Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW and riots

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    It IS for most in here B.B. and Salty. But yesterday I left at dark to go to NC to trout fish. I returned through downtown Greenville mid day on the way home. Protestors chanting and holding signs on all corners at light I got stopped at on Main St. with ALL the people that intersection was tight and not a policeman in sight, thta I could see. And I was NOT happy at all to be there. My head was on a swivel and windows up. But I had no idea a demonstration was planned yesterday. I drove on through on the green. But that could have turned to a shit show for me in an instant and I wasn’t looking for trouble, just trying to drive home.
    Completely understandable, brother. My comment was aimed moreso at the the sheep who venture out to their favorite restaurant/bar/whatever knowing full well what's going on, who are then "surprised" when they get attacked or worse.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 05-31-2020 at 01:21 PM.

It IS for most in here B.B. and Salty. But yesterday I left at dark to go to NC to trout fish. I returned through downtown Greenville mid day on the way home. Protestors chanting and holding signs on all corners at light I got stopped at on Main St. with ALL the people that intersection was tight and not a policeman in sight, thta I could see. And I was NOT happy at all to be there. My head was on a swivel and windows up. But I had no idea a demonstration was planned yesterday. I drove on through on the green. But that could have turned to a shit show for me in an instant and I wasn’t looking for trouble, just trying to drive home.
    And that is a completely understandable situation. A lot different than going downtown to dine with foresight that there’s civil unrest in the area but saying I got a carry permit, I’ll clean up the mean streets and try to hide behind the Castle Doctrine. I read some posts and wonder if they’re wanna be John Wicks or Jack Reacher or similar. Discharge a firearm into someone in this situation you best have an ironclad and clearly defined recorded reason for doing so. Especially if that person is a different race or your ass will be tried for a hate crime.

Best thing to do is live life and use common sense, maybe we’ll get lucky and the idiot factions will weed each other out.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have over a hundred rounds; hope to never have to use a single one.

On a side note, tomorrow is my 1st time back to work in 10 weeks; hope the Vista is business as usual...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

How was the fishing???

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You are correct, however, if you go into an area where you know that these protests/looting/rioting are taking place for a "dinner" or to "shop" carrying a gun and pull it out and shoot someone, then a prosecutor is going to have a field day with your ass. Now, if you are driving into your neighborhood or in an area and are spontaneously attacked through no fault of your own, the CD would apply. The best thing to do is avoid all of these areas unless you have express need to be in one such as a medical worker, LEO, Firefighter, Paramedic etc. In short if you go looking for trouble, you're going to find it and it might be more than you bargained for long term. Watch your back and protect yourself for sure but until you're called up for active duty in these areas, just stay away.

I agree with this and no way I would intentionally put myself/family in this situation

Thinking more of on regular “routine of life” and some how this pops up

And NO I do not wear/own a MAGA hat or have DJT bumper stickers on anything I own, I keep to myself/wife and close friends on my thoughts on politics Other than that I stay away from political debates. Everyone has their own opinion for their reasons
    Last edited by tprice; 06-01-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Essentially, if you can reasonably articulate that you have reason to fear death or great bodily injury to yourself or others, you can defend yourself using deadly force. The other two requirements are (a) you have a right to be there and (b) you are not doing anything to bring this on yourself. Your car is covered by Castle Doctrine.

I hate threads like this because, as mentioned, if anybody in it actually has to use deadly force in a similar situation, you can bet this will be dug up and maybe used against them in court to show possible "state of mind". Avoid places where this sort of interaction with those that would cause you harm are gathering. Even if you meet the above criteria, a crucifixion at the hand of a skilled prosecutor with an agenda may be enough to get a jury to not see things your way. The juice is not worth the squeeze.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

So, is one's right to pursue one's right to life , liberty and freedom superseded by the attempt of someone to deprive you of it ?? And if so, does that remove the right to defend one's self if threatened?
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Essentially, if you can reasonably articulate that you have reason to fear death or great bodily injury to yourself or others, you can defend yourself using deadly force. The other two requirements are (a) you have a right to be there and (b) you are not doing anything to bring this on yourself. Your car is covered by Castle Doctrine.

