Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws

Default Chainsaws

Talk to me about chainsaws.

I was using an old Poulon chainsaw and it's just reaching the end of its useful life. Muffler finally fell off and I decided to buy another one.

Went on Amazon and ordered an off brand. Its called Salem Master. It got good reviews and was reasonably priced at $160. I got it and put it together. Finally got out to cut down a tree that had died. It was going well until I took a break. When I went to crank it again it was cutting out. I finally got it going so I started back. When I was just about finished the chain came loose. So I put it back and on tried to crank it again. Nothing.

I go online and look up the best chainsaw and came across a lot of good info on a Husqvarna 460 Rancher. Fairly pricey and $550. Went to a couple local places yesterday and they were all closed. So I look online and find one at the Lowes and Camden. I paid $150 to get the 4 year warranty. Get it home. Put it together. Put fuel and bar oil in and go to crank it. Nothing. I take it back apart and put it back together. This time I cranked on it for 10 minutes. Nothing. So it's going back.

So now what? Are there any decent chainsaws on the market? I'm willing to spend whatever it costs. I just want one that will start. I guess I have this weird expectation that things should work when they are new.

Stihl. From a dealer, not a box store.

Stihl makes a good chainsaw.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Yes, stihl. You bought a Husq? If so id carry it back and get another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Go buy one from a dealer... Wateree trailer for a Stihl, if you want a Husqvarna.. Outdoor Equipment Plus here in Dusty Bend in Camden. If you're coming over this way to return one.

Stihl 271

I'll give you my old Husqvarna and you can use it as a door stop if you need one.
    Last edited by LowcountryBuck; 05-26-2020 at 07:52 AM.

My old Husqvarnas are solid machines.

The only thing but I really dislike about the newer ones is that safety bull**** where it stops the chain when they jump.. basically ruining the damn thing. I'm not sure if Stihl puts those on.

Stihl and if it’s a smaller home and ranch use, get the easy start version.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo ( I own all 3) all make a good saw.

If you’re looking at and like the size/power of the 460 you’ll be remiss if you don’t look at the echo cs-590. Same size engine, capable of a 24” bar and chain, and comes with a 5yr warranty and at a better price point
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Stihl. Have a 271 and 171. My go to 75% of time is the 171 unless cutting larger trunks. It is light, efficient and typically approx. $169.00. At that price you can buy new chains regularly without guilt and don't wear yourself out with heavier saw. Don't get me wrong, need both if doing larger jobs but it helps make work lighter.

Key to a Stihl is knowing how to start correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Stihl 271

I'll give you my old Husqvarna and you can use it as a door stop if you need one.
    This right here. Stihl 271 farm boss and a yellow tab Stihl chain will get it done. Ethanol free gas & a clean air filter will keep it running without any problems. When mine has a dirty air filter, it will cut out at idle speed until it gets hot, then no issues. Clean air filter and back to normal.

Ive had a 455 rancher for 10 years. Never had a problem. Never pulled more than 3 times. Keep good gas in it and bar oil and it will roll on. That said i reall want one of those stihl top handle saws for the boat and little stuff
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

One thing I've learned from all chainsaws is they are all testy when it comes to starting them. They are basically like old two stroke motors that require a little dance be done on the cowling, hold your tongue a certain way, and pull the cord a certain distance and it will start each time. Once I figured that out with my Stihl its been smooth sailing. I had some problems for a while but now its good to go.

Stihl

Ive got the 460 rancher with a 24” bar. I’m not crazy about my stihl ms180 (the pull start recoil is weird) so I picked up the husq from the local dealer after some storms left me with a mess my little saw couldn’t handle. I’ve only got about 10 tanks through it, but it’s fired right up and runs strong when I’ve needed it so far.

Go look at a logging crew and see what’s on their trucks. About every logger I deal with has Husqvarna chainsaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

My older husky is a jam up machine.

My newer Stihl is solid machine.

I don't think husky is the same quality since they went big box.

I will be buying Stihl from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo ( I own all 3) all make a good saw.

If you’re looking at and like the size/power of the 460 you’ll be remiss if you don’t look at the echo cs-590. Same size engine, capable of a 24” bar and chain, and comes with a 5yr warranty and at a better price point
    I'd second the Echo, but any of the 3 orange saws should keep you in business for a long time. Non-ethanol gas is key.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    Stihl. From a dealer, not a box store.
    Stihl's new slogan is "not sold at Lowe's or Home Depot" Saw this in one of their commercials the other day. Kinda made me want to go buy another one

Quote Originally Posted by sc_slim View Post
    Stihl. Have a 271 and 171. My go to 75% of time is the 171 unless cutting larger trunks. It is light, efficient and typically approx. $169.00. At that price you can buy new chains regularly without guilt and don't wear yourself out with heavier saw. Don't get me wrong, need both if doing larger jobs but it helps make work lighter.

Key to a Stihl is knowing how to start correctly.
    This here. Stihl has the 171 on sale for $160 right now and another year warranty if you buy $12 worth of oil. They will add bar oil and gas then start before you leave the store. It is a light saw that starts easy and good for limbing

I have a 20" Poulan with 4 hours that I had put a new carb, fuel lines and filter because I left ethanol gas in it nobody here serviced them. I only use it to cut large trunks then switch to a 16" saw.

Remington per reviews is making the best budget 20" Homeowner saw.

All 2 cycle engines can become satan. I switched to electric pole saw and ran 60v Dewalt chainsaw. Either will not replace gas for heavy work but makes life easier for small jobs like shooting lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk