Thread: Recommendations on a depth finder

Default Recommendations on a depth finder

Looking to purchase a depth finder. Will be using on a 1546 Triton. Any suggestions on what works for you guys. Been looking at the Lowrance Elite. This will be my first depth finder
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is your budget?

I just went through this one a new boat I just bought. I ended up with the Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS Mega G3N.

I’ve got the Elite TI2 in 12” on my pioneer. It does great and everything I need it to. I have the transducer that does all the imaging as well. While all that down and side imaging is great I don’t think it lived up to my expectations which means I’m probably not using it right. I’ll drive by docks in 10’ of water and would think I’d see pilings and stuff under docks but have yet to see anything. Just looks all the same. Other than that for me it’s great.

what is the purpose of said depth finder?

There are a million threads on this already. And boils down the ford vs chevy debate. I like Humminbird myself, but that's what I've always used. You'll get a lot of Lowrance and Garmin fans here also.

The 7” Lowrance you’re looking at or Hummingbird will be just fine for your Jon boat, or any other larger boat for that matter. Nothing else to say. Just go get one. Make sure you get downscan or equivalent and decide if you want sidescan or not. That’s it.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I’ve got the Elite TI2 in 12” on my pioneer. It does great and everything I need it to. I have the transducer that does all the imaging as well. While all that down and side imaging is great I don’t think it lived up to my expectations which means I’m probably not using it right. I’ll drive by docks in 10’ of water and would think I’d see pilings and stuff under docks but have yet to see anything. Just looks all the same. Other than that for me it’s great.
    Not to hijack the thread, but if you've installed the transducer where its not getting "blocked" from the sides by the motor, etc, its likely a leveling issue. You have to make sure the transducer is sitting level when the the boat is in the water. Do a google search for the "penny trick" and its pretty simple.

Thanks guys
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bought a Garmin 93 sv and it is damn good for the price!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.