Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Protests in US after handcuffed black man dies...

Yeah, just being nosy. "Quite a bit of time" sounds pretty serious.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I spent 3 years locked up for a trafficking charge. I was in possession of 40 lb of weed and 13 oz of coke. There was a firearm charge in there as well but I was able to use PTI on that charge and that helped a bunch in the sentencing. I say that to say this. I haven’t even had a seatbelt violation in 20 years it took me 9 years to pay the unauthorized substance tax off and after a lot of time and money I have gotten all my rights restored. And anyone who says 3 years ain’t long ain’t never did it.

The old " its just weed " defense didn't fly???
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

One of my friends did 5 years for 400 pounds. You got hosed!

I am proud of you for turning your life around.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Josh is good people
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Way to own it. How hard was it to get your rights restored? I know some old timers that got popped for white collar offenses and they still can't own guns or vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowcountry Boy View Post
    Way to own it. How hard was it to get your rights restored? I know some old timers that got popped for white collar offenses and they still can't own guns or vote.

It cost me $2500 plus 12 years of absolutely no contact with law enforcement and a few good character witnesses. Thankful judge Cagel took a chance on me and it paid off. I was easily reformed freedom is the most precious thing I own I just didn’t grasp that till I had lost it. The hardest part was paying the taxes on the drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The old " its just weed " defense didn't fly???
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    One of my friends did 5 years for 400 pounds. You got hosed!
    The coke is what did me in and if it wasn’t for pti getting rid of the firearm charge I would have got 12+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I spent 3 years locked up for a trafficking charge. I was in possession of 40 lb of weed and 13 oz of coke. There was a firearm charge in there as well but I was able to use PTI on that charge and that helped a bunch in the sentencing. I say that to say this. I haven’t even had a seatbelt violation in 20 years it took me 9 years to pay the unauthorized substance tax off and after a lot of time and money I have gotten all my rights restored. And anyone who says 3 years ain’t long ain’t never did it.
    Thanks for your testimony.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Josh is good people
    I agree. One of the best guys that ever worked for me. Hate he moved to NC

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Josh is good people
    Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    I agree. One of the best guys that ever worked for me. Hate he moved to NC
    Y’all goin make me blush.

I missed that coke part. Yeah, that will jack you up at sentencing for sure. Ahh well. Glad you made it through it and came out with a good perspective. My buddy is the only other person on earth with the combination to my safe...

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    You can’t be serious. Violent criminals that get more than 5 years, apparently, committed a crime that was so egregious, if someone had shot and killed them during the act, the shooter wouldn’t be facing charges. So what’s the difference?
    Charles Wakefield disagrees with your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    If I was Charles Wakefield I would have burnt down Greenville county by myself.

You damn right

I did about 2 minutes of research, and it sounds like he got shafted by the police, the prosecutors, and the jury. It was also 1975, and he was a black man accused of killing 2 white men. One was a cop? I don’t really feel like digging deeper into, but I highly doubt he would be convicted today.

Just look at the recidivism rates for violent criminals, and let me know how well prison rehabilitates them.

You might as well piss in the wind with that response.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I did about 2 minutes of research, and it sounds like he got shafted by the police, the prosecutors, and the jury. It was also 1975, and he was a black man accused of killing 2 white men. One was a cop? I don’t really feel like digging deeper into, but I highly doubt he would be convicted today.

Just look at the recidivism rates for violent criminals, and let me know how well prison rehabilitates them.
    The Murder Ect. Podcast is real good.

You might as well piss in the wind with that response.
    You’re probably right, like I said, I don’t know enough about it. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s pretty rare that an innocent person gets convicted. I mean if Carol Baskins and OJ can get away with it, I think it’s a system that leans pretty heavy on letting the guilty go free to protect the innocent, but nothing’s perfect.

There’s also a greater good that would be served by permanently removing those from society who have proven they can’t get along with others. I mean, there’s a couple of people I’d like to see wheelchair bound for the remainder of their lives as the result of having a baseball bat taken to them, but, alas, they still have use of their limbs. They aren’t worth me going to prison. If I’m gonna risk prison, or worse, it’s going to be for someone that has caused serious pain to one of my loved ones. That person won’t be in a wheelchair. They also won’t be able to hurt anyone again. See, deterrence theory does work.

If we start hanging people again, I’m fairly confident violent crime stats will go down. One of the counter arguments is that people who commit violent crime will do so, no matter the consequences, a point which I concede does apply in some cases. The difference is they’ll only get arrested for it once, and career criminals will be a thing of the past, saving a lot of heartache and money for everyone.
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-30-2020 at 01:14 PM.