View Poll Results: If I want more power in a center console, should I...

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy a used motor of desire HP and sell my current motor

5 25.00%
  • sell my current rig as a package, then buy a rig with the HP that I desire

7 35.00%
  • learn to live with the current boat performance.

1 5.00%
  • keep current boat through this season and use the off season to look for new power and or rig.

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Sell Rig as Package or Repower for more HP?

Default Question: Sell Rig as Package or Repower for more HP?

I bought a Key West 2020 CC last year and it has a Yamaha 130 on it. I am looking for a little more umph. Maybe riding around in twin 300's has poisoned me but I think I need 150 or more to do what I need to do with my boat. The 130 pushes it fine but I am thinking 200 is what I would move to or even a 225. The question is, for the hassle, is it better to find a boat with the power I want or go through the engine swap of buying a used motor and selling my current motor? From what I see on the used market there is about $1,500 difference, like for like between 130 and 200 used in my age range. All I can think of is the sand in the vaseline that would be de-rigging the current motor and re-rigging the new motor then demonstrating and selling the current motor. I know I am asking for opinions not facts, but I would like to gauge the collective wisdom of someone who might have been through this. I do like the KW 2020 but am not married to it. Thanks, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

If you like your hull, repower. Boats are high as hell now. Watch the parts forum on THT for an engine you like and hours. Something will pop up. What’s the max HP you’re rated for? Weight of engine is a factor too. If that 130 is a 4stk it’s a 4cyl a 200-225 is going to be a V6 and likely weight 150-200# more. Changes the dynamics and handling quick.

Some seem to think there’s going to be a lot of used toys up for sale soon. You might find a deal. My guess is a lot of those will be higher end CC’s from over-extended guys who just found out they’re really non-essential.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If it were me, I would be looking to sell the rig you have and then buying a whole new package.

To me, that is the easier way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If you like your hull, repower. Boats are high as hell now. Watch the parts forum on THT for an engine you like and hours. Something will pop up. What’s the max HP you’re rated for? Weight of engine is a factor too. If that 130 is a 4stk it’s a 4cyl a 200-225 is going to be a V6 and likely weight 150-200# more. Changes the dynamics and handling quick.

Some seem to think there’s going to be a lot of used toys up for sale soon. You might find a deal. My guess is a lot of those will be higher end CC’s from over-extended guys who just found out their really non-essential.
    I would say that the delta in weight would be in the 125 to 150lb range. That is really only the equivalent of 20-25 gallons of fuel. The ability to jump to plane would overcome any dynamics under power, it would be deceleration I would need to be mindful of with the extra weight. The 2020 has enough width to handle the weight, it would be the wash tray on the transom cutout that could be the issue. However, Key West did offer optional rear seating on these and that would represent more weight load than the larger engine, I think. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I’d hunt a 200 ox66 and sell the 130. Those 115 and 130 4 cylinder 2 strokes are great motors and should be easy to sell.

What is the max HP your hull is rated for? Going over the rated HP can affect your ability to get insurance.

I have an '04 Shearwater that I had lost confidence in the motor. I like the hull, but hated the time in the shop and the uncertainty of when the motor was going to leave me stranded or worse. I priced similar new rigs for about five minutes then decided to bite the bullet and repower with a new 250 instead of the 225 it had. Not an ounce of regret.

Looks like you are rated for 115-200, putting a 200 on there would add about 140lbs assuming you are coming from the 2 stroke 130.

That V4 Yamaha is a great motor and assuming it is in good shape you should not struggle selling it.

Selling your boat as a package tends to suffer when you have towards the lower end of the HP rating.

My thoughts are if you like the hull, repower with a quality used engine. I also only think a repower is worth it to move to a 200 as you likely will not see and top end difference out of a 150, just better hole shot and load carrying. If you have a self bailing deck think about the extra weight as boats tend to take on weight through the years and a bigger engine could give you wet feet at rest. The swap itself really is not THAT bad to do assuming you have a good way to lift the engines.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 05-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.

