Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transducer on fiberglass transom

Default Transducer on fiberglass transom

I have been searching new gps units and have decided they I need to get a new unit. I haven’t decided which one but I need to prep the transom. You’ll see my picture of my current transducer, which is how it was when I bought it. Not my doing!
    Two part question here :

1. Based on the picture, I assume I can unscrew the screws , mix some resin to fill in the holes, then repaint with the same paint I had on there. Correct? Should I lay any fiberglass down or just resin?

2. How do I mount the new transducer? I’ve seen some here say to screw in to the transom, some have used a block to glue against the transom and then screw the transducer into the block. Whey is best practice here?

4D02F3F9-1AB1-494B-9B54-6E2323331CA1.jpg

Fiberglass, filler, and resin.

Based on the mount, I would be interested to see inside the holes.

Wow! I have seen some rigged up shit in my life, but that takes the cake.

Have you thought about just doing a through hull?

Fill with resin.
    New holes drill, chamfer, and screw
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I figured y’all would get a kick out of that!

Griffin, what do you mean by chamfer?

Pull all that shit off. Make sure there’s no water in the transom, if there is get it dry first. Inject the area and all voids full of epoxy and let cure. Force air in if there’s water present to try and get it out. They make epoxies that will expand and heat up getting in all the tiny cracks. Once cured, sand, prime, fare and paint. You can set the new TD bracket back in the fiberglass and use 4200 if you’re set on a marine caulk, an alternate is NP-1, that shit is just as good and probably better. Through hull is better though but more expensive.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I figured y’all would get a kick out of that!

Griffin, what do you mean by chamfer?
    Chamfer is like a very slight countersink. If you don’t do this to gel cost or fiberglass it will spiderweb crack. Doesn’t structurally effect anything but it’s ugly.
    What make an model boat is it?
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

From the quality craftsmanship of the original install I doubt sealant was used and would bet on water intrusion.

When you pull those screws out drill the hole out slightly larger to allow the epoxy a better bite and check the shavings for rot/moisture. Definitely use an epoxy based product here, not poly.

Another option from those listed above is to remove the screws, find a dowel sized similar to the hole, soak it in epoxy, and hammer it into the hole. Then dish out the surface slightly and fair with thickened epoxy. I would lean to this method here as with a vertical surface it is going to be hard to get the epoxy to inject in without any air void. Also I like the plug method on anything below the water line especially since those screws go into the transom core.

Use what Jay posted unless you want to make your own.

I bought a 12"x12" sheet of starboard on Amazon and made my own. Now have the rest of the sheet to mount other stuff as needed.
    edit- cut the bottom angle to match deadrise of hull, ~6 degrees for my high tide
    IMG_20200409_071415842.jpg
    Last edited by BET; 04-09-2020 at 06:18 AM.

BET that is a slick idea! You don’t happen to have any scrap laying around you want to part with for a few bucks?

I like the dowel idea. Y’all showed me that with the larger holes I had on the bow, I’m just not sure these are even big enough. The putty might be the trick since it’s vertical and will slide down. I’ll take the screws out today and we will see what it looks like .

This is what I ordered, I'm planning on saving the rest to mount my bilge pump and float switch to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Oh nice! Thanks. Will 4200 be enough to hold to the transom?

When you take out the screws if water comes out let it drain and dry before you put anything in. Go to West Marine or get online to Jamestown Distributors and order the injectable epoxy. You can fill and strengthen the holes and area around them. The Marine Tex putty isn’t worth a shit in that situation. No need to put a block on to mount to but if you do and are relying on 4200 to hold, get a couple of transducers, 4200 is a sealant.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I don't feel comfortable with just an adhesive, I will drill the holes for my mounting screws over-sized and then back fill with thickened epoxy or a plastic sleeve

Screws were only about an inch long and there was no sign of water at all. I’ll try to find a dowel but it looks quite narrow hole so I think I can mix up some thick paste and use a syringe to get it all in there ?

4E48905A-7E16-4B29-ACC1-594ADD0566E3.jpg

you should drill the holes out a smidge larger to get all that crap out of there and give the epoxy something solid to bond to

scrap starboard is usually available cheap at any commercial restaurant supply place

I took a drill bit to it like BET said and I pulled out a little damp wood. Although, no water came out when I took the screw out. This was just a little dark and damp. I’m assuming that the transom has water in it now? Is there anything else I need to do first ?
    image.jpg