I hate threads like this because, as mentioned, if anybody in it actually has to use deadly force in a similar situation, you can bet this will be dug up and maybe used against them in court to show possible "state of mind". Avoid places where this sort of interaction with those that would cause you harm are gathering. Even if you meet the above criteria, a crucifixion at the hand of a skilled prosecutor with an agenda may be enough to get a jury to not see things your way. The juice is not worth the squeeze.
    I agree with you completely.

But a slimy enough plaintiff's attorney could try to paint the simple fact that you HAVE a CWP as intent.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Completely understandable, brother. My comment was aimed moreso at the the sheep who venture out to their favorite restaurant/bar/whatever knowing full well what's going on, who are then "surprised" when they get attacked or worse.
    I agree in part but when we change our lives and live in fear and change our actions the domestic terrorist win. Antifa should be no part of anyone's dining choices for the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    I agree with you completely.

But a slimy enough plaintiff's attorney could try to paint the simple fact that you HAVE a CWP as intent.
    I would respond that I have homeowners insurance but that doesn’t mean I intend for my house to burn down, auto insurance, but don’t intend to be in a wreck, etc, etc, etc.

I just found myself in this exact type of situation Sat PM. I don't do social media and I don't live my life in front of the TV watching news. I just live my life as I have done so for better part of the last 50 years. My experience on Sat isn't going to change that either. I tell my wife, who is younger than I, that social media WILL be the downfall of our great society. It gives the mice of this world, who otherwise would still be holed up in their momma's basement, a voice and platform to congregate. It gives folks a chance to be heard by millions who would otherwise piss themselves at the thought of speaking in front of a group of 10.

Only thing this has changed for me is I now have more "options" at my disposal. My entire family also understands that the ONLY words out of any of our mouths in the unfortunate event we have to act upon a situation is "I was scared for my life"....nothing less, nothing more.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-02-2020 at 07:48 AM.

I’ve been wondering about this all day today. On June 8, my family and I will be heading to SC for the rest of the month to work on our Columbia house to get it ready to put on market the first of July. We don’t have the luxury of getting others to get the house right; we have to make the trek. There is just no practical way to get there from here without going through or around several large cities that have protests going on. I will add 2 hours to our trip to avoid going anywhere near St Louis, MO, but I will be hauling an empty trailer, and I can not just throw my truck in reverse and haul ass backward on a dime should we run into a bunch of rioters who block and shut down the Highway or interstate I’m on. No premeditation at all by discussing this...I have no desire whatsoever to have any conflict with anyone in my ride to SC. That said, I see that there are plenty of places in many states where the government is allowing this to happen night after night, therefore I will be locked and loaded as I am legally allowed to be with plenty of ammo to protect my wife, children, and myself should I find myself being stopped and attacked while on the road. Wheel gun, side-arm, and mini-14 with enough loaded clips to fight myself out of any violent situation I unwillingly find myself in. I will never fail to attemp retreat from any threat, but if there is no way of retreat and people are aggressively approaching my family, I will defend them until I can get away or until they kill me.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I wouldn’t worry about loading those clips. Just load some magazines and you should be good. Probably 6 would work.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I just found myself in this exact type of situation Sat PM. I don't do social media and I don't live my life in front of the TV watching news. I just live my life as I have done so for better part of the last 50 years. My experience on Sat isn't going to change that either. I tell my wife, who is younger than I, that social media WILL be the downfall of our great society. It gives the mice of this world, who otherwise would still be holed up in their momma's basement, a voice and platform to congregate. It gives folks a chance to be heard by millions who would otherwise piss themselves at the thought of speaking in front of a group of 10.

Only thing this has changed for me is I now have more "options" at my disposal. My entire family also understands that the ONLY words out of any of our mouths in the unfortunate event we have to act upon a situation is "I was scared for my life"....nothing less, nothing more.
    That is exactly right. You can tell them you thought that you and your family might be killed and that’s it. Tell them you are not talking any further without an attorney. The cops are not trying to help you in any way although they will be saying they are. They are trying to obtain information from you that they can build their case against you on. Never ever ever speak to police officers. You are under no obligation to do so. It will never help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about loading those clips. Just load some magazines and you should be good. Probably 6 would work.
    School me...is “clips” the wrong terminology? Always called them clips...

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Good to know. Always thought detachable magazines were also called “clips” for short/slang. I’ll definitely be loading the magazines.