I would be interested in the motor if and when the time comes to sell it...

Yamaha makes a 4cyl 200 4 stroke that weights 487lbs. The 4 stroke 130 weights 379lbs.

So it looks like an extra 110lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    What year are the boat and motor? Kind of going through the same thought process now. Trying to figure out if I want to buy something more family friendly, repower, or just run with what I have. Looked at new boats on Monday for the first time in over a decade. They are high right now, and dealers seem to still be selling them quickly. Lockdowns have also lead to some delays in boat production and availability. I feel like it will slow down some by end of summer/fall.
    It’s a 99 Hull and motor I think, or at least it’s all original. That Key West 2020 was the follow up to the 1900 Sportsman the hull that practically made that company famous. The 2020 is wider with more freeboard and can carry more hp. There are many out there so I feel like I could replace it if I wanted that exact hull again. If I decide I to sell would list it here first. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Don't get an ETEC- BRP has stopped production forever

That boat will cruise at 4k rpms- best fuel economy - around 30 and top out around 45 with a 150. Deduct a couple mph for a T top.
    Add 5-6 mph with a 200.
    I believe in max HP- always

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    That boat will cruise at 4k rpms- best fuel economy - around 30 and top out around 45 with a 150. Deduct a couple mph for a T top.
    Add 5-6 mph with a 200.
    I believe in max HP- always
    This is my nearshore/lake boat so range or MPH are not my concerns but wakeboard, tube, and carrying the family without heavy breathing are. The fastest boat I fish, ironically, is the offshore boat. I am old enough to remember >30 kts for a bluewater boat was only for drug runners. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    This is my nearshore/lake boat so range or MPH are not my concerns but wakeboard, tube, and carrying the family without heavy breathing are. The fastest boat I fish, ironically, is the offshore boat. I am old enough to remember >30 kts for a bluewater boat was only for drug runners. MG
    150 with a 17 pitch SST prop will do fine for that- that's what I run on my Sea Pro 196- get 45 top and 30 cruise and pull the arms out of their sockets.

I choose D: none of the above. If MPH and range are not prime factors, the solution to the performance difference you're looking for might be in a new prop. I think you'd be best suited in finding a good 4 blade prop to handle the extra weight before going through the hassle of repowering or moving a rig then shopping for a new one. Finding said prop can be a bit of a science experiment. Call Mike down at Skip's Prop Shop in North Charleston. He could prolly set ya right up and reduce your learning curve.

You just gotta decide how much time and effort you want to put in to this project. If you just really want a new to you motor, a new prop isn't gonna scratch that itch. If you want to get to the root of the problem without spending a ton of money and the hassle and time invested in selling/buying boats, then a little experimentation with props might be your best bet. Often time the right prop can make ALL the difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    What is the max HP your hull is rated for? Going over the rated HP can affect your ability to get insurance.
    I'm pretty sure 200 is max rated. I have the same hull in a DC with a 130. I had a fishing partner with the exact hull and a 150. There was no noticeable difference. When I was boat shopping, I saw a lot of the 2020 hulls with 115's. I never rode one but that sure seems small.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I am old enough to remember >30 kts for a bluewater boat was only for drug runners. MG
    Yeah people were dull and strange back then.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
    I'm pretty sure 200 is max rated. I have the same hull in a DC with a 130. I had a fishing partner with the exact hull and a 150. There was no noticeable difference. When I was boat shopping, I saw a lot of the 2020 hulls with 115's. I never rode one but that sure seems small.
    You are correct. The USCG placard states max HP as 200. not sure how that relates to insurance, I have heard differing statements about that; however, 200 would be enough. The only reason for any more than that would just be to expand my search for good used motors.

As of right now, the poll stands evenly split between sell rig and wait until the offseason. Interesting. Thanks for all of the feedback, I thas really turned my thinking from my original leaning. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

MG, Power it up to the max hp on the plate.

Also, I don't think they have a sales tax cap when you buy just a motor.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk