Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GWP puppies

Default GWP puppies

I’m lookin to get a GWP puppy within the next year. Does anyone have recommendations on a good breeder in the southeast? I want get ahead of the game and start interviewing several of them now. I would hunt over the dog approximately 15 times a year, so hunting lineage is important, but it will primarily be a family dog. TIA

I absolutely love my GWP. I wouldn't stick yourself to South East breeders. All the good ones I know are out west. I flew my dog in from South Dakota. Also make sure they're not show dogs, or back yard breeders. Sadly GWPs are becoming a fad. My next one will be a Draht. If you're near the Sumter area let me know, I can let you meet mine and watch him work. They are a handful of a dog, and require way more work than a lab. So be prepared for a squirrel on meth and crack for about 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I have a draht and she is a handful, but when she is in the woods, she is all business. The will be 2 on fathers day so she still has lots of puppy in her
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I have a draht and she is a handful, but when she is in the woods, she is all business. The will be 2 on fathers day so she still has lots of puppy in her
    Their short coated kin ain’t any different. Hell, my almost 2yo girl is calmer than my 7yo girl though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Reece bred with Ripsnorter is where my current GWP is from.

Prize 1, 112pts NAVHDA NA in March.

She can be a bit much and not a dog for everyone, but shes bad to the bone as a pup and I cant wait to see her in a few years

Claddagh puts out some fine dogs too.

I think all three of those require an application to see if the dogs will be a good fit with you.
    Last edited by scdiver; 05-27-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Open up your search to include the pudelpointer. Like said above, gwp's have become a fad. I've done a little research on them (pudelpointers) and have been impressed with the results.

What kind of hunting are you intending to do?

ETA- I have a gwp, she is great with my 19mo old daughter and has been an excellent hunter.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 05-27-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Another good indication of a breeder is if they require a application. Good luck

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Open up your search to include the pudelpointer. Like said above, gwp's have become a fad. I've done a little research on them (pudelpointers) and have been impressed with the results.

What kind of hunting are you intending to do?

ETA- I have a gwp, she is great with my 19mo old daughter and has been an excellent hunter.
    Got a buddy with a PP, great little dog and smart as hell. Just hardheaded, then again so are the GSP and GWP for the most part. My young female GSP is one sensitive little bitch though, if it results in a correction that involves pain, she doesn't do it again. I've had to be careful how I deal with her. I beat her ass one day for running off, took a week before she'd get near me but she hasn't run off since.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have a Braque Francais. Looks like a GSP but smaller. Also suppose to be calmer in the house. Mine is incredibly calm in the house but turns it on in the field. He is tender though. Heavy handed training techniques will likely not work well on most Braques.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 05-27-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Have a female Braque that is 5. This was her year. She showed out the latter part of the season. As C said, they're soft and need direction, not correction.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

I'm picking up a pudelpointer in late June. One male is available from the litter. Shoot me a PM if interested. Willing to transport them both back to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    I have a Braque Francais. Looks like a GSP but smaller. Also suppose to be calmer in the house. Mine is incredibly calm in the house but turns it on in the field. He is tender though. Heavy handed training techniques will likely not work well on most Braques.
    Those are cool little dogs.

Vom mountain creek is where I got my drath from if you choose that direction

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    I'm picking up a pudelpointer in late June. One male is available from the litter. Shoot me a PM if interested. Willing to transport them both back to SC.
    Out of where if you don't mind

I have a 2.5 year old Female Pudelpointer. I have had GSP, Irish setters, Gordon setters, Goldens and labs before. I loved them all and they all served the purpose. I will always be partial to a GSP. With that said, a PP from an alliance breeder is hard to beat for all around. Mine stays inside with us, hunts like crazy, but shuts it off inside. After my last dog, a GSP, passed, my wife said no other dog with our young kids (We have a 5 year old, 3 year old and almost 2 year old). This 2.5 year old PP is the sweetest and most gentle dog with them. In the field, she’s all drive. PM me if you are in the midlands and are interested in taking TennDan up on his offer and want to see one. They aren’t all that easy to come by. We were trying to decide between the PP and Braque but went PP because of their water work. Ours is not near as stubborn as her German cousin we had before,eager to please and easy to train. Full grown at 45lbs. We got her from Stephen Lundy with North Texas PP. Bob Farris connected us with Stephen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Out of where if you don't mind

Colorado. I've spoken to breeders throughout the nation, but predominately out west. This litter best fit my specific objectives. Glad to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboleblanc View Post
    I have a 2.5 year old Female Pudelpointer. I have had GSP, Irish setters, Gordon setters, Goldens and labs before. I loved them all and they all served the purpose. I will always be partial to a GSP. With that said, a PP from an alliance breeder is hard to beat for all around. Mine stays inside with us, hunts like crazy, but shuts it off inside. After my last dog, a GSP, passed, my wife said no other dog with our young kids (We have a 5 year old, 3 year old and almost 2 year old). This 2.5 year old PP is the sweetest and most gentle dog with them. In the field, she’s all drive. PM me if you are in the midlands and are interested in taking TennDan up on his offer and want to see one. They aren’t all that easy to come by. We were trying to decide between the PP and Braque but went PP because of their water work. Ours is not near as stubborn as her German cousin we had before,eager to please and easy to train. Full grown at 45lbs. We got her from Stephen Lundy with North Texas PP. Bob Farris connected us with Stephen.
    Jimbo, I'll shoot you my contact. I pass through the Midlands regularly. Would be interested in meeting you and your pup.

Pm tenndan

Thanks for all of the responses. I need a hypoallergenic breed which is why I was thinking GWP. I had not thought of pudelpointer but will research that some more. Unfortunately it will be next spring before we are out of our condo an into a house so until closer to then I am still shopping.

Vom kiefernbach kennels in Georgia. I have a 5 month on Drahtaar from him. Great dog so far, his drive and natural ability is amazing. But damn is he a Tasmanian devil in the house!
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son