Thread: Gator Tail vs Excel Hulls

Default Gator Tail vs Excel Hulls

I am looking at getting a 17-18' CC mud rig for some of the bigger water/longer runs out here.

I'm torn between a mud buddy/excel setup or a gator tail package- MB is based out of SLC but I hear the excel hulls aren't the best in variable conditions.

Anybody have experience with either hulls for use outside of the timber? Thanks in advance.

Since you are asking for opinions, I have owned two Mudbuddy’s and two ProDrive rigs. Hands down I would choose the ProDrive again and again. Now to be fair, my Mudbuddy’s were all the belt drive. The constant tensioning and waterproofing the drive was exhausting. Some of the newer outdrives are different bu the ProDrive eliminates all of that. Their boats are bulletproof I have the 18x48 and it is all I need for short timber rides and long bay runs. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Why choose a mud rig for big water and long runs?

Because it is a long run in 12” or less water with hellacious mud underneath
    cut\'em

A true mud boat is the only way for max potential in the mud. Deep water the excel would be better.

Gtr or prodrive would be my choice, I would never buy a mud buddy unless their customer service has really turned around.

Excel is really heavy and pricey, gatortail has zero flotation. It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges depending on what you are running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

I looked at the excel and didn’t like the layouts offered. I ended up ordering a Gator Trax And designing the layout that I wanted.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

You look at the prodigy boats?

I personally think Uncle J builds the best boats on the market, but that's just my opinion. When I bought mine there was a pretty big price difference as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Do they even have mud out there? Or is it really just teeny rocks? And in other places like slushy kosher salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Do they even have mud out there? Or is it really just teeny rocks? And in other places like slushy kosher salt?
    There was one or two times I thought “I hope murraywader ate his Wheaties and has a bump of speed in his pocket so he can drag my ass outta here cause I am losing to this mud”
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We've got it all, hard bottom, pluff like mud, quicksand, rocks, salt bottom etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Since you are asking for opinions, I have owned two Mudbuddy’s and two ProDrive rigs. Hands down I would choose the ProDrive again and again. Now to be fair, my Mudbuddy’s were all the belt drive. The constant tensioning and waterproofing the drive was exhausting. Some of the newer outdrives are different bu the ProDrive eliminates all of that. Their boats are bulletproof I have the 18x48 and it is all I need for short timber rides and long bay runs. MG
    Thanks for the info! A gator trax with a prodrive would be nice....

Excel offers a PRO series now that takes alot of that unnecessary mess out the boat and I think they eliminated the foam. But for me between those two, Gator-Tail hull all day everyday. They are the fastest stock rigs on the market hands down and will still dig with the rest of them. I'm looking into getting back into a mud rig as well and there's only two choices for me. Either a Gator-Tail rig, or a UncleJ/GTR rig. We are looking at basically the same thing except I'm thinking 1851 with a CC, open floor pan, seat in front of console, and a lean-to for the driver.