Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center Console Boats

Default Center Console Boats

In the market for my first center console, boat would be used both at the lake and nearshore, mostly for leisure with the family. Somebody educate me, what features are a must, what should I avoid. My budget is 25-40k. Not looking for a new boat, just my best value in that price point.

Tons of options, biggest question is what’s its main purpose, riding or fishing

Tons of options in the 20-23’ range. Forward seating or open bow? Deep V or a bay/hybrid style.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Tons of options, biggest question is what’s its main purpose, riding or fishing
    Main purpose would be riding.

Trim tabs- 4 stroke- wood free construction-round or oval livewell- T top, max HP for the hull, good trailer that fits the boat and is not overloaded...…. the more fancy crap you get- the more it costs- the more it breaks. Some people love a raw water washdown- costs many hundreds, plumbing and electrical to maintain, notorious for breaking- I chose a 5 gallon bucket every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Tons of options in the 20-23’ range. Forward seating or open bow? Deep V or a bay/hybrid style.
    Would like to have seating, as we'll probably have 6 in the boat the majority of the time. I was leaning towards deep V, but i'm open minded to some type of hybrid style.

A well cared for Pioneer 20' would be a good starting point

If riding was my main goal I wouldn’t be looking at a center consul I would look at a dual console. Your budget should be able to get you into a pretty nice boat but know that boats are high right now. Have been for a year or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    A well cared for Pioneer 20' would be a good starting point
    20’ CC gets small quick with 6 on board. Heck a 22’ gets small quick. Though a 222sf or Islander would be a good all around boat. We put my 222sf through stuff it shouldn’t have been in. Sea Hunt, KW or Sportsman would also be good options.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    If riding was my main goal I wouldn’t be looking at a center consul I would look at a dual console. Your budget should be able to get you into a pretty nice boat but know that boats are high right now. Have been for a year or 2.

Riding center console = Sea Hunt Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Riding center console = Sea Hunt Ultra
    Just looked that up, seems like that would be a good fit. Thanks

This is a very very open question. You are bound to get a lot of what other people like more so than what is tailored to you.
    Bad habit did talk about some great build quality characteristics to look for.

How many people do you plan on carrying? What activities other than riding do you plan to partake in? What is your previous boating experience.

Get a pontoon instead. My family absolutely loves ours. I just can’t see how a CC could come close to the comfort that a pontoon offers, but I’m old and not fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    This is a very very open question. You are bound to get a lot of what other people like more so than what is tailored to you.
    Bad habit did talk about some great build quality characteristics to look for.

How many people do you plan on carrying? What activities other than riding do you plan to partake in? What is your previous boating experience.
    Riding and fishing. There will be 6 of us most days. I’ve grown up with a lake house, extensive time on fresh water (Jon boat, glitter boats, ski boat, etc)

No experience in the salt water. My in-laws just bought a place in Surfside, so I’ll be learning the ropes there.

Coastal waters and a good time requires no less than a Deep V!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Just looked that up, seems like that would be a good fit. Thanks
    I picked up a 2017 234 Ultra back in March. We're out in it most weekends when we're not working. I think it's a great compromise boat for a family. I wanted a cabin boat but the missus vetoed it for the Ultra.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Do not go with a dual console for coastal/nearshore applications. Sitting down to drive when it gets rough is for the birds....

Don’t overlook an older well made boat for a newer mass production model..... I’d much rather take a 01 Grady than a 17 sea fox
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    In the market for my first center console, boat would be used both at the lake and nearshore, mostly for leisure with the family. Somebody educate me, what features are a must, what should I avoid. My budget is 25-40k. Not looking for a new boat, just my best value in that price point.
    Take a raincoat for you and your wife and kids. I have owned 2 CC. My first and my last.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"