Thread: Golf Cart.. Gas or Electric?

Default Golf Cart.. Gas or Electric?

Pro and Cons? Gas vs Electric

A cart for riding around the neighborhood and carrying stuff to the beach and back.

What is the normal life span of cart batteries? 4-5 years?

No club or woods use. I have a Polaris for that.
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 05-28-2020 at 08:20 AM.

I'm always in favor of gas. I feel like electric always let you down

Gas...a little bit of noise. Reliable as a car. Can use more like a UTV if needed.
    Electric, quiet. Will leave you stranded. Souped up electric carts use a lot of juice. If you stay in the go pedal, your batteries will die quickly. If your wife uses, she will undoubtedly forget to charge it and it will be dead when you need it. With gas, fill it up once a month and be done with it.

I'm a huge fan of the internal combustion engine, but on a golf cart its an absolute waste. They stink and they're kinda loud. And if you ever go camping, 99% of campgrounds forbid gas carts.
    A good set of batteries will last about 3-4 years. Spend the $$ up front and get some Trojan batteries. go even crazier and get an onboard charger so you can charge while visiting friends.

I'd say 4-5 on batteries is about right. I prefer electric around the hood due to noise. Hunt club/farm I'd go gas. That said, I run my Ranger around my hood sometimes just to get it started/moving.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Gas...a little bit of noise. Reliable as a car. Can use more like a UTV if needed.
    Electric, quiet. Will leave you stranded. Souped up electric carts use a lot of juice. If you stay in the go pedal, your batteries will die quickly. If your wife uses, she will undoubtedly forget to charge it and it will be dead when you need it. With gas, fill it up once a month and be done with it.
    This
    I like to be able to ride and not set that thing on charger left and right. If make my little half to three quarter mile ride to the beach down there at Edisto and come back for lunch or let the kids naps or ma in law forgot her left hearing or whatever. I can gas up in half a minute.

I just replaced my batteries on the cart we use daily. My old batteries were from 2014.... if you don’t plan on going further than 4-5 miles at a time, electric is fine. The cost difference between gas and electric will allow you to buy 2 or 3 sets of batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Gas. Period.

Trust me.

I'm awesome.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

listen to him
    he's responsible for all the electric carts sucking ass
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

*go handle both and see which one fits you best..

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    *go handle both and see which one fits you best..
    Hes talking about golf carts, not women.

Yamaha EFI carts get over 30mpg. That's roughly 150 miles on a tank of gas that's running about $7.50 right now. The newer models are very quiet and there's very little maintenance required. Good batteries will cost you $600-$800 to replace. That's about 100 gas fill ups or 15,000 miles on a Yamaha.

Ours gets daily use at the beach and I much prefer electric. Quiet, don't have to handle gas cans, don't have to find a non-ethanol station. My wife uses it most taking the dogs for their daily tour and for hauling her water sports stuff back and forth to the beach. She is good about plugging in the charger. It's pretty care free.

Plugging in to a charger really isn't that hard. Keep a charger on the cart with an extension cord, you can charge while you are at your buddie's house. If you breakdown the cost of new batteries over the life span of said batteries (assuming you maintain with water) it's close to the cost of a 6 pack of half decent beer.

I've got no advice, but I absolutely hate the delay when pushing the pedal on a gas cart.

hate is a pretty strong word
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We have an electric one at our house on Oak Island. It does everything we need of it. Owned the house for 19 years and the golf cart has been down there for 12 years. Just put the third set of batteries in it this year since owning it. Use it to haul stuff back and forth to the beach, will cut the block in the evening with the dogs, and still drive it to the grocery store.

The hell with a gas one I would just buy a UTV then. I love my lectric cart!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.