can take 3. I’m not sure whether both options would stress the duck numbers more or not, but if it turns out that’s the case then I’d be good with just the 3. That’s usually all it is anyways when I hit the summer duck holes.
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-31-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Depends on the state.
    Low country redneck who moved north

True. Or the country. I have no problem shooting 8 in Canada or more in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Depends on the state.
    Good point - I think this is being consider for the upper mid-continent states and is not, to my knowledge, an active consideration for the coastal states or southern states. My question was hypothetical but assumed for South Carolina. I would imagine that, if allowed, it would be managed by state so a hunter might take the 6-bird option in one state and the 3-bird option in another but only one option per season.

I agree with JABIII about the 3-bird option being a good way to reduce the overall pressure on the resource. I remember how quick the mornings were when the limit was only three.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I like the three. There have been many a times up this way shooting divers that being able to take an additional bird would have been nice. Especially since (in our experience) they seem to come through by species. Tough to be in SC and all you are seeing that day is big wads of Redheads or blue bills. I know it’s only one bird more but it would be nice.
    Formerly DM88

6 and I have no problem with duck ID
    80-20 Genaration

Maybe a better idea would be to make anyone purchasing a duck stamp pass a duck (in flight) id test. That would be a deal breaker for many, even if it was open book....

Killing 3 Cans or 3 Bull Sprigs doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Give me 6 and I'll ID them or won't shoot them.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

In the state of SC I would take a 3 of anything limit. Other states with more ducks, I'd stick with the 6 bird limit.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    True. Or the country. I have no problem shooting 8 in Canada or more in Mexico.
    This.. yes or 80... depending on what country
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Maybe a better idea would be to make anyone purchasing a duck stamp pass a duck (in flight) id test. That would be a deal breaker for many, even if it was open book....
    West coast has a test for license, you have to pick out duskies etc etc.

I would love to see it here. Might limit the amount of river runners if they cant pass the test.
    Last edited by scdiver; 05-31-2020 at 07:46 PM.

I agree, 3 of anything could be detrimental to a given species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Yep, I think this is a problem myself. Our limits are conservative and then they get to Mexico and get murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

After further consideration of this idea, I dont think it's a good plan to implement (federally). I could see it being particularly bad for the ducks that dont migrate north , like the Mottled duck and Fulvous. If you implemented a rule like that, I could see the Fulvous and Mottleds suddenly becoming damn near extinct.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Do 3 Black Ducks even make it to SC anymore ??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    West coast has a test for license, you have to pick out duskies etc etc.

I would love to see it here. Might limit the amount of river runners if they cant pass the test.
    Which state is that in? Oregon? I know California doesn’t do it.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

SC already has a 3 bird limit....folks smash the wood ducks and call it a "limit". I think this has been detrimental to our wood ducks and I've seen a severe decline in successful nesting attempts this Spring as well.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill