Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lay out hunting

Default Lay out hunting

Has anyone here ever tried a layout boat on lakes here in the state? Theres a lake in particular that holds a fair amount of divers during the season, but they dont come near land and seem unable to hunt. Would need a hell of an anchor line and a tender boat but I'm curious how it might work. Seems things that work out west and up north for killing ducks differ greatly than things around here.may give it a shot
    The price is firm.

Try and see.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Hmmmmmmmm
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

You got birds? I've got a spread and two layouts.

Layout boats are a pile of work but fun.

Layout boats require at least 2 people to run. Meaning one guy is hunting while the other is in the tender boat. For some guys that's a deal killer. Everyone wants to be in the hunt.

The other issue is running lines in deep water. It's a lot to manage when you get to places over 30 feet deep. Rigging decoys on long lines is a must.

Shooting from a layout boat is not easy. For a right handed shooter, anything that runs to the right becomes difficult when you run out of swing. Most layout boats have your legs pinned.

I know of someone who did it successfully on Hartwell for years. In other words, it can be done.
    Carolina Counsel

It’s definitely a good time though!!

15647DBB-5889-4C3E-88E0-0D50821644DB.jpg
    Last edited by Ring King; 05-21-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

My back gets tired just thinking about it.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

LOL. Diver hunters.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I got a helluva spread that needs a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    My back gets tired just thinking about it.
    You must be doing it wrong or in a cramped little boat brother. Most times it's hard to stay awake getting rocked to sleep in a layout.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Lots of fun was had in St. Helena in the 70's and '80's if you got the word on when the plantation with the birds was going to shoot. Pintails and cans were worth the work, but it was a lot of effort indeed...

In about '80 or '81, some buddies and I took an old sunfish hull, removed the cockpit, enlarged the opening, and added a faring all around to keep out the slop. Removing the cockpit made the whole thing wobbly, so we had to fiberglass in a keel and ribs. then we painted it charcoal grey. The test run was in Burwell Manning's Bar Pit, which was holding a bunch of ringnecks at the time. After all that work, it rode way to high up out of the water. We killed one ringneck and eight oldsquaws. The ringnecks didn't like the high profile. We dumped it behind a barn. I think its still there.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    In about '80 or '81, some buddies and I took an old sunfish hull, removed the cockpit, enlarged the opening, and added a faring all around to keep out the slop. Removing the cockpit made the whole thing wobbly, so we had to fiberglass in a keel and ribs. then we painted it charcoal grey. The test run was in Burwell Manning's Bar Pit, which was holding a bunch of ringnecks at the time. After all that work, it rode way to high up out of the water. We killed one ringneck and eight oldsquaws. The ringnecks didn't like the high profile. We dumped it behind a barn. I think its still there.
    I have an old sunfish hull I was contemplating such a project. Do you think a weighted keel would make a difference?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    You must be doing it wrong or in a cramped little boat brother. Most times it's hard to stay awake getting rocked to sleep in a layout.
    I'm talking about loading and unloading. And putting out and picking up 6 bags of decoy's. While my buddy is drinking coffee and driving the boat. Actually he doesn't drink coffee, coke zeros.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Mine was 75 pounds. Very easy with 2 people. I was able to manage it by myself on occasion with no problem.

It would take a lot of weight. I don't think l'd try it.

We used to hunt out from the jetties in Georgetown a lot with layouts. Long lines are your friend once you get the system figured out.

My crew adds bags of lead shot to weigh their layout boats down and get her sitting low. They use Kalash and Marsh Monster style layouts from Lake Huron down to Lake Erie and they are deadly.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My first layout was a sunfish as well, cut out the pit and raised the deck, made stringers and new floor, tight squeeze but could hunt two from it. Lots of divers died. One good buddy has beautiful oldsquaw mount from that boat. The rocker is an issue for wary divers.