Thread: Hellhole race

Default Hellhole race

Did the 16.3 mile day race at hellhole yesterday. It was a unique experience to say the least. I do a little bit of trail and off road running but this was a bit crazy. The last 4 miles or so were terrible with large portions of ankle/shin deep water and mud. I really wanted to quit and walk near the end but 2nd place kept gaining on me. Finished right around 2:01:07 according to Strava, 7:18 average pace. Was hoping to break 2 hours but the conditions were too tough to hold the pace near the end. Had a few splits under 7:00 where it was more easy going. 2nd place was only a minute or less behind me, dude made me earn that win...

What was the route you ran? Mainly on the Palmetto trail? Great job

Thanks. It was mostly on the Jericho horse trail, with about 3-4 miles of rock road added near the middle. The horse trail is about an 18 mile loop but they cut out some of it for the 16 mile race. Lucky for me, cause a lot of the 18 mile section was super flooded.

Congrats

Great day. That’s trucking it. Good job.

Did you see any hogs?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Did you see any hogs?
    I didnt see any wildlife except for a couple birds. Heard there were quite a few snakes out the night before. With 2 hours of an average heart rate of 184 bpm, you tend to not notice things though.

184 bpm!!! I'd have dropped dead long before my heart reached that high! LOL
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You Averaged 184 for 2 hours? Damn. What’s your age and send me whatever it is you’re eating
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    You Averaged 184 for 2 hours? Damn. What’s your age and send me whatever it is you’re eating
    My watch probably isn't 100% accurate on HR, but I did feel like I was going to die. I'm 41 years old. My max during that race was supposedly 198. Never seen it that high before but have seen low 190's before. Screenshot_20200609-125844_Connect.jpg

Congrats, that is solid.

That's stupid fast. Congrats!

Thats putting them down for sure! When I hit the 160 bpm arena, seismic monitors start pegging.
    Genesis 9;2

I read this post a few weeks ago, and had to re read it multiple times to see that you kept a 7:18 pace for 16+ miles on a trail. I finally got an open gym today, so I ran 6 miles at a 6:58 pace ON A DAMN TREADMILL. I'm 41, and while I have been in better shape before, I'm not bad right now. I'm also 6'4", so distance running isn't that hard for me with these long ass legs. You, sir, are a damn beast. Just remarkable. And my heart rate got into the low 190's.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I read this post a few weeks ago, and had to re read it multiple times to see that you kept a 7:18 pace for 16+ miles on a trail. I finally got an open gym today, so I ran 6 miles at a 6:58 pace ON A DAMN TREADMILL. I'm 41, and while I have been in better shape before, I'm not bad right now. I'm also 6'4", so distance running isn't that hard for me with these long ass legs. You, sir, are a damn beast. Just remarkable. And my heart rate got into the low 190's.
    Appreciate it. Big dudes moving as quick as yourself is more impressive than my scrawny 5'8" 131lbs... I've been basically marathon training the past few months. Averaging 50-60 miles with one or two workouts per week, peaked around 70 mpw. Backed off to recover after this race, ran a 5k in Goose Creek 2 weeks ago. The Hot Pursuit 5k. Ran 19:02(?) But was actually around 3.21 miles long. Actual pace was 5:55-5:57 so should've been in the 18:30's.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp fox View Post
    Appreciate it. Big dudes moving as quick as yourself is more impressive than my scrawny 5'8" 131lbs... I've been basically marathon training the past few months. Averaging 50-60 miles with one or two workouts per week, peaked around 70 mpw. Backed off to recover after this race, ran a 5k in Goose Creek 2 weeks ago. The Hot Pursuit 5k. Ran 19:02(?) But was actually around 3.21 miles long. Actual pace was 5:55-5:57 so should've been in the 18:30's.
    You can move Ol Boy. Those are just some insane paces. It does help my ego that I weigh 90 more lbs than you. A 6 min pace is flat stretched out. I bet them little bitty legs are moving
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands