Thread: Vacation

Default Vacation

For the last 25 years we have traveled somewhere outside the US for vacation, always the last couple weeks of July. This year we are thinking about staying in the US and going somewhere we can drive. If you were recommending somewhere to go that you can drive from SC, post it up. We always go the 2nd-3rd week of July. Family owns a small business and always closes the same 1-2 weeks each year, so can’t change the dates. Thinking about the gulf coast or road trip up thru northeast, Niagara Falls then maybe Maine/Vermont. Give me some ideas?

Maine is a cool state. I would like to get back up there to visit soon.

Wife and I want to do a trip one day where we fly into Missoula, then 2 weeks later fly out of Denver. Rent a vehicle and go to all the National Parks, including Glacier. Go fly fishing for a day or two and just take our time cruising down towards Denver.
    Formerly DM88

For me, late July would push me north or at least to higher altitudes. Mid summer heat and weather is barely tolerable to the indigenous folks in the deep South. Add to that the possibility of surprise hurricane weather and you should probably cross the gulf coast off your fixed-date vacation list.

Maine is pretty incredible.

Start south and work your way up the coast to Mount Desert Island. Spend several days on the island and enjoy Acadia National Park. Hike, bike, sea kayak, eat and drink.

BUT, Pretty much all that stuff is currently closed and I have no idea when it will open. At lot of the states you are going to go into have mandatory quarantines as well, so there's that too.

If it opens between now and then, it gets my vote.

As said above there will likely be lots of restrictions anywhere north. I’d keep it southern and plan according to the July heat

Homosassa for fishing/scalloping is pretty laid back

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Maine is pretty incredible.

Start south and work your way up the coast to Mount Desert Island. Spend several days on the island and enjoy Acadia National Park. Hike, bike, sea kayak, eat and drink.

BUT, Pretty much all that stuff is currently closed and I have no idea when it will open. At lot of the states you are going to go into have mandatory quarantines as well, so there's that too.

If it opens between now and then, it gets my vote.
    Along with the possibly continuing restrictions in the Democrat States, a trip up the Maine Coast from Boston to Acadia National Park, etc, is outstanding. HOWEVER, we learne on our trip up that coast that you probably don't want to go between July 4th and Labor Day. That's when the lines go from a few people to cars backed up for miles. The Bar Harbor population goes from about 3000 to 30,000, although this year may be different.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Mountains of west North Carolina/Tennessee. Trout fishing, hiking trails, winding roads. Don't know what driving through northern states may bring, and flying? Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    Mountains of west North Carolina/Tennessee. Trout fishing, hiking trails, winding roads. Don't know what driving through northern states may bring, and flying? Nah.
    This gets my vote.

I know it's probably already been recommended but it's hard to beat myrtle beach

KRT has a '79 GMC Vandura on blocks behind the shop. Just minutes away from Murray...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    KRT has a '79 GMC Vandura on blocks behind the shop. Just minutes away from Murray...
    Hard to resist this fine location you recommended but decided to go with a trip to Jackson hole, Never been out west. With the COVID-19 increasing In locations, hopefully we don’t get stuck or canceled. Anybody that’s been out that way in the summer, what are some must do’s? Gonna road trip a lot from there, but might want to try a fishing/float trip, and wife will probably want to paraglide (saw a trip and looks popular-not me, don’t do that crap). Post it up, leaving Thursday next week staying 7 days

Have FUN and look into renting 4-wheelers
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That place is awesome. Go to the visitor center and talk with them. They have maps and books that are helpful. Spend your time in Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

and buy lots of edibles
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

like Reese cups and whatchamacallits

You're in for a surprise if you've never been out west. I actually vowed to stop travelling internationally until I saw more of the US after going out there. You can't really go wrong. Grand Tetons have hiking and scenery, Mormon Row is cool to take pictures at before sunset, plenty of lakes to go see. Yellowstone is about an hour and a half away but about 2.5hrs to Old Faithful and a lot of the hot springs. The town of Jackson is cool but very uppity and touristy. People that work in Jackson can't afford to live there if that tells you anything, they live over the ridge in Idaho. Plenty of good restaurants downtown, had a drink at the Million Dollar Cowboy just for the novelty of it.

Didn't fish but I know it's hit or miss depending on time year/snow melt. Since you've never been out west, don't be afraid to just drive around, amazing scenery everywhere.

The Jackson Hole Rodeo is pretty cool for something to do in the evening. Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are amazing.