Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GWP puppies

Interesting that some of you think wirehairs are hard headed or harder to train than a Lab. I have had 5 in my life and 4 of them were calm around and in the house and with family but 110% go in the field. The other had a mental problem and I got rid of him. They were the easiest of any dog I have ever trained and believe me, I have had many breeds in my life. I do hunt a lot and was in some great dove clubs at that time, but they were phenomenal dogs and a pleasure to work. One club I was in had 3 well known dog trainers as members and I received comments all the time about how my dogs were better than their dogs. I will have another before long.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Quote Originally Posted by Row vs. Wade View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. I need a hypoallergenic breed which is why I was thinking GWP. I had not thought of pudelpointer but will research that some more. Unfortunately it will be next spring before we are out of our condo an into a house so until closer to then I am still shopping.
    Your timeline is about right to start getting on a list now for the PP's.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Interesting that some of you think wirehairs are hard headed or harder to train than a Lab. I have had 5 in my life and 4 of them were calm around and in the house and with family but 110% go in the field. The other had a mental problem and I got rid of him. They were the easiest of any dog I have ever trained and believe me, I have had many breeds in my life. I do hunt a lot and was in some great dove clubs at that time, but they were phenomenal dogs and a pleasure to work. One club I was in had 3 well known dog trainers as members and I received comments all the time about how my dogs were better than their dogs. I will have another before long.
    I didn't mean as mine was hard to train. I honestly taught him obedience and everything else was natural. He is much different than a lab though. Mine is sharp though. Any dominant dog and he wants to fight. Little dogs he doesn't even bother.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Gotcha. My best one was so easy to train it was weird. It was almost as if he knew what I wanted him to do before I told him. He reacted to many hard and different things as if he had done them before. He was definitely a dog that kept to himself and never bothered other dogs until they got dominate with him. He never started a fight but ended quite a few. He was very protective of my kids and family even though he never growled at anyone. He would simply stay between my kids and any strange people or dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Gotcha. My best one was so easy to train it was weird. It was almost as if he knew what I wanted him to do before I told him. He reacted to many hard and different things as if he had done them before. He was definitely a dog that kept to himself and never bothered other dogs until they got dominate with him. He never started a fight but ended quite a few. He was very protective of my kids and family even though he never growled at anyone. He would simply stay between my kids and any strange people or dogs.
    Mine is the same way, sometimes I doubt him and he always does exactly what I envisioned. Weird how smart they are. I wish he wasn't a dick head to other dogs, but I just don't put him in the situation. I have no doubt he would destroy any body or anything that tried tk harm my wife or kids. This is where he stayed for hours when we brought my daughter home.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Default GWP puppies

I have a 3 month old PP female. I researched the breed for almost two years and settled on three breeders. I ended up getting a puppy from Hardtrigger Gun dogs in Idaho.

So far, I’m very pleased. Annie is very smart and eager to please. She is naturally pointing and retrieving already. She has no reservations about getting in the lake. She stays close to me when I’m the woods and while on walks. If she gets to far out front, she will sit and wait on me to catch up.

My boys are 7 and 8. My plans for the next 10 years is to travel the country with them making a pile of dead fowl and upland game that would make Pbiz blush.

Last edited by britton40; 05-29-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Whitetail Kennels, Walhalla,SC
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Nice looking Pudelpointer. My pudelpointer has a short coat, too. Enjoy Anne and all your trips around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I have a 3 month old PP female. I researched the breed for almost two years and settled on three breeders. I ended up getting a puppy from Hardtrigger Gun dogs in Idaho.

So far, I’m very pleased. Annie is very smart and eager to please. She is naturally pointing and retrieving already. She has no reservations about getting in the lake. She stays close to me when I’m the woods and while on walks. If she gets to far out front, she will sit and wait on me to catch up.

My boys are 7 and 8. My plans for the next 10 years is to travel the country with them making a pile of dead fowl and upland game that would make Pbiz blush.

Nice looking pup. I also have looked into buying a Pudelpointer one day and have heard good things about them. They are one of the 4 dogs that were bred to create a Wirehair.

Interesting that Whitetail Kennels was brought up. Billy Darby came to West Columbia a long time ago and bought a puppy from a litter of Wirehairs that I had and started Whitetail Kennels with that dog I believe named Jack. I had purchased my male from Treborwolf Kennels and had asked for a dog with shorter hair as I hunted a lot where cockleburrs existed. I bred him to a guys dog that also had shorter hair than normal and the litter was much the same. Shorter stiff hair with a still pronounced beard and eyebrows. He was a great dog that retrieved an entire limit of doves when he was 3 1/2 months old without me getting off my stool. At 4 months he pointed and retrieved 10 quail on a hunt we won at a QU function with Bob Redfern and he said it was the best dog work he had ever seen from a pup.

When Billy got home with the pup, Deb told him to bring it straight back to me as it did not look like a typical wirehair that she had seen. They decided after seeing some of the things the pup could do to keep him--at 7 weeks he was pointing a bird wing and retrieving to hand. They told me he won a ton of medals in Shoot to Retrieve trials against pointers and setters. I did not even know anything about this story until years later when someone was telling me about how good their dogs were. I called simply to inquire about a pup. They did not have any but had just bred one of their males with a dog in Texas. I got in touch with that guy and bought the first male. When I met Deb in Greenville to pick up our 2 pups shipped in the same large kennel, I still did not know the story. In the next week, I received a 5 generation pedigree and in looking at it discovered that one of the first dogs was my Speck. I called her and that is when we discovered what a small world we live in.

9750AAB8-F40F-4146-A5FC-7A810DFCAA4E.jpg
    They will probably be my next pup, or a French pointer.

Question for you guys who own the PP

I live in a neighborhood with an average sized fenced in back yard. I’ve got a pond behind my house that I can use for training and exercise. I was curious on your opinions about a PP living in a neighborhood and their energy levels? This dog would be a waterfowl and upland dog, but above all a family dog. I’ve got a 2 small children and 2 small dogs. I’m looking for a dog that can hunt like hell but still make a good family house dog. The PP has been recommended to me but I’ve never been around them, and was curious how they do in the house but specifically neighborhood living. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by costeen22 View Post

I live in a neighborhood with an average sized fenced in back yard. I’ve got a pond behind my house that I can use for training and exercise. I was curious on your opinions about a PP living in a neighborhood and their energy levels? This dog would be a waterfowl and upland dog, but above all a family dog. I’ve got a 2 small children and 2 small dogs. I’m looking for a dog that can hunt like hell but still make a good family house dog. The PP has been recommended to me but I’ve never been around them, and was curious how they do in the house but specifically neighborhood living. Thanks in advance.
    So far, great. She gets amped up after meals so we typically go for long walks after. Every owner I asked said they were great in the house with a definite “off switch”. I was very clear with the breeders I talked too that I didn’t want a super hyper dog.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post

Britt, Bill mentioned that one of his pups is in Greenville. I've been meaning to call him back and request contact information so we could connect.

So ours just turned 2.5. She has been pretty well trained (I wish by me, but I couldn’t screw this up) which I think is a huge part of the equation. I live on .75 acre and she has a little less than half of an acre in the back yard. I have three kids 5 and under. I’m an elementary school principal and I needed a dog that hunted ducks, upland, and more importantly for us... would be great with the kids. They’ve talked about my GSP since he died and we lucked out being able to adopt our PP a bit older thanks to Bob Farris. She has been perfect for our family. She has a bit of stubbornness, what German dog doesn’t?? But, she is very eager to please, amazing with our kids, smart, Lays down on her bed inside, runs like crazy if allowed outside, gentle etc... just like you’ve probably read online. My wife didn’t grow up with dogs, with young kids she was very cautious. She spoke with bob Farris and other breeders... Based on research and conversation, we narrowed our next to a PP or Braque Francais. We went with PP since waterfowl is what I hunt the most. I run/walk her 2.5-4 miles about daily. That seems to be about right. She’s still calm inside if I don’t for a few days. My GSP HAD to have that exercise, granted I didn’t do as good a job with training him and I’m still love a GSP.

We are in Blythewood and happy to answer any questions. Met a lot of good people through our search. Happy to help.
    8BBEB401-6FCC-4EC3-9F3B-5647D45AA61D.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by costeen22 View Post

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate that. I’ve got a few breeds I’m considering and a PP is at the top. Everytime the topic of a PP comes up so does the name Bob Farris. I know he’s got a dang good kennel, but does he also deal with rescued or started dogs? I’ve been considering getting a started dog regardless of the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Britt, Bill mentioned that one of his pups is in Greenville. I've been meaning to call him back and request contact information so we could connect.
    Yep. PM